Voice commands bugs/inconsistencies are annoying

• Before I begin, I just want to say I love the voice talent for this game, and whoever wrote the dialogue for the taunts was a genius. It just seems to fit. It makes the experience much more immersive. I love using voice commands to call out threats or just play the role of a medieval warrior.

So this isn’t a thread for hating on using voice commands or the voice acting. I just want to point out some things that bother me.

The one thing that kills a immersive experience for me more than anything is bad, buggy, repetitive, or inconsistent voice acting. There is nothing more annoying than to listen to a badly done voice while trying to play a game.

While I don’t have any problems with the voice’s themselves, there are a few things that are really annoying me. I know it’s still beta, but I still feel like I need to point this out.

1st. New Mason Knight voice is different.
    The new Mason Knight ‘Do objective’ command (Done in beta patch 2) sounds like a different voice actor than the rest of the commands. I don’t think the new voice is bad, but it stands out; sorely. The personality and pitch sound totally different. I think the voice for all of the commands should be the same. I really liked the original voice for the Mason Knight too. I really hope that this command can be redone to match the rest, as it stands out in a bad way right now.

2nd. Both sides Knight ‘respect’ voice bug.
    I don’t know if anyone else has this happen, but the ‘respect’ command for either side’s Knight does nothing. Instead, it plays a Mason Knight pain sound (for either side). Not sure if this has already been reported or not.

3rd. Mason Vanguard voice echoes.
    Not sure what happened during the recording, but a lot of the commands for the Mason Vanguard has some kind of echoing effect; a very noticeable one too. This actually sounds kind of cool given that vanguards wear those helmets, so maybe their voice has some kind of metallic echo. But, the Agatha Vanguard doesn’t echo, so this just makes the Mason Vanguard sound like he was recorded with a bad mic or something.

4th. Agatha Vanguard charging battle cry is a clone of the Agatha Knight’s.
    I think this is a bug, because the standing battle cry is unique, but if you battle cry while charging then it uses the Knight’s. Again, maybe I’m the only one bothered by this, but repeated voice acting just takes away from the experience.

5th. Agatha Vanguard voice sounds forced.
    Ok, this one IS about the voice itself. Not sure if it’s intended, but the Agatha Vanguard’s voice, namely the ‘Do objective’ one on battlegrounds, sounds extremely forced and grating. Again, I’m not saying it’s bad, but it’s just painful to listen to him drag out that last syllable with such a harsh grating voice. To me, it just sounds like he needs a drink. Otherwise, I like this voice.

6th Agatha Archer voice inconsistencies?
    This is strictly speculative, as I may be the only one hearing it this way. I think some of the voice commands sound different from each other, almost as if they have different personalities. Some thing sound more like the Agtha Man at Arms (Louder/Bold) while others are more like the Agatha Knight (Quieter/Noble). I don’t know, but it just sounds a little inconsistent to me.

7th. Voice commands cutting off.
    I’ve had a random bug several times where a voice command will mysteriously stop, or not even play at all. Yet if I try to play it again, it won’t let me until the command ‘finishes’. I’m not sure if others hear the command get cut off, but I won’t. Not sure if this has been reported or not, but while I’m going on about this, I just wanted to point it out again.

8th. Pointless voice commands in FFA and other game modes.
    I don’t think certain voice commands in certain modes should do anything. It’s kind of silly when a guy in FFA is running around killing people whilst screaming “I need help!”. Just a thought.

And those are about it.

There are a few others I’m sure I’ve thought of at some point in time, but those are the big ones that bother me. I hope some of these can be changed before release. Nothing stands out to me more than when the voice acting is buggy or just sound wrong. I know it’s a little silly to be picking on this in a FPS game, but attention to details is a sign of a smart and dedicated development team.

Or maybe I’m wrong? Let me know what you think. I would really like one of the devs to comment on this if they can.

• Good thread, good explanations and I agree to all your points. +1

• Developer

Hey thanks for the feedback.

1st: Mason knight is being played by same guy who did the other takes, those manual takes are carried over from the mod, both mason and agatha knight are in session and not implemented. so the knights are WIP, more to come soon

2nd: same as the 1st ;)

3rd: good observation, that voice (all voices were done by amateur non actors, and the room it was recorded in had bad room sound, i do plan on treating the other vanguard so it matches- wasn’t sure if I should, but now that somebody has pointed it out, it seems like a good idea

4th. agatha vanguard running battlecries are coming soon, just some placeholder in there atm.

5th. redid some of the battlegrounds, 2nd obj mainly. all the actors would lose their voice during the session. each actor had to spend between 8-12 hours recording these, i think currently we are at 3600+ vocal takes, from pain, to grunts to vo lines. The voices would be shredded at times.

6th: I hadn’t noticed, this actor did the work for free as a fan, and we’ve quite liked his work, he is also pete crest from the tutorial.

7th. This is a bug that will hopefully be addressed when some of the more balance/game breaking stuff/optimizations are finished

8th: There aren’t plans to restrict voice commands by mode. It is silly maybe to yell help, but also fun at times even out of context.

There was no budget for voice acting and all those who contributed worked hard and did the best they could. THe overall opinion is that the voice acting is quite good, and I’ve heard worse in AAA games. I’m a stickler for vo mysekf, but there’s only so much you can do with amateur volunteers. I really appreciated the feedback. There’s still more vo to come as noted above!

• Ok. Thanks. Good to know this is being taken at least somewhat seriously.

• I agree about the Vanguard echo effect; it’s inconsistent with the others and yet it sounds really cool.

Oh, and I absolutely love the Mason Man-at-arms voice, especially during the taunts.

• Developer

Haha he’s my favorite too, I actually voiced both MAA’s myself. Been working on VO hardcore for two months now, I am taking it very seriously. :)

• It’s one of my favourite parts of the game. Even once push-to-talk was fixed I found myself sticking to the v-comms. There are some inconsistencies as mentioned, but overall the voices are practically oozing personality.

I just wish the key execution was more efficient. Trying to taunt or laugh in the heat of battle requires almost inhuman finger contortions. Any chance you might look into a system similar to the Tribes Ascend v-comms? When you can spout 3 different commands travelling at 300km/h you just know it’s good design.

• I still can’t listen to the mason archer’s VO without cringing but other than that I’m loving the voices. And of course super psyched to hear the new voicework done for the knights once they’re finished - it’s awesome that you’ve got the same guy(s?) as in AoC for them, because the knight voices were just spot on in AoC IMO.

• @sir_loin:

Haha he’s my favorite too, I actually voiced both MAA’s myself. Been working on VO hardcore for two months now, I am taking it very seriously. :)

I still think Mason MAA sounds like Garfield. And I love it.

• Developer

@SlyGoat:

I still can’t listen to the mason archer’s VO without cringing but other than that I’m loving the voices. And of course super psyched to hear the new voicework done for the knights once they’re finished - it’s awesome that you’ve got the same guy(s?) as in AoC for them, because the knight voices were just spot on in AoC IMO.

Yeah pappas out lead level designer, is a fine actor, if i had 6 more of them, sorry you dont like mason archer, but i swear we could have done worse. Hard to maintain such a bar for 8 voices, but i feel its incredible, mason archer included that there will be 8 people screaming bloody murder as they die, and that what seperates this from other melee multiplayer games, ive heard much worse.

• @sir_loin:

ive heard much worse.

This.

I’m sure if anyone here has played The Elder Scrolls 4, then you might agree about the voice acting.

Granted, you can’t get a voice actor for each character in such a huge world, but repeated voices were so bad that you could literally talk to the ‘same’ person twice just walking down the street, and some characters would change voices in the middle of dialogue if you asked them certain questions because they’re assigned actor didn’t have any lines for that answer. For me, it was maddening (and hilarious).

Thankfully Chivalry did a good job with the voices.