Worst part about Knight sword nerfs

• Every time I go on to a duel server, its almost all vanguards, man at arms, and knights using secondaries. Knight sword vs. knight sword was always the most fun.

• They are still in use, the messer and the longsword are still pretty good weapons, it´s just the SoW that´s now trash.

• @Mechapope:

Every time I go on to a duel server, its almost all vanguards, man at arms, and knights using secondaries. Knight sword vs. knight sword was always the most fun.

I doubt that was the intended effect.

So go vanguard and use your range.

• @gregcau:

@Mechapope:

Every time I go on to a duel server, its almost all vanguards, man at arms, and knights using secondaries. Knight sword vs. knight sword was always the most fun.

So go vanguard and use your range.

1 might want to actually " use " sum skill to play.

• @WARSAW:

1 might want to actually " use " sum skill to play.

its easier if the weapon is OP

• @funthomass:

They are still in use, the messer and the longsword are still pretty good weapons, it´s just the SoW that´s now trash.

I have seen very, very few longswords and even fewer messers.

• I have always been a knight swordsman, I started with SoW but switched to Longsword, and I intend to stay with it, even if they nerf it more. You’re right that you see far less knights using them though. Shame. By far the cleanest weapons one can use.

• @The:

I have always been a knight swordsman, I started with SoW but switched to Longsword, and I intend to stay with it, even if they nerf it more. You’re right that you see far less knights using them though. Shame. By far the cleanest weapons one can use.

Agreed wholeheartedly, though I also javelin archer. I will stand by my longsword forever, even if it still feels a bit off. Easily the cleanest weapon in the game, and a perfect example of Chivalry’s combat system still.

• Most of the guys I’ve fought who support “ProMod” are knights who used to exclusively use SoW or the longsword and feint parry after every missed swing… Interesting.

I’d have been happy if TB kept the sword of war and longsword damages the same so long as they kept feint parrying nerfed. The weapon’s damage was never the problem, it was the feint parrying and over-long dragging that made it unbalanced.

• @DerFürst:

Most of the guys I’ve fought who support “ProMod” are knights who used to exclusively use SoW or the longsword and feint parry after every missed swing… Interesting.

Paragons of the arena, for sure.

• Not having any problem topping the charts with sword of war. Still doing nothing but stab -> combo feint -> stab against knights and VGs, so hits to kill is pretty much unchanged because it was the stab overhead combo which was nerfed. Release speeds are faster too, so I can clean up men-at-arms with slashes and overheads even easier than prepatch.

I don’t use longsword as much as SoW, but since people seem to think the LS is better than the SoW I’m gonna say it’s probably fine too.

• @SlyGoat:

Not having any problem topping the charts with sword of war. Still doing nothing but stab -> combo feint -> stab against knights and VGs, so hits to kill is pretty much unchanged because it was the stab overhead combo which was nerfed. Release speeds are faster too, so I can clean up men-at-arms with slashes and overheads even easier than prepatch.

I don’t use longsword as much as SoW, but since people seem to think the LS is better than the SoW I’m gonna say it’s probably fine too.

I’m still rocking the SoW too. I would probably use the longsword, as it better suits my playstyle, but I absolutely cannot stand the crossguard. It just looks so…bad, awkward and impractical.

As for MAA, why not use a secondary? It’s almost always the same hits to kill, and is much faster. I find the extra range doesn’t help much as MAA will generally spend the entire fight either well outside your range, or right up in your face.

• I’m not a pro player (just rank 39), so perhaps some people here with a few hundred more hours than me could weigh in: ;)

Just how much more reach does a SoW or Longsword offer over the Broadsword, Norse Sword, or the now-feared archer’s Shortsword?

Because in my experience—for example, wielding a longsword and dueling someone with a broadsword or even archers with a shortsword—it seems like any “extra range” offered by the knight’s primary is almost negligible. Obviously it’s slightly longer, but often times I feel like a swing or stab from a longsword/SoW won’t connect any better than an enemy’s shortsword stab or broadsword. Post patch, this means that I most often opt to use my secondary (broadsword or mace) over the primary as a knight for the increase in speed and comparable damage output.

• It’s a good thing the broadsword has been my favorite weapon from day 1. Although now I’ll primarily use it on the MAA. Only reason I mained knight pre-patch was for the longsword/broadsword combo I loved so much.

• @SlyGoat:

Not having any problem topping the charts with sword of war. Still doing nothing but stab -> combo feint -> stab against knights and VGs, so hits to kill is pretty much unchanged because it was the stab overhead combo which was nerfed. Release speeds are faster too, so I can clean up men-at-arms with slashes and overheads even easier than prepatch.

SlyGoat, you are one of the game’s developers, are you not? I’m not looking for an argument but am very interested to hear if I understood your post correctly. Is that stab/combo feint/stab-move the one where you strike, then start another attack as combo, then cancel that second attack and start a third attack? Thus allowing you to perform a faster second attack than the combo would allow? Isn’t the idea that a combo is the fastest way to perform two attacks in arow? Or rather should’t it be so?

• @SlyGoat:

Oh, topping the charts, with feints
    As long as you patch the game for your own needs and exploit as much as it goes…

Well, at least I know where those bad “high ranked” players and funky weapon changes come from now…

• @playerx:

@SlyGoat:

SlyGoat, you are one of the game’s developers, are you not? I’m not looking for an argument but am very interested to hear if I understood your post correctly. Is that stab/combo feint/stab-move the one where you strike, then start another attack as combo, then cancel that second attack and start a third attack? Thus allowing you to perform a faster second attack than the combo would allow? Isn’t the idea that a combo is the fastest way to perform two attacks in arow? Or rather should’t it be so?

Combo is the fastest way to perform two attacks in a row (except for very niche cases such as the Bearded Axe), but you don’t want to combo into an overhead with the SoW. Ideally you want the enemy to think you are, and then hit him with a feinted stab, hence combo feinting into stabs repeatedly, because the SoW stab is devastating.

This is also one of the reasons I think LS will always have a certain edge over the SoW, because it can combo its strongest attack one after the other so its feints are less predictable.

@Uglyshit:

Oh, topping the charts, with feints
    As long as you patch the game for your own needs and exploit as much as it goes…

Well, at least I know where those bad “high ranked” players and funky weapon changes come from now…

You mean all the changes to make feints weaker? Yes, those were primarily my doing - feints were unarguably too strong before with the ability to feint in the final ms of a windup and no-risk combo. But feint is a game mechanic, and if you don’t use it you’re not taking full advantage of the combat system. I use feints, kicks, accelerations, delays, combos, and the new combo parry and recovery parry as necessary. If I can beat someone by feinting them, I will - if I can outlast them in a stamina war, I will - if I can backstab them when they’re fighting someone else, I will. When I play, I fight against my opponent, not against myself :)

• Feints are still very low risk/high reward. If you feint someone and they DON’T fall for it, you don’t really get punished for it. It’s far easier to make someone parry a feint than it is for someone to actually punish a feint.

• @AngryDave:

If you feint someone and they DON’T fall for it, you don’t really get punished for it.

Except for the part where they attack you during your feint.

• But they would have to predict/luck/guess a feint is coming rather than ‘read’ it for that to happen. And even then the feinter can often still parry that attack if the enemy isn’t using a fast weapon.

I think the shorter feint window actually makes it harder to punish even though it makes it easier to read.