Archers in Duelmode

• I’m pretty sure threads like this already exist but since nothing happened so far…

Why on earth can archer play in a fucking duel? Really? Especially since the buff it’s just ridiculous. Half of the players on duel servers are archers, I get owned by lvl 5 noobs who just camp or sometimes even hide (like on shaft or shipyard) while I just try to catch them and try not to get hit. How is that the point of the duel mode?

• @afiNity:

I’m pretty sure threads like this already exist but since nothing happened so far…

Why on earth can archer play in a fucking duel? Really? Especially since the buff it’s just ridiculous. Half of the players on duel servers are archers, I get owned by lvl 5 noobs who just camp or sometimes even hide (like on shaft or shipyard) while I just try to catch them and try not to get hit. How is that the point of the duel mode?

yep that’s pretty annoying. All we can do is find a server where archers are banned. In Europe it’s the chivalrious bastards duel server. I love to play there. No damn archers who kill me even before I get close to them.

It’s really frustrating having the throwing weapons banned but not the archers… I mean… ban both or none of them (ban both please!), but as a vanguard I’m pretty annoyed of archers in duel mode. No shield, no throwingweapon. I can try to confuse them with smoke, but that doesn’t work well on moor.

• Don’t ban them, just restrict them to using the pebble sling with no secondary melee.

• Yeah I fucking hate archer as well

• No throwables and no archers! (that means no smokepods too)

Its called duel mode not 1on1 mode…

• Why not allow Archers without ranged weapons but still able to use Javelins in melee? Of course they are at a disadvantage but some people like a challenge - or the backstab bonus.

• Because archers are part of the game, and I’ll be damned if anyone designs an entire class just so they can just remove it later.

• @NoVaLombardia:

I’ll be damned if anyone designs something so they can just remove it later.

Yeah, that would just be silly! :D

• What I don’t understand, is Duel mode can have archers, but other classes cant have throwables? That seems incongruent. Give each class their throwable.

• @Toll:

What I don’t understand, is Duel mode can have archers, but other classes cant have throwables? That seems incongruent. Give each class their throwable.

Give each class their throwables but restrict oil pot.

• What I don’t understand is why you keep playing duel mode, there are plenty good ffa duel servers.

• A duel is no place for a class which solely relies on ranged combat - it’s as simple as that.

• @DokB:

That just makes no sense, and is very arbitrary.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Because archers are part of the game, and I’ll be damned if anyone designs an entire class just so they can just remove it later.

I just dont get it why an archer would play duel.

As a melee the duel mode is a great why to train, since you dont get backstabbed or shot at and have a more controlled enviroment to learn. The archer on the other hand can train his archery skills in other gamemodes as fine as in duel.

On top of that all the other classes get restricted but archer doesnt…

I think most people would agree that ranged weaponry isnt supposed to be in duels, otherwise its just a 1on1. Now that I thought about it some more, let archers duel (so they can train melee too), just restrict ALL ranged weapons (javelin melee would be ok ofc).

• @NoVaLombardia:

@DokB:

That just makes no sense, and is very arbitrary.

It makes sense because every other throwable you need to hit on target yet with oilpot its much easy to land and I guarantee you that you would have more whining about oil pot MaA in duels than anything else that comes from duel mode.

• Don’t remove the class, just remove their ranged abilities.

Backstab bonus still makes for some pretty nasty surprises. I’ve played ranged-less archer several times on duel servers… perfectly viable.

• Or make the vanguard able to throw his his primary and 1hit the archer since vanguard has absolutely no defense against projectiles :P

• @rumpelstiltskin:

What I don’t understand is why you keep playing duel mode, there are plenty good ffa duel servers.

Oh I also play on ffa duel servers, but sometimes duel mode can be fun as well.

• yeah it’sa great way to train for those 1 on 1 situations, but don’t those situations occur against an Archer as well? isn’t it just as useful to train vs an Archer?

i agree though, that bows or crossbows in a duel is a bit strange. how often did gladiators or reckless angry warriors at odds with one another have a duel between an archer and a swordman? and removing throwing weapons for all classes, but allowing full options for Archers also seems…

but what about just highly limiting their ammo?

(i found it very useful to train my dueling with Javeliner just now)

• @DokB:

I guarantee you that you would have more whining about oil pot MaA in duels than anything else that comes from duel mode.

And this proves my point. Your desire to allow projectiles but not oilpots makes no sense. Projectiles are still projectiles.

A bow is an archer’s primary weapon, and can easily be countered. If throwables were allowed in duel mode, then the melee vs melee fights would be more about hitting with your tertiary weapons, instead.

There’s nothing that doesn’t make sense in the current duel mode, except the pool system.