I'll buy the 50$ pre-order if…

• …. a dev jumps in here and tells me that they plan on creating an awesome RPG using the same combat system after they are finished with C:MW. :P
    blackmail

• They can tell you, but they can also lie.

• I suppose they could …
    But I’m willing to risk it ;P

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqLdqv5MVZg

I’m sorry. I had to. Ololol.

• Developer

It would be a lie to say we haven’t thought about doing just that! Although in the end it was decided that our team size wouldn’t be best suited to tackle a project like that, perhaps in the future though.

• @Tibberius:

perhaps in the future though.

That’s enough for me. :P
    typinginthepaypaldata

See ya on the battlefield. ;)

• If you do ever make a Chivalry RPG, it should be a non-MMO multiplayer game like Diablo and Torchlight and such IMO. I don’t believe anyone has done a first person multiplayer session-based action RPG like that (or at least done it well) except Borderlands which is primarily a shooter. All of these companies trying to make first person action MMOs or first person action RPGs without multiplayer support are really missing an incredible profit potential in filling that niche.

Also, you should make a turn based tactical RPG that turns into a 2D fighter when two units engage eachother. That’d be awesome.

• Never played Dark Messiah?

http://youtu.be/uiDfZTiiaZU

Which was inspiration for AoC on the Source Engine.

• Just join forces with CCP and make a medieval version of Eve Online. Starvault tired with Mortal Online, but they’re just not getting there. a TON of people want the basic game that I’m describing. Huge world, one server, PvE and PvP content, hardcore full loot, full crafting system, no WoW theme park style BS.

Or even join up with Starvault. I think their game is already on the Unreal engine too isn’t it? Man this combat an mmorpg would be so amazing – maybe just a hint more of RPG and less arcady, but not too far!

• Developer

To clarify, Dark Messiah was not the inspiration for Age of Chivalry. Not sure why Mkilbride feels he can talk for the devs.

• @Mkilbride:

Never played Dark Messiah?

I fail to see how Dark Messiah qualifies as a multiplayer RPG? I mean, maybe in the same fashion as DotA is a multiplayer RPG… even Hexen would’ve been a better example, at least it had some kind of co-op. Is TF2 a multiplayer RPG? You get loot, right?

• @AbsurdParadox:

Just join forces with CCP and make a medieval version of Eve Online. Starvault tired with Mortal Online, but they’re just not getting there. a TON of people want the basic game that I’m describing. Huge world, one server, PvE and PvP content, hardcore full loot, full crafting system, no WoW theme park style BS.

Or even join up with Starvault. I think their game is already on the Unreal engine too isn’t it? Man this combat an mmorpg would be so amazing – maybe just a hint more of RPG and less arcady, but not too far!

MO is on UE3 & Atlas, but heavily modded to fit their needs.
    It’s also pretty broken in all different kind of ways … it would be better to start from scratch tbh.

The demand for an medieval/fantasy version of EVE is there, or an UO 2 if you wanna put it that way. I’m pretty sure about that… =)
    But it’s a huge project, really, really huge. There’s much more you have to consider for such a game, than CCP has to for their heavily instanced spreadsheet MMO. Design- and technical-wise.

• I really don’t want to see TBS make the same mistake others have made and attempt a precision melee MMO. It just doesn’t work - you can’t get the hit accuracy required with the huge, busy, high ping servers that MMOs require. Server software at the moment can’t handle it, not to mention all of the hurdles you’d have to jump over to optimize it. Not to mention, skill based MMOs are still an extremely niche market - most MMO players just aren’t interested in truly skill based gameplay, even the ones that play WoW “competitively”. Last thing TBS needs is a hugely ambitious project like an MMO to be a commercial failure and set them back who knows how far. How many much larger developers has that happened to already? Some of them never recover. Least of all the ones who call their game a “WoW killer”.

• ^this

If TBS ever attempts to make an RPG using the aim based combat system like in Chiv, they really shouldn’t make it an MMO, co-op with up to 4 players is enough. ;-)
    Unless ofc, servers and engines are ready for it by then… ;P

• @Mkilbride:

Never played Dark Messiah?

Which was inspiration for AoC on the Source Engine.

That game is pretty awesome. Btw did you know that the same devs behind that game are the ones making Dishonored? 8-)

• Ah, didn’t know about Dishonored, nice.

As for talking for the Team; I read it on the older forums years ago when AoC came out. I was on Moddb and a developer mentioned it as a game that gave them many ideas.

• Dishonored looks sweet; I have that pre-ordered on Steam. Dark Messiah is also very cool and I’ve been playing that on and off for years. Still works pretty well using crash fixes.