Difficult to interrupt windups… possible glitch?

• Allow me to preface this by saying that it could just be a result of the worse general lag that came with this patch, but it seems like it’s really difficult to interrupt windups now.

Hit-trades are far more frequent than they were previously, especially when in a mirror-matchup fighting someone who has the same weapon as you.

It really does feel like hits landing near the end of someone’s windup aren’t interrupting the attack.

This is just a wild guess but:
    @SlyGoat:

Attacks cannot be feinted in the last 200 ms of windup (attack grunt will play at the start of this window).

Is it possible that this mechanic has unintentionally been applied to involuntary windup cancellations (being flinched) as well as voluntary ones (feinting)?

As in you can only flinch people during the feint-window of their windup?

It certainly feels this way.

Even in mirror-matchups with close-range stabs that hit almost as soon as windup is done hit-trades are occurring. This almost never happened before the patch.

Feels like the only safe way to hit someone is with ripostes. Trying to get the first hit in results in a hit-trade with disconcertingly high frequency, even if I’m both using a faster weapon and attacking first.

Anyone want to share their experiences? Is it just me? Am I crazy?

• I had the same thought about the feint window thing, I also feel like there are more hit trades.

• Well all that windup interrupting thing is a little tricky. Desyncs are your worst enemy. Sometimes my attacks get interrupted midswing, long after the windup was finished. And I can’t seem to interrupt anybodies attack. (Depending on weapons. Works for maul and zweihänder for me)

• I find the same thing, constant hit trades, even when you hit way earlier than them. Only the fastest weapons, daggers, cudgel, etc. can actually seem to flinch opponents with any consistency.

At first I thought it was due to the modified attack speeds for most weapons, but then realized that if anything it should be the opposite: most weapons have a longer windup, which should mean more time to interrupt them, but it definitely doesn’t feel that way.

• @Dibbz:

This is just a wild guess but:
    @SlyGoat:

Attacks cannot be feinted in the last 200 ms of windup (attack grunt will play at the start of this window).

Is it possible that this mechanic has unintentionally been applied to involuntary windup cancellations (being flinched) as well as voluntary ones (feinting)?

As in you can only flinch people during the feint-window of their windup?

It certainly feels this way.

I was recently looking at the code in this section for Promod and I highly doubt that is the cause. My best guess is that you’re not used to the new weapon timings, and without feint->parry you’re bound to have more unpreventable hit-trades because you have no option in this situation but to hit as soon as possible.

• @NabsterHax:

….and without feint->parry you’re bound to have more unpreventable hit-trades because you have no option in this situation but to hit as soon as possible.

This is the reason, 100%.

Before the most recent patch, skilled players often tried their best NOT to hit trade—opting instead to preserve their own health by re-angling their blade from the original swing into a parry motion (via “CFTP”) rather than continuing the swing like a robotic newb which would result in a hit trade. This is why fights used to feel “more fluid” and had “faster paced action” which many players are now lamenting.

With the latest patch, when two people go to swing at each other, it’s basically tick-tack-toe. You get a lot of hit trades. This is also the reason why people complain that they have more difficulty fighting multiple opponents. Real-time control over your actions has been eroded.

While this may seem tangential, it’s honestly similar (in an indirect way) to the new two second stun, including the moments right before the stun when you’re almost out of stamina. If you parry, you’ll be stunned. But if you don’t parry, you’ll be hit. Hence, you’re screwed either way before the stun even happens. Control is taken away from your character and you’re forced to just stare at the screen in a passive way, which is what frustrates a lot of people looking for a deeper (aka “higher skill ceiling”) game.

Shara mentions this in his latest video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNiw6iFu … 2LWY9jtgpA

“Parry, attack, parry, attack! MY turn! YOUR turn! MY turn! YOUR turn! This is just ***** boring.”

While I don’t agree with Shara completely, he has a point!!! :x