Bravo on the voice acting..

• I have to say that I just love the voice acting for this game for the most part, especially the Mason and Agatha knight. Totally professional and excellent booming voices they have. World class. Who are the voice actors?

Mason Vanguard could use some work though. He sounds like this guy, 21 from Venture Bros: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dwL8ESU97s

• Its the one thing nobody can bitch about because its so good.

• A mixture if the development team and friends of the team were the voice actors I think one of them said.

• I love the countless lines that exists in this game, funny and otherwise, the screams, the charging and the beating on your shield while screaming stuff.

Sometimes the game just takes me into this barbaric medieval vibe and I find it kind of epic, and that would just not be possible without all the brilliant voice acting. They just really got that feeling right.

• The vanguards taunts are fine. It’s the Agatha maa that need work IMO. ‘You smell like a woman’ and ‘you call that a coat of arms’ aren’t funny? They don’t hold a candle to ‘you should be women, and yet your beards forbid me to interpret that you are so’.

• yeah the voice acting is a huge part of the game’s appeal. wish we could keybind the x+1 etc to a single key though

• @RavenDice:

Its the one thing nobody can bitch about because its so good.

i don’t complain about the character models either because i think they’re hillarious.

• @wyrda78:

The vanguards taunts are fine. It’s the Agatha maa that need work IMO. ‘You smell like a woman’ and ‘you call that a coat of arms’ aren’t funny? They don’t hold a candle to ‘you should be women, and yet your beards forbid me to interpret that you are so’.

Don’t tell me you don’t smirk every time you hear “Your sword looks a little short, if y’know what I mean.” ;) My favorite from him, though, would have to be either “Oh, it would appear the peasants have risen up and found swords” or “It’s a fine peasant rebellion you’ve got here.” Both delivered in this very haughty, very dismissive tone. I love it.

Anyway, yeah, the voice acting provides half of the fun and laughs in this game for me. The music is good, too, quite atmospheric.

• I hated him at first, but the Agathian Archer has slowly grown on me and is now my favorite character in the game. I’ll take that pinhead over the Mason Bandito and day.

• Agatha archer is my favorite, it’s perfect. " Come here, and fight me like a man" Haha :D
    Mason MAA comes right next :P ( but all the others are awesome too )

Would be great if they come with new voice acting some day :)

• Sir Loin AKA Buckley, the sound engineer did the voices of both Men-at-Arms, while BodyOfTheMany AKA Pappas, ex-level designer, did both Knights. The other voices were various friends and acquaintances of the two, and as far as I can tell they were paid primarily in beer.

I think it’s really about the technique more than anything. I think Buckley said something to this effect in the interview he did a while back, but basically most studios do their voice acting and the people doing the voices have never played the game, barely even know what it’s about or what their character’s motivation is, they’re just paid to read lines off a script. Buckley sat these guys down and played the early stages of the game with them, had them lopping off heads and slaughtering peasants and got them acquainted with exactly the kind of atmosphere in Chivalry - gritty and brutal, but also fairly ridiculous and humorous. And I think as a result, they captured that perfectly in the delivery of their lines, which were only loosely scripted and involved a lot of improvisation which I think is also an important thing in making the dialogue sound more natural to the character, because every line takes on a part of the voice actor behind it and gives it a more solid feel.

I think all of that along with the dedication and talent of the actors themselves is why our ragtag group of amateurs can pull off the VO better than most professional voice actors in the games industry.

• Another point Buckley made was that, because these guys were not professional voice actors, they could fuck their voices over with screams. Pros have to worry about damaging their instrument, these guys were asked to shred their voices for some beer. That’s awesome.

• @Sidewinder:

Another point Buckley made was that, because these guys were not professional voice actors, they could fuck their voices over with screams. Pros have to worry about damaging their instrument, these guys were asked to shred their voices for some beer. That’s awesome.

Yeah exactly, this part really made me smile thinking about you guys screaming like psychos in your basements … :D
    You burn’d your voices out like Hendrix did with his guitar.

And i had the feeling that Buckley did the two MAA yeah ^^ But i never imagined that only one actor did both knight’s voices :D

• Yeah I still don’t like the Mason Vanguard voice. Well not so much the voice but the fact he sounds too American for medieval era. Kinda find him immersion breaking.

I guess the same could be said about the Mason Archer but I don’t hear archer voice commands very often.

• @AngryDave:

I guess the same could be said about the Mason Archer but I don’t hear archer voice commands very often.

Christ, what server do you play on?

Archers are the primary suspect for voice abuse in Aus servers. All that taunting from afar, “NO! NOOOO! NO!” spam coupled with “AHA YES! MAYBE IF YOU THROW ENOUGH OF THEM, ONE MIGHT ACTUALLY HIT ME!”

• @wyrda78:

The vanguards taunts are fine. It’s the Agatha maa that need work IMO. ‘You smell like a woman’ and ‘you call that a coat of arms’ aren’t funny? They don’t hold a candle to ‘you should be women, and yet your beards forbid me to interpret that you are so’.

No… The Mason Vanguard’s voice sounds awful. He sounds like a midwestern nerd living in his mother’s basement.

• I like the Mason Vanguards voice. I think the actor captured the smoke pot inhaling, deranged psychopath, sexually open lunatic very well.

• Developer

“Sir Loin AKA Buckley, the sound engineer did the voices of both Men-at-Arms, while BodyOfTheMany AKA Pappas, ex-level designer, did both Knights. The other voices were various friends and acquaintances of the two, and as far as I can tell they were paid primarily in beer.”

This is primarily true, tho they were tipped out. I can’t tell you how hard we laughed doing the voices too. Was one of the highlights of my life, and thanks for the kind words, it was difficult and scrappy but we are all really proud of the results. We went for dire rage and desperation with a splash of hilarity.

I’ve paid attention to the feedback, praise and disdain. Some of the faults couldn’t be helped, mason vanguard bailed on me and i had to train from boston to philly and capture the current voice in a philly ghetto in one 8 hour session. poor kid couldnt talk for days. Anyhow, I can’t wait to do it again, cuz it was basically a great guestimate executed by some helpful and fun guys i know… I learned alot.

• The voice acting makes this game what it is tbh, “I thirst…FOR BLOOOOOOD!” still makes me smile.

• I’d really love to see some scenes where you recorded that stuff. Must’ve been hilarious.

Oh and the same person doing both Agatha AND Mason Knight?
    Boy, his voice must be flexible as fuck. Mason Knight sounds like nothing I’ve heard so far ever. And I’ve heard alot of…interesting voices. Did ya modify anything?

And Yes, voice acting is REALLY well done.

@DokB:

I like the Mason Vanguards voice. I think the actor captured the smoke pot inhaling, deranged psychopath, sexually open lunatic very well.

signed

@DokB:

Christ, what server do you play on?

Archers are the primary suspect for voice abuse in Aus servers. All that taunting from afar, “NO! NOOOO! NO!” spam coupled with “AHA YES! MAYBE IF YOU THROW ENOUGH OF THEM, ONE MIGHT ACTUALLY HIT ME!”

“That’s a pretty big sword, you compensating for something?” “HEEEELP! HELP MEE! HELP! IIII NEEED HELP!”
    And so on and so forth. xD
    Archer’s voice commands have literally no “cooldown” that’s why I love spamming them. :D