I feel at a disadvantage playing in first-person.

• So I learned the game in first person even though playing in 3rd made the game feel more “epic” to me. Lately, I’ve been feeling like a lot of players have more spatial awareness than I do. I flank a guy and he notices me or they’re running and not facing me yet suddenly turn directly at me and attack as if they knew I were there and were ready for it.

I’ve upped my FOV to 110, yet I still feel like people are able to see more than me.

3rd person makes knowing where a person is ten times easier. Those pesky MAA that run and do circle around you are far easier to locate when in 3rd person.

The only reason I continue to play first person is because I learned to parry that way and suck miserably at parrying in third, but I feel this is just a minor adjustment I’d have to make.

Upon searching for low ping first person only servers, hardly any show up. From what I gather, the community seems to think first person is the “correct” way to play, but the community of servers doesn’t seem to support that.

Maybe I’m just imagining things and I suck, but I feel like I’m at a disadvantage.

• @lufia22:

The only reason I continue to play first person is because I learned to parry that way and suck miserably at parrying in third, but I feel this is just a minor adjustment I’d have to make.

Pretty sure it’s easier parrying in 1st anyway.

• Spatial awareness is larger in 3rd person no doubt.

First person has more “weapon awareness” at least in my opinion.

Spatial awareness in 1st person gets easier over time, I personally play at 110 FoV aswell and dont really have a problem with enemies flanking me but that comes more from experience than anything.

• There’s a few things I like about third person.

• No more back pedaling and wondering why the hell I can’t move backwards anymore. I can see it what I’m about to run into.

• It’s much easier to see the full breadth of my weapon swing. Being better able to see my swing opens up a lot of possibilities. For example, looking to the side of my enemy, priming my swing, and then turning at the last second. This is something that I’m not as precise at with in first person as I find the depth perception better in third person. I don’t have to look straight at my enemy to have good awareness of where they are and seeing your weapon from a more top-down angle allows me to judge its distance easier than a straight-on view.

• I find 1 vs many fights far easier to keep up with in third person. It lets me see enemies trying to flank me a lot better and allows me to position myself accordingly, whereas in first person I feel like I have to take my eye off someone much more frequently due to the more limited vision.

• There is one big issue I have with third person: Its third person. Why would you like to play a game with a floating camera behind you? Okay it gives you a minor wallhack. Which is actually another argument against third person. It just takes away atmosphere and tactical depth from the whole game.

• I use 3rd person from time to time, I got it binded on Q, and use it to look around wall and such. Its in the game, and if the server doesn’t disable it, then I use it, because others can and will.

Using it in combat I find is impractical, but if you,re playing Vanguard and charging in a big group of 5+ people, it can actually be incredibly useful to keep proper distance.

The thing I have with this game is that I find it pretty hard to gauge distances in first person. I don’t know what it is about it. In 3rd person however, its really easy. Unfortunately, I too can’t parry for crap in 3rd person, so when fighting seriously I just never do it in 3rd person.

I have a 105 fov. 3rd Person doesn’t really give more awareness that much. It lets you see your swings around you yes, but it doesn’t let you see people far away on the side or behind you before they hit you.

And a good player doesn’t let that happen as much as he can, or he’s dead already.

The number 1 tool for awareness is sound. Characters in this game tend to have pretty a heavy feet. Its very easy to hear them and my ears have saved my ass countless and countless times.

Besides that, its just a very natural and obligatory skill to look around you often. When engaging in combat, look around before you do, it can save your life.

Really in the end, 3rd person is only really useful to look around walls and obstacles. Which for that, I find is very useful. I’d also like to be in 3rd person when I get shot by a god damn arrow, just to know which direction it came from.

• I find overall that third person is an advantage. There are only two problems. It’s harder to block (imo), and the dot isn’t in the center of the screen (especially if you use the left or right third person views, which give you the biggest spacial awareness). This makes it harder to put your center dot on people and get the chase bonus and also to aim throwing weapons (who would archer in third person?!).

• 120 fov, high mouse sensitivity, look around alot.

• @Psyfon:

120 fov, high mouse sensitivity, look around alot.

And have good speakers/headset. You can hear voice commands clearer, you can hear armour clanking close by, attack queued grunts (this is the most important when against anyone not using a Claymore), the pitter patter of a MaA closing in, a Vanguard charging etc.

I’ve been saved plenty of times by keeping an open ear and knowing that there is a fight going on behind me or that a MaA just missed his stab to my side.

• Officially the fov needs to be locked to 90.I dont really know how its acceptable to use 120 FOV when nearly every single game out there uses 90 FOV’s.

I play 95 fov 1st person and i really hate it when people in third and 120 use it to thier advantage.It makes chivalry a complete joke and kills competitive matches.I mean some people out there actually take this game seriously for comps and tournys when you do not even have standard setups or configs.

What is the difference in someone using high fov or someone using white walls cheat in counter strike? The difference is in chivalry its actually accepted and in counterstrike its called configging and would get you a ban from the competitive scene for life.I still remember the names of notorious configgers from CS 1.6 like AnNuM lol.

And there was a thread on crushed a few days ago that got closed down.Whoever owned the screenshot had a fov of like 150+ and the lowest of the low graphics settings.You can just tell how sad some of these people are that need to get the highest advantage possible.

All approved by TBS as well it is a joke.

• FoV adjustment is purely up to the players preference. It doesn’t adjust your weapons lengths, it just changes your field of view to what your comfortable with.

Some people are comfortable with 90 FoV. Others prefer 110+

And then there are those weird people who use anything above 120 and their screen looks like stretch armstrong.

I also think it comes down to that rule where the option is there for everyone, so you can use 120 FoV if you want to as well.

Having a locked FoV is a big no no.

• @rdonnell:

when nearly every single game out there uses 90 FOV’s.

What games are these?

• @BB:

@rdonnell:

when nearly every single game out there uses 90 FOV’s.

What games are these?

Older games use default 90 fov like cs, tf2 I believe.

• ‘default’ is your word there, it can be adjusted in those games…

Also, I use 118 FOV. Any less and I fell like the movement speed is crappy slow, (at 120 I tend to get clipping, 118 is the sweet spot for me). I also get a bit of motion sickness at 90…

It comes at a cost, the higher your FOV the harder it is to judge weapon distance. The Zwei hits me more often that I would like because I always miss-judge the distance on it.

So get off your high horse and play the game the you like it, and let others play the way they like. It doesn’t really give much of an advantage (as it has disadvantages too).

• What games are these?

source games all used 90 FOV.Dota games have locked FOV as well pretty much all the big hitting online games have fov around 90.Chivalry is the first one i have played where FOV can really matter though.

And it gives a big advantage.You see a lot more, you see more weapon windups when face hugging and weaving and turning.I dont see why i should put up with people who are willing to warp thier eyeballs in favour of a bit of an advantage.Its like sports doping and going the extra mile and that is frowned upon too!

Theres simply no way u get sick at 90FOV unless u have used that for a long time or have really messed up eyes as i suffer from motion sickness myself below 90 fov.Your eyes just need to adjust to a proper fov but seriously look at how the corridors and objects look far away with any fov over 95 that is why you are misjudging distance on the Zwei as you have warped the image for extra view space and its not natural and hence you cannot judge distance correctly.

Maybe 100 should be tolerated but over 100 is image warping for an advantage and there needs to be a level playing field.

• rdonnel, as you get older you will find out.

Also DOTA is a top-down game, totally different to FPS lol comparing a brick to an apple.

Quake has variable FOV, Counter-strike has variable FOV, most games do. Console games don’t always though, but lol console games…

The fact of the matter is, people have their reasons why they choose a large FOV. It isn’t about trying to get an advantage for the most part. The human eye for instance has about 120deg visual cone (counting peripheral vision). Motion sickness for low FOV’s <90 for instance, is a real issue that affects approx 20% of the gaming population, the older you get the more likely it will affect you.

So grow up and learn to let people play the way they want. Don’t assume people are trying to get an advantage. There is a slider in game FFS, it is there for anyone to use as they see fit, you are not disadvantaged as you have the option to do it or not, you choose not to. That is fine,just accept that other people choose to slide it.

edit:

look at how the corridors and objects look far away with any fov over 95 that is why you are misjudging distance on the Zwei as you have warped the image for extra view space and its not natural and hence you cannot judge distance correctly.

I thought I made it quite clear that is a disadvantage to using a higher FOV lol

• @Toll:

The fact of the matter is, people have their reasons why they choose a large FOV. It isn’t about trying to get an advantage for the most part.

After all the fisheye videos Ive seen, where people crank up their FoV so much the game looks totally crappy, I just cant agree with that…

• 90 FoV is just really narrow and ugly even if it kinda makes sense for Knights with their helments. It also puts you in a severe disadvantage (parrying is just so hard). 110-120 feels much move realistic (using widescreen) - this includes the misjudging of distance in your peripherical view. Keep in mind that real humans got almost 180 (would look so stupid on a screen). The bad thing with higher FoV values is that Torn Banner was lazy and just did not extend the model far enough making your swords disappear near the edge of your screen.

I am for:

1. removing wallhack from third person (just don’t show people around the corner and behind you)
    2. extending the first person player model making higher FoV look better
    3. setting default FoV to ~110 (right now most newbies play with the awful 90)

• If you really want a better fov that is close to the human eye then get TBS to support 2560x1080 and buy one of those new 21:9 Dell monitors.TBS dont support the res though and ive already suggested it in the forum.Diablo III removed support for 2560x1080 due to the advantage it gives sadly its being frowned upon in general by a lot of people in games where fov matters.

I actually played Chivalry with 90 FOV until two weeks ago when i switched to 95 and i think its a bit better although things now look far away.You cant say its too hard to block as its not.Ive had some insane scores and kills going on with 90 Fov and im not even gonna try playing the game if default goes to 110 as its eye ball warping and its bad enough the shoulder clips on screen when turning right.If they sold this game with 110 fov people would laugh at how bad it looks.As i said before there is a reason Valve choose 90 Fov as everything is in proportion and nothing gets bent.

You just need a new monitor not a higher fov.Certain people are using 150 plus for god sake then they sit there and say its a disadvantage lol.If it was such a disadvantage why not go back to 95? Well apparantly thier eyes hurt at 95 which would be a first i have heard.Ive heard of people with headaches around 80-85 with never at 95.Im calling bluff on this one as my own eyes are thirty years old, suffer from motion sickness in BF3 due to the FOV and chivalry seems spot on at 95.

If your eyes really are that bad then i really am sorry but i dont think that everyone should have thier screen bent out of proportion just because a few people have eyesight issues.

• FFS man, you really are a bit of a complainer.

What’s next, people should play at a FPS capped at 40, because those with 60FPS have an unfair advantage?

Mouse sensitivity should be set to the rate you want? Not what other people like?

Disallow 3rd person because you choose to play 1st?

Seriously man, just man up and play the game the way you want, and let others play the way they want. End of story.