In game recording

• Is there any special commands to know for in game recording? Sort of still figuring out this Unreal engine business.

Or is it better to simply use an external program? Any recommendations?

• I personally use Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) since it’s 100% free, open source, and it works.

• There is an in game recorder but it doesn’t work… at least not for me

demorec (name)
    demostop
    demoplay

it will record the video but when you play it back the models have no weapons/names and just float around the map

• @BlaZe:

There is an in game recorder but it doesn’t work… at least not for me

demorec (name)
    demostop
    demoplay

it will record the video but when you play it back the models have no weapons/names and just float around the map

Haha yeah, that’s kind of why I made this thread. Not having much luck with the in game recording. :)

• I doubt they ever fix the in game recorder
    As for external ones there’s fraps and bandicam… bandicam is far better as it doesn’t use anywhere near as many resources and has more options

• BUY GAMECAPUTRE DEVICE. CAN CAPTURE 1080HD WITHOUT HAVING FPS LOSS WHILE PLAYING. WELL WORTH INVESTMENT.

• @Hitom:

BUY GAMECAPUTRE DEVICE. CAN CAPTURE 1080HD WITHOUT HAVING FPS LOSS WHILE PLAYING. WELL WORTH INVESTMENT.

OKAY

• @Hitom:

BUY GAMECAPUTRE DEVICE. CAN CAPTURE 1080HD WITHOUT HAVING FPS LOSS WHILE PLAYING. WELL WORTH INVESTMENT.

Bandicam is the same. And probably cheaper.

• @Event:

I personally use Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) since it’s 100% free, open source, and it works.

• @Event:

@Event Horizon:

I personally use Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) since it’s 100% free, open source, and it works.

Lag, file size and functionality.

What does it do better?

• @lemonater47:

@Event:

@Event Horizon:

Lag, file size and functionality.

What does it do better?

It’s 100% free and you can also stream directly to Twitch.

• @lemonater47:

@Hitom:

If you have to use your CPU to capture, you will have an fps loss. Some programs are minimal, but even with those (bandicam, Dxtory) I feel when it’s active, there’s slight input lag for me, and the file sizes are huge.

A capture device is an excellent way to capture all your games without fear of running out of hard drive space, and with no loss whatsoever. Play at 60 fps or above, capture at 30, 1080p with no performance hit of any kind.

Also, if you have an Nvidia kepler based gpu, just wait a few more days (maybe a week) for shadow play to come out. The gpu has a bult in H.264 encoder onboard that will function the same way as a capture device, with no performance hit.

• @The:

@lemonater47:

@Hitom:

If you have to use your CPU to capture, you will have an fps loss. Some programs are minimal, but even with those (bandicam, Dxtory) I feel when it’s active, there’s slight input lag for me, and the file sizes are huge.

A capture device is an excellent way to capture all your games without fear of running out of hard drive space, and with no loss whatsoever. Play at 60 fps or above, capture at 30, 1080p with no performance hit of any kind.

Also, if you have an Nvidia kepler based gpu, just wait a few more days (maybe a week) for shadow play to come out. The gpu has a bult in H.264 encoder onboard that will function the same way as a capture device, with no performance hit.

I only get any FPS drop on unreal engine games. By about 10 FPS.

Any other games its usually zero.

And bandicam has real small file sizes compared to other program’s. fraps does 1 GB a minute 1080. Bandicam does 1GB 1080 in 5 minutes. Same quality and far less performance loss.

And capture devices are just far more expensive. I have. 500GB hard drive I record bandicam to. And most capiture devices (at least the ones I know about) only offer one audio channel and limited recording options. And they are more expensive (bandicam is $30).

• I’ve compared Bandicam and Fraps, in my experience Bandicam gives much less of a performance drop when recording along with having much smaller video file sizes.

• I’ve been using MSI Afterburner. Fraps works better for other things though so I keep it around.

MSI Settings:
    MJPG
    85~100% (100% seems to get more blacks on final compress… definitely an option if you’re going to play a darker map and have the drive space)
    full frame
    30fps
    framerate limiter disabled

8 threads (i7)
    crop video dimensions checked (just because of editing program I use)

Also, I have it not downmixing the multichannel audio… I found that chiv’s music stopped if I tried downmixing, this could just be my machine though.

• Fraps since 2004 baby.

But there are plenty of other great options. Always nice to have an external hard drive to record onto that doesn’t hold the game you’re playing.

• @SOC:

Fraps since 2004 baby.

But there are plenty of other great options. Always nice to have an external hard drive to record onto that doesn’t hold the game you’re playing.

With bandicam you don’t need an external hard drive. As it all fits on to one. Meaning faster processing and render times.

Fraps is only kept alive by the fanbois. $37 for fraps $39 for bandicam. Bandicam is superior or equal In everyway. And according to their forums they are considering twitch integration.

Why would anyone buy fraps these days.

• @lemonater47:

Why would anyone buy anything these days.

• @Del:

@lemonater47:

Why would anyone buy anything these days.

Becuase stealing is wrong.

• Well for streaming i would recommend : Open Broadcaster Software (OBS).
    But if you just wanna record,i would highly recommend DXtory,this program is pure magic.