[MAA] Man at Arms Tasks (brainstorming)

• As each class has a particular role on the battlefield I would like to break it down into single tasks to get a better overview.

Obviously the Man at Arms is a fast and lightly armored melee fighter but it should be possible to break it down on more specific situations. Weapons choice doesn’t matter here so Swordsmen tasks are MaA tasks and Macemen tasks are also MaA tasks.

Tasks are not coupled to their outcome but to the role the class is playing. We should be able to get useful tasks by answering sufficiently specific:

(1) As a team captain which order would you give to your Men at Arms?

(2) As a Man at Arms what situations would you be in most of the time?

(3) As a Non-MaA what do you expect/like your Men at Arms to do?

(4) What are tasks that only Men at Arms can fullfill?

! List for now:
    ! - flanking/rushing enemy Archers
    ! - picking off injured enemies
    ! - firebombing frontline squads
    ! - splitting up enemy forces
    ! - picking off stragglers
    ! - flanking/capturing objectives
    ! - dueling
    ! - fighting and distracting two people
    ! - frontline support

• @Evil:

• Run past the battle and take out archers
    • Sit around the edges of the battle and kill injured (blood covered) enemies
    • Firebomb packs of enemy knights/vanguards
    • Lure stragglers away to take out one on one
    • Do not try to tack on that pack of knights/vanguards on your own

• What is the point of this thread? I have to explain to you the role of an maa on the battlefield? Seriously? There’s 4 classes to choose from and you can’t distinguish between them judging by the 4 individual class threads you just opened.

• The aim is to get a Metagame for each class. And as nobody is perfect I would like to get others opinions.

If there is nothing useful coming from you please ignore these topics and all other ones in this subforum. Thanks.

• @Dontuhateme:

What is the point of this thread? I have to explain to you the role of an maa on the battlefield? Seriously? There’s 4 classes to choose from and you can’t distinguish between them judging by the 4 individual class threads you just opened.

Excellent input.

The following will assume team Objective

Flank and/or capture objectives.

There is a lot of grey area here. They are very strong in 1v1s, which is why I would like to see MAAs go off on a flank and attempt an objective, assuming it is an objective one can ninja, like stoneshill 1st objective. If this is the case, they might have 1 person defending a fire pit. Perfect, you have a 1v1 situation.

They might also send 2 people there. There is an advantage right there. 2 people distracted on 1 person makes your front lines have an easier time, so even if you don’t do anything, and have a standoff 1v2 at that flank fire, it is still a favorable outcome for your team.

MAA are probably also the class that has the most potential for 1v2 situations in terms of staying alive longer. They have dodge, which allows them to easier put themselves in a more favorable position when fighting 1v2, and generally have an unpredictable nature.

MAA are capable of supporting the front lines with a longer weapon, though not nearly as capable as a vanguard can with their spears and pole-arms.

Seems like a redundant question; see above.

Firepots. These babies have the potential to split up a group long enough for your team to pick people off 1 by 1, or else they take massive fire damage.

• Great input from nova, the maa that soars above the rest in every knowledgeable field possible. See you in promod? Perhaps not?

• @Dontuhateme:

Great input from nova, the maa that soars above the rest in every knowledgeable field possible. See you in promod? Perhaps not?

This is a thread about tactics and tutorials, not silly semantics. Your well thought out post did nothing but attack the OP. Why don’t you instead offer some valuable input to the thread?

This is not just for OP’s sake, but for others who view these boards to seek information.

• Well, I don’t personally play maa but I have played around them and against them a fair amount.

Again, as a Team Objective player, let’s assume that.

I find that on most servers during a match where there is more than one objective point. The bulk of both teams (nearly 90%) clump up and continue to clash over and over on one objective. MAA could make short work of a match if they learned to break off and flank around to grab the others.

I can’t say too much on this point as I don’t care for playing maa.

As a primarily Knight player. MaA can be my bestest of friends. Provided they like to hang around my booty. As a living shield wall I’ve only got one crippling weakness, if an enemy manages to get behind me and in front of me. I’m toast. I’m not fast enough to run and it’s difficult to position people to my front. Having one speedy MaA paired up with a knight makes for a hugely reliable unit to push front lines.

Dat fire. What I normally see are one or two MaA’s throwing random fire pots at single knights or vanguards out in the middle of nowhere.
    What I’d like to see is an organized group of MaA’s or at least more than 1, tossing firepots at/around carts that are trying to be pushed. You know why? Screw cart pushers. That’s why.

• Well, I don’t personally play maa but I have played around them and against them a fair amount.

Again, as a Team Objective player, let’s assume that.

I find that on most servers during a match where there is more than one objective point. The bulk of both teams (nearly 90%) clump up and continue to clash over and over on one objective. MAA could make short work of a match if they learned to break off and flank around to grab the others.

I can’t say too much on this point as I don’t care for playing maa.

As a primarily Knight player. MaA can be my bestest of friends. Provided they like to hang around my booty. As a living shield wall I’ve only got one crippling weakness, if an enemy manages to get behind me and in front of me. I’m toast. I’m not fast enough to run and it’s difficult to position people to my front. Having one speedy MaA paired up with a knight makes for a hugely reliable unit to push front lines.

Dat fire. What I normally see are one or two MaA’s throwing random fire pots at single knights or vanguards out in the middle of nowhere.
    What I’d like to see is an organized group of MaA’s or at least more than 1, tossing firepots at/around carts that are trying to be pushed. You know why? Screw cart pushers. That’s why.

• (1) As a team captain which order would you give to your Men at Arms?
    I play MAAs in scrims of 5v5, My job pretty much is to find any openings, Crowd control and sometimes sneak up on archers.

I would be away from the rest of the team, Never putting myself into stupid situations, never get picked off. Would idealy be last man standing.
    Crowd control - As a man at arms, you could go up against 2 people and just waste their time. While your team does all the fighting. A MAA has the ability to just survive for a long period of time, Without committing to a fight against 2 or more.

Another type of crowd control is go for enemy archer and force him to take Secondary weapon out. Then join the fight and if archer takes out bow again, repeat, This reduces the amount of shots fired from enemy archer meaning that, Enemy archer has been made useless.

When I play Archer, I expect my MAA to do as the above, Also call out if anyone is going for me, Sometimes archers will tunnel vision.

Crowd control, Making enemy archer useless. Team support as their attacks are quick and can be utilized to interupt enemy rhythm of attacks.

• (1) As a team captain which order would you give to your Men at Arms?

GO SAVAGE KILL THEM ALL, I DONT CARE HOW JUST DO IT

SAVAGERY, all out killing people without mercy swinging wildly.

The MAA to be SAVAGE AND WILD slicing randomly trying to kill me.

GOING SAVAGE and KILLING WILDLY

• This topic is about Men at Arms not about cliché Vanguards.

• (1) As a team captain which order would you give to your Men at Arms ?
    Burn those dirty piglet warriors… Burn them all (which help spliting groups) !!!

(2) As a Man at Arms what situations would you be in most of the time ?
    1Vs1 fights or often hidden to jump at wounded ennemies and finishing them !

(3) As a Non-MaA what do you expect/like your Men at Arms to do ?
    Attacking my ennemis from the rear to let me cut them off from the front…

(4) What are tasks that only Men at Arms can fullfill ?
    Mainly assist/support tasks as previously said. MAA is so good for that ! >=)