What this game really needs

• …is a proper tutorial. The point of this thread is to simply advocate for a more comprehensive, and detailed tutorial for new players, so please let’s try to keep the patch opinions to a minimum because I believe a proper tutorial is necessary regardless of what direction TB chooses for Chivalry in the future. What I’ve found in my time playing this game is that there is a high level of misunderstanding amongst new players regarding game mechanics. Some of the more common misconceptions/questions I’ve seen are: “How the hell is his 2h as fast as my 1h?”, “How did you live through 5 LMBs?”, “Why did it take me 3 minutes to kill that MAA with my stick and why did he laugh during?”, “Why can’t I attack against faster weapons?”, “90% of the time, parry doesn’t work” etc. I think that these misunderstandings (along with all the bugs, those should be a priority) are what frustrate and drive a lot of new players away from the game, simply because they don’t understand why they are being beaten and understandably, that can be extremely irritating.

Chivalry is at its core, a game of numbers. It is about knowing range, timing, and damage. There is also intuition and psychology, but fundamentally, it is all about the numbers. However, after recently playing through the tutorial (I was curious, oh and by the way TB, it is “awash in the blood of its people” not “awash in the blood of it’s people”), I realized that it does not explain any of the fundamental, underlying mechanics. What the tutorial does mention and teach is basic directional attacks, basic parrying, basic comboing, basic feinting, and basic kicking. However, there is absolutely no mention of windup, release, recovery, combo time, flinch, special daze stun, parry in recovery, quick kick/strong kick, damage modifiers, damage types (there is a brief mention of blunt being more effective against armored in the MAA class training, but it is literally one sentence), etc. The “advanced training” consists of comboing, intentional missing during combos, and feinting.

While I understand that many new players will not even care about the more intricate mechanics, there should still be some resource in-game for people to learn more about the way combat works. Though there are guides on this forum, not every player will visit the forums. In my opinion, there should be an official, comprehensive resource in-game to help people learn how Chivalry works mechanically, and how they can use this knowledge to become more skilled. There should be a section in the tutorial that explains windup, release, recovery, flinch, daze stun, and when applicable, what happens during, what you can’t do during, what you can do, what it really means, how long it lasts for different weapons, etc. There needs to be a section on damage modifiers, damage types, and armor values. Some other ideas for the tutorial include team fighting exercises/tips, proper footwork, stamina management, how shields really work, and advanced mechanics like ducking, jumping while attacking, and dragging.

Going along this same theme, the percentage values need to be scrapped for all weapons as they are needlessly confusing and pretty much useless without knowing the reference values. Beyond that, in the advanced statistics for weapons, I’d like to see it broken down class by class, and attack by attack, such that you can see how much final damage is done to each class by a specific weapon by a specific attack. I think it would also be helpful to see minimum and maximum HTK for weapons against each class.

While there are many who would probably never use all of this data, it should exist in-game for the people who DO want to use it. Moreover, it shouldn’t take that much time, and it can in no way hurt to have more resources for new players, and even older ones. In the end, whether it is an official release by TB or a TB supported modification for the tutorial, there should be a more comprehensive resource that allows new players to better understand how the game works.

• Your speaking true words!

This games needs an updated tutorial map and IG Chiv wikipedia.

Also it would be nice if Voicechat was getting fixed. Then i could teach some newbies how to fight properly while talking to them about what Chivalry offers and what could they use for their fighting adventage. I could also make a multiplayer training map and host a server to teach new players. Most players just lack solid, hard, sweaty training - without this they will fall over and over again. We should create a “warrior training group” (insert name here) - gather skilled fighters that have time to share their skills and knowledge with newbies.

• +1 To OP.

• Adding more information to a tutorial isn’t a bad thing. I would be more worried about the execution of putting in said info. In most games clicking on tutorial button is the “Kill me now button”. I’ve skipped/stopped plenty of games because of counterintuitive tutorials.

I do love the idea of a dedicated server for teaching new players. New players are criticized for not wanting to learn, but not all of them are like that. There were many times where I was teaching one person in a empty server and new players started to inquire what we were doing. Before too long the entire server is filled with eager new players wanting to learn the game mechanics. A dedicated server like this would only help to improve the community and the game play of others.

• +1 OP.

this is something the devs could easily do and which i expect would help keep new players interested. I’ve been playing 2 months and still dont really understand how it all works. you shouldnt have to go outside the game to get a run down on it’s mechanics.

• yes, i must agree. as a new player since a week and a half, i remember that playing the game there were a bunch of essential game mechanics that the tutorial had not explained. for one thing, Javelins weren’t in the tutorial at all, and i only recently found out you can hold the mouse button to keep your Javelin charged and ready. and there was also something about switching weapons or blocking that didn’t work…i don’t recall. anyway… blocking mechanics were just not well explained at all.

combo time, flinch, special daze stun, parry in recovery, quick kick/strong kick, damage modifiers, damage types

wait, wait…what? allow me to prove your point by having no idea what any of these mean.

• @Deadpan:

combo time, flinch, special daze stun, parry in recovery, quick kick/strong kick, damage modifiers, damage types

wait, wait…what? allow me to prove your point by having no idea what any of these mean.

Those things are all necessary to combat in this game too, yet we all had an issue with combo feint to parry because it wasn’t explained well and was unintended. I don’t think many people outside these forums are well acquainted with the combat system, or why certain changes were even made.

• @Deadpan:

Ha, no I don’t remember how I found out these things, but this spreadsheet will accurately give you windup, combo, release and recovery times as well as knockback values for each weapon.

Definitions of that stuff can (probably) be found somewhere in the Tactics and Tutorials section

• Fully agreed.

• OP, you have my sword.
    I’d be more than glad to go through these tutorials and/or dedicated servers as some people suggested.
    I’m quite new myself and there are a lot of stuff I’d like to handle better at this game.
    For instance, like my newcommer friend up here somewhere, I have no idea what Wind Up and Strong Kick would be, really, clueless.

• thanks for the sheet! i use it all the time. parry during recovery is impossible, isn’t it?

• @Deadpan:

thanks for the sheet! i use it all the time. parry during recovery is impossible, isn’t it?

A recent patch made it so you CAN now parry in recovery, but it costs 25 stamina