[FIX] Incorrect display of German Umlauts



  • Workaround for the broken German Umlauts issue, introduced in CU1 Patch 2, as described there: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=14826&p=150007&hilit=german#p149425

    You need to change the encoding of the language files from originally “UTF-8 without Byte order mark” into “ANSI”.

    I myself have used Notepad++, Windows Notepad should do the job too.

    1. Open your file explorer, browse to your Chivalry installation folder.
    (if you don’t know, it’s lying inside your Steam directory)

    2. Find the German (DEU) language files in the Chivalry Localization folder.
    [attachment=1:1673cl4s]chiv-fix-german-localization01.png[/attachment:1673cl4s]

    3. Load them up in Notepad++ and convert to ANSI, each one of them.
    [attachment=0:1673cl4s]chiv-fix-german-localization02.png[/attachment:1673cl4s]

    I did that for the live and beta version and haven’t experienced any broken letters since then.

    Let me know, if that worked for you, too.

    Byebye



  • Thanks for the hint! :)



  • Very strange that they are using a version of UTF-8 that doesn’t have the proper German symbols. It works for in game names fine.

    UTF-8 has the capability to encode pretty much all characters from all languages at once. Even non Latin alphabets.

    Chain hint it to another form of UTF-8 should also fix this problem too. Unless something else is at play here.

    Edit: hang on they are using UTF-8 BOM. Byte order mark. I almost forgot that’s what BOM stood for. It has issues which it shouldn’t. I was doing some translating and I couldn’t get special characters to work either. As I was using UTF-8 BOM. I changed it to just the normal UTF-8 and it worked.

    And Unicode themselves don’t recommend the use of BOM. So why are torn banner using it.



  • Most of the files were encoded as UTF8 non BOM. I just converted them to ANSI and now it is fine. :)



  • @lemonater47:

    UTF-8 has the capability to encode pretty much all characters from all languages at once. Even non Latin alphabets.

    That’s why I wasn’t convinced at first this workaround would work well before actually testing it, but was being too annoyed of this issue than to not having tried out any possibilities, and well, that did it. No idea, what they screwed up in CU1 Patch 2 to make this necessary.

    @Jan: Glad to know, it helped you. Hopefully you are just the only one thanking for that, not the only one profiting from that. :)

    The mods are free to pin this up somewhere, if they like. Guess that this minor bug likely isn’t going to be fixed until TB has got over 9000 programmers. So it might be of some usage for a while.


Log in to reply