Javelineer Class

• Hi all,

Im a new player had the game for five days but having a total blast!

Ive played all the classes but one surprised me was the archer class with a javelin set up. Its pretty good in melee and you have enough time to launch one before you enter melee combat.

I find when playing the archer with a javelin set up… it becomes a totally different class, due to low about of spears you can carry I tend to only throw as Im engaging or if a enemy is trying to flee. So really why not make it a separate class?

I wouldnt change nothing about it apart from one thing, give the Javelineer the same health pool as the man-at-arms and thats it.

I was also thinking maybe take away the flail from the Knight class and turn that into its own class, make it wear chainmail and have same healthpool as the vanguard. It would bring more shield-play style fighting because its only been 5 days and i mainly only see mass vanguards wielding 2handers, followed by knights (usually 2 hander) then mainly crossbow archers.

Im totally happy with the game, I dont mind being 1 shotted by most weapons as Im a archer after all. But that being said, trying to assist my team near the frontlines is risky business as you get them crazy charging vanguards mindlessly swinging and TK me in the process. Although when you have a team that are aware of their surroundings I can kill and also help teammates out by making the enemy flinch as they attack because the spear has a half decent reach.

• @Collosius:

I wouldnt change nothing about it apart from one thing, give the Javelineer the same health pool as the man-at-arms and thats it.

I have tried to champion the javelineer but I gave up, i don’t think anyone plays it on the balance council or at TBS so I moved on.

Its armour, not health pool, but I totally agree that it is an easy change. Making a new class is not going to happen though.

Personally I would like to see better versatility per Troy movie, but I don’t see it happening except in a mod.

If ProMod fixed the javelineer I would jump on board with that project.

• Dont give up on javelineer greg!

Ashame that TBS nor the balance council play this set up, I do hope one day they will take alook into doing it as I think it would make the game more diverse.

• I play the javelins occasionally, but usually not because even the inexperienced OP hit the nail right on the head with the kit’s unfortunate problems. Buckler shield is also not a phenomenal shield right now, so that adds to it.

I’d be all for a skirmisher class. I’ve supported the notion before. Unfortunately it’s an awful lot of work :(

• The Javelin setup is very different to the rest of the classes. It takes a different playstyle that doesn’t fit in with the rest, which is partly why it is hard to learn. The buckler is also very challenging to learn to use initially.

That being said, I’ve seen a couple of excellent javelin players, which is good, I mimicked their strategy and tactics and it works very well.

Generally they choose the short-spear (the 2nd javelin), mainly because the way you play you need the speed of reload. You are throwing at fairly close range and if you don’t recover in time from a throw you will die. The Short-spear recovers very quickly. Hit and run is the way to go.
    Obviously maps with ammo-boxes nearby are better suited to javelin style.

• @Toll:

The Javelin setup is very different to the rest of the classes. It takes a different playstyle that doesn’t fit in with the rest, which is partly why it is hard to learn. The buckler is also very challenging to learn to use initially.

That being said, I’ve seen a couple of excellent javelin players, which is good, I mimicked their strategy and tactics and it works very well.

Generally they choose the short-spear (the 2nd javelin), mainly because the way you play you need the speed of reload. You are throwing at fairly close range and if you don’t recover in time from a throw you will die. The Short-spear recovers very quickly. Hit and run is the way to go.
    Obviously maps with ammo-boxes nearby are better suited to javelin style.

I actually find myself not needing ammo boxes anymore with the ability to pick javelins from the ground as well as your hopeless victim :lol:

• In reality your cant rely carry many anyway. Many javelineers modified their sheilds to carry javs. It also made it easy to get at them. The most commen way was to have two in an X shape. Larger shields could carry about 5.

Sometimes they had a bag on their back that could carry about 4 javs.

Ancient skirmishes had massive bags of javelins that could easily be dragged when they fell back by two people. There’s only a few drawings of these bags and its mentioned by both Roman and Greek historians. In most writings from anyone these skirmeshers tossed many more javs than a man could carry which further supports this. A large bad of 40 javelins could easily be pulled by two people at running pace.

Medieval javelineers mostly did it the roman style. Throwing a spear before running in. This was a tactic used by smaller forces against a larger force. And they would throw as many javs as they could carry into the enemy as they charged or the enemy advanced. A popular tactic of bandits against patrols.

• @SlyGoat:

I play the javelins occasionally, but usually not because even the inexperienced OP hit the nail right on the head with the kit’s unfortunate problems. Buckler shield is also not a phenomenal shield right now, so that adds to it.

I’d be all for a skirmisher class. I’ve supported the notion before. Unfortunately it’s an awful lot of work :(

Thank you for replying to my post, I think the buckler is fine. A heater shield would slow down movement too much. I agree that some attacks dont get blocked by it but that maybe due to lag.

Is there really that much work involved to alter the armour of the archer to the same as the man at arms? I think that route would be the least work required you wouldnt even need to change the archer armour skin :)

• Why not just give the MaA a javelin?
    Oh and give me the option to ditch the shield and parry with the javelin while you are at it thank you very much.

• I actually find myself not needing ammo boxes anymore with the ability to pick javelins from the ground as well as your hopeless victim :lol:

I find that the Jav’s aren’t always recoverable, it is much better since the last Big patch. However eventually I run out (I live a long time). Then I’m stuck with a shortsword and lolucker