What happened to this game..

• I love Chivalry. I’m lvl 42, have 480 hours played.
    Great, amazing game, fun and visceral.

Then the latest patch hit.

Changing core mechanics this late in the game felt like a slap in the face after all the time and hours I put into honing my archery, swordplay and tactics.
    Hit detection is buggy; most direct hits don’t register, while a sword tip will pass three feet in front of my torso and decapitate me (1h sword, full HP knight…).

This isn’t a latency issue, as I usually run 20-60 ping, 16gig DDR3, 1gig NVIDIA, i7 quad, etc.

Archery, which I’ve played almost constantly for the last 20 levels, is unplayable. Either the arrows go straight through targets, do little to no damage, or randomly 1 shot any class.

The unpredictability of almost every weapon/class combo now makes it impossible to have any sort of tactic, except to wildy LMB 360… which, sadly, seems to be extremely effective.
    (Very low lvl starters are topping charts with the ‘run/spin/lmb’ combo, which used to be easy to counter)

Overnight I went from a consistent 5-1 ratio or better, to a 1-1 or less. I put about 80 hours in after the patch, as I realize some changes need a little ‘adjust time’ to get used to, but the game has been so far removed from what it was that I really have no interest in playing it ever again; I’m actually embarrassed about the people I talked into buying it.

In closing:
    Torn Banner, please fix this clunky mess back into the fun and tactically driven swordplay adventure that it was not long ago. I would love to go back to playing it, and to getting my friends playing, but as of now my mouse is hovering over the Uninstall button, which is something I never thought would happen so soon with this game.

For Malric. Yaa.

-Skooma

• a lot of people feel your pain, friend.

• What game are you playing?

• “I’m doing horrible now so I’m going to blame it on the patch”

That’s kinda what I got from it. And while I do seldom experience the bugs you’ve mentioned, it feels like you’re inflating the issue.

I commonly go 2-1 to 4-1 in games still so it must just be that you’re having trouble adapting to the new patch.

• @lemonater47:

What game are you playing?

I think it’s a lost WoTR fan.

• Skooma, if you don’t like the game then don’t play it. Simple as that and why would you even put this thread in balance and game mechanics. It’s about the patch in general so put it in general discussion.

• The patch for me made the game more challenging. I can’t make a mistake an then just parry like I and many others used to. You swing and miss that’s your mistake. And it should be that way.

And the stamina changes are good too. As you need to watch your stamina bar and mange your stamina.

• What game mode are you playing? I’m the opposite with archery now. I used to go average 1-4 as an archer before the patch and now I almost always have a 3-1 KDR. Archery got way easier not harder with this new patch, atleast IMO.
    The combat mechanics melee wise got way more refined, I almost never experience ghost swings or face-hugs which were really prevalent pre-patch. I do agree however that the 1h/shield stab seems to hit further than the model shows and for what it’s worth parry seems to be a little too easy now.

• i wish they would just revert all the mechanics changes, they were completely unnecessary.

• @Jstorm:

Skooma, if you don’t like the game then don’t play it. Simple as that and why would you even put this thread in balance and game mechanics. It’s about the patch in general so put it in general discussion.

I agree, how dare people have the audacity to complain about a patch for a game they paid for.

• @Targy:

@Jstorm:

Skooma, if you don’t like the game then don’t play it. Simple as that and why would you even put this thread in balance and game mechanics. It’s about the patch in general so put it in general discussion.

I agree, how dare people have the audacity to complain about a patch for a game they paid for.

Not my fault he can’t adapt to the changes. It’s the same in every game no one can ever change. I agree the mechanics changes suck but you just gotta live with it because it’s TBS’s game. I am in on promod though because I know it’ll be better.

• @Jstorm:

@Targy:

@Jstorm:

Not my fault he can’t adapt to the changes. It’s the same in every game no one can ever change. I agree the mechanics changes suck but you just gotta live with it because it’s TBS’s game. I am in on promod though because I know it’ll be better.

You don’t make people fall in love with something and then change it and say “adapt”. That don’t work anywhere.

I think its way, way, way, WAY more arrogant to think people can completely change what you like and what you already bought than saying anything about it can be.

• @SFJake:

I think its way, way, way, WAY more arrogant to think people can completely change what you like and what you already bought than saying anything about it can be.

So you want the game you bought, OP halberd, ghost swings, desyncs, OP kick, no knew content, the list goes on.

If people can’t handle change they should just go buy and old retired game.

Besides, who knows what they may change based upon feedback.

• @SFJake:

Then why am I not complaining? Why am I adapting to the game I still love and spent hundreds of hours on?

• @Jstorm:

@SFJake:

Then why am I not complaining? Why am I adapting to the game I still love and spent hundreds of hours on?

You can adapt to enemy occupation because you once loved your country, but sometimes it’s better to try and change the oppressive government, or just get out. Loyalists versus revolutionaries. I’m not taking a particular stance, but perhaps before anyone attempts to dissuade, we should just acknowledge the differences in biological construction of the human mentality.

• @magilla:

@Jstorm:

@SFJake:

You can adapt to enemy occupation because you once loved your country, but sometimes it’s better to try and change the oppressive government, or just get out. Loyalists versus revolutionaries. I’m not taking a particular stance, but perhaps before anyone attempts to dissuade, we should just acknowledge the differences in biological construction of the human mentality.

I admire your post it’s very intelligent but I wouldn’t say I’m a Loyalist or a Revolutionary because it’s not that I like and wanted the changes it’s that I’m willing to adapt to the changes and I don’t whine that I didn’t get what I want like a 3 year old. I still love the game so I’m still gonna play it.

• The balance council is what happened.Like locusts they decended into the development side and now dictate retarded fixes to the game that they find exciting.Meanwhile 90% of the games players are sitting there looking at this and cursing why core aspects of the game change so much so late in its life cycle.

Honestly they need to go and to revert the last few patches.And anyone who had any say in any fixes other than MAA dodge should be thrown off a cliff.Its was one of the only game breaking issues apart from that chivalry was almost perfect and now look at the state of it ffs.

Idiots and TBS are crooks also.If i buy a nice new car and some tool from the garage turns up some day and removes the roof and tells me the car has been altered to a convertable i would run out and bash his face off the car over and over.Yet somehow in the world of games TBS find it ok to completely change certain aspects.I bet it someone actually took the time to take them to court they would probably be a shitstorm.

• @lemonater47:

The patch for me made the game more challenging. I can’t make a mistake an then just parry like I and many others used to. You swing and miss that’s your mistake. And it should be that way.

And the stamina changes are good too. As you need to watch your stamina bar and mange your stamina.

Made it more braindead from my perspective. Playing defensively is too easy when you can abuse the gaping holes in everyone’s offence with the lack of a combo feint to parry and increased stamina drain. As soon as anyone whiffs a single hit, the duel is over because I’ll just play the stamina waiting game until I can land a stun and finish him with an overhead + a dragged stab into his back.

• @Crysack:

Made it more braindead from my perspective. Playing defensively is too easy when you can abuse the gaping holes in everyone’s offence with the lack of a combo feint to parry and increased stamina drain. As soon as anyone whiffs a single hit, the duel is over because I’ll just play the stamina waiting game until I can land a stun and finish him with an overhead + a dragged stab into his back.

Yeah, this new stamina system is terrible. The game has been reduced to draining your opponent’s stamina as soon as they make the mistake of wasting any stamina, then getting a free kill when they’re stunned for 3 minutes straight.

I’m saying this as someone who abuses this mechanic regularly with the maul. The maul drains stamina a lot when people block it, so all I have to do is wait til they’re stunned and then mash them. It’s boring and feels like a win button. No satisfaction in getting kills that way, and it happens all the time.

Not saying that the maul is overpowered, just that the new stamina + stagger system removes a lot of the skill from the game.

• @rdonnell:

The balance council is what happened.

Uhh… I’m pretty sure this is how the conversation went.

Balance Council: We want X, Y, Z changes because blablabla.<insert more="" arguments="" inbetween="">
    TB: Well, that’s nice.

Patch is released

TB: We’ve looked at “everything” and we ultimately decided what was best for the game.

Why? The clans gave up on the game after the patch was released and are now supporting their own mod. Which is pretty fucking sad.</insert>