Optimize this game for low resolutions

• Really… How hard can that be.
    This is how my screen often looks like:

I highlighted the chat/kill-messages/votes for demonstration. That’s like half of my screen just for ui.

• Lol WTF.

What resolution are you playing at?

Just get a bigger screen.

• @lemonater47:

What resolution are you playing at?

I think he plays at 320x240 with FOV 30

• 800x600 with fov 115. I would play on a higher resolution if TB would fix the performance-issues with this game.

• No performance issues here. Just my computer isn’t good enough. Not the games fault.

What are your specs?

• 2x3 GHz CPU, 6 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 560 ti

I know that my CPU is probably the bottleneck, but I can play other games (like Crysis, Battlefield 3 etc) without any problems on high details so I don’t really see why I should buy a new computer.

• Your CPU is weak.

And I never kill the resolution when I reduce the settings. Lighting and shadows are the things that go.

• @lemonater47:

Your CPU is weak.

And I never kill the resolution when I reduce the settings. Lighting and shadows are the things that go.

For me everything goes.

• I’m on 1440x900 and that vote menu does my nut in. 800x600 would make me suicidal.

• yeah I don’t get how anyone could play a game with less than 1280x1024 resolution. I have a 1920x1080 monitor and a 1280x1024 and I hate using my smaller one.

• Stop the performance talk.

People are stuck with low resolutions sometimes, and thats that.

Can we actually fix the issue now? Yes, it is an issue. I run every game at 1024x768, because nothing more is necessary for my old (and small) CRT screen to look as best it can. Best performance vs graphics this way.

Most games don’t have this issue, but this one strangely does. The boxes are so huge that I literally get pissed when people start a vote on someone, simply because it blocks a huge portion of the screen.

Likewise the chatbox is pretty damn big.

I don’t want to hear about “get a better screen” or “better computer” when its about fixing a really simple issue that would make people happier.

• @SFJake:

Stop the performance talk.

People are stuck with low resolutions sometimes, and thats that.

Can we actually fix the issue now? Yes, it is an issue. I run every game at 1024x768, because nothing more is necessary for my old (and small) CRT screen to look as best it can. Best performance vs graphics this way.

Most games don’t have this issue, but this one strangely does. The boxes are so huge that I literally get pissed when people start a vote on someone, simply because it blocks a huge portion of the screen.

Likewise the chatbox is pretty damn big.

I don’t want to hear about “get a better screen” or “better computer” when its about fixing a really simple issue that would make people happier.

^ What he said

• I really feel for affinity here, I´m forced to play on 1024x768 and it is still a pain in the ass sometimes. I´m glad they made the chat a little bit blurry and grey but why

why

WHY

WHYYYYY

WHY ?!?!

…does the votekick table have to be soooo fuckin´ large??? I mean everytime I´m right on the front line, about to engage THIS STUPIDLY LARGE FUCKIN´ BULLSHIT THING pops up and I´m like:
    “Oh great, I cannot engage now, gotta wait ´till he gets kicked for no reason.”

This is the number 1 thing that needs to be done to optimize the game for low resolutions, period.

• OK dude, I’ve been posting shit all week about the difference between CPU and GPU settings and whatnot.

You have a 560ti, you are gimping your Resolution FOR NO REASON.
    Resolution in a 3D accelerated game has very, very little to do with CPU.

The reason your FPS is so low is most likely your CPU sucks. You didn’t say exactly what you have.

I have a 560ti and I get 40-62FPS at 1920x1080 for the most part due to know the difference of the various settings. I have tested it pretty thoroughly.

Basically the quick and dirty way to reduce the load on your CPU is to do the following:
    Do this in console: (make sure your .ini files are not read only, the ones in my documents/whatever

scale lowend

Now quit.

Now go to your UDKengine.ini , the one in my documents/my games/chivalry/config (or something similar to this).
    Look for the following

[XAudio2.XAudio2Device]

[ALAudio.ALAudioDevice]

There is a setting beneath both of these called MaxChannels, by default it is set to 64, change it to 32 and save. If your CPU is stupidly weak, drop it some more, to 24 perhaps.

This will help you a fair bit, easily an extra 10-20 FPS on average, particularly in larger player number areas. You will lose some sound effects, this is the price.

Now, if you have 4gigs RAM and running windows 32bit do the following:

You’re on a 32-bit operating system; currently we automatically cap down an audio decompression value on 32-bit to avoid memory consumption issues. You can, however, try to turn it up.

In My Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config\UDKSystemSettings.ini, find the first instance of
    SoundMinCompressed=1

and change it to
    SoundMinCompressed=3

This may make your game crash every now and then due to running out of memory, if that is the case make it say SoundMinCompressed=2. That should help a little.

If you are running 64bit then it is already set to 3.

After you have done all that fire up your game.

Type STAT UNIT in console
    Join a populated server of your liking.

Play for a little bit, get to a populated area.

Look at the GAME number and the GPU number. (of the STAT Unit stuff to the right of your screen)

If the GPU number is LESS then the GAME number Then you can start bumping up your graphics settings until that GPU number is closer to the GAME number, but not more than it. You probably wont be able to make it more if your CPU is shit. Start by upping your resolution to the native resolution of your monitor.

Enjoy your prettier looking game at no cost to you CPU….

• Thanks for your advice (even though it’s still not an excuse for TB to not fix the game for low resolutions).
    I already tried these except for this “scale lowend”-thing. I will try it, thanks.
    I know that the resolution is not really gpu-related, but it saved me 3-5 fps which can be vital when you have only 30 of them. Actually I wouldn’t mind playing this game in 800x600 since I play all online-games on the lowest possible settings if the ui wasn’t that bad.

• Its all your fault for having a crap computer.

I know minecraft you can change the GUI size manually if you want.

I remember going from a 20 inch CRT to a 21 inch Widescreen LED. Many games GUIs got a lot smaller changing over because of the resolution changes.

• Maybe if they added an “interface” option in the menu where you can scale the size of the UI by percentages. This would allow you to simply scale the UI down to, oh I don’t know, 30 percent, and it would free up your screen. Maybe an even better option would be to add individual scales for each part of the UI. Even in higher resolutions, I feel that some of the UI functions are simply too big, like the chat box for example.