[WEP] Double Axe or Grand Mace?

• SO I’ve just gotten to thinking: I’ve been using grand mace loads for a few weeks, and getting good results; this has continued post patch. Been picking up the double axe a lot too since the patch - and its useful now, one of the few changes I’ve liked of the update.

Which leads me to the question: what is the difference between the two weapons? To my senses, both weapons feel extremely, extremely similar. Same sort of reach and speed, same power. I play almost exactly the same way with both - distance adjustment, windup and swing timing, everything.

Dont get me wrong, I love both these weapons - two cool looking lumps of doom, but is there any fundamental differences between the two weapons that i’ve missed? Double axe more effective against maa and archers or something? I’d like to know so that I have a better time choosing between them at round start ;).

• As far as I know the Double Axe deals more damage and is slightly faster overall while the Grand Mace is longer and has slightly faster windup times. They also differ in damage type: the Double Axes increased damage is significant against lighter classes (it oneshots Archers) but is barely noticable against heavier classes (1-4 hitpoints).

• The double axe is a little slower on the windup, but otherwise has a quicker release, slightly better combo time, and shorter recovery. Essentially, it telegraphs, but sometimes this can lull people into thinking they have more time to parry than they actually do.

The grand mace is obviously the opposite: a little faster on the release, but slower overall. I think I I prefer it, as I don’t find the ability to one-shot archers that useful; I prefer to deal with them with a secondary (and shield) if I manage to get up that close.

• I’m more of a grand mace guy. If I need slash damage against lighter classes I’ll use my secondary

• I’m definitely a Grand Mace player. A lot of people just play Vanguard and Knight, and I’ll usually switch to my secondary and shield when I rush Archers.

• The dub axe looses to the grand mace all day. Seriously, I loled when I saw the title of this thread. The grand mace is fast, has the same HTK, and is longer. No reason to use a dub axe still. It needs to be faster than the grand mace in order to be viable because it’s so short.

• @Jstorm:

The dub axe looses to the grand mace all day. Seriously, I loled when I saw the title of this thread. The grand mace is fast, has the same HTK, and is longer. No reason to use a dub axe still. It needs to be faster than the grand mace in order to be viable because it’s so short.

You’re right. I would say Grand Mace and Poleaxe are a closer match in terms of balance and the roles they play.

I’ve always thought double axe should maintain low range and high damage but compensate with high speed in order to make it distinct from the other axes/weapons.

• Grandmace and Double Axe are closer together. The Poleaxe is faster than both but sacrifices the ability to oneshot light classes. It’s also has more reach and a powerful stab but its slash is significantly weaker.

Grandmace and Double Axe compete more directly as they almost got the same Hits to Kill (Double Axe can oneshot Archers with torso hits and with slashes the Grandmace cannot) and the same speed (Grandmace has a slightly shorter windup but its combos are slightly slower). The Grandmace seems to have the upper hand because its longer and heavier (more knockback and stamina drain).

• @Evil:

Grandmace and Double Axe are closer together. The Poleaxe is faster than both but sacrifices the ability to oneshot light classes. It’s also has more reach and a powerful stab but its slash is significantly weaker.

Grandmace and Double Axe compete more directly as they almost got the same Hits to Kill (Double Axe can oneshot Archers with torso hits and with slashes the Grandmace cannot) and the same speed (Grandmace has a slightly shorter windup but its combos are slightly slower). The Grandmace seems to have the upper hand because its longer and heavier (more knockback and stamina drain).

1. The grand mace is faster than the poleaxe.
    2. The dub axe is actually slower than the poleaxe i.e. slower windups, slower stab combo and same OH and slash combos and slower releases on the OH and slash(dub axe’s only real moves).
    3. The grand mace and dub axe do not have the same speed. The grand mace’s significantly faster windups are far more important than combos and release when the releases are relatively close and both weapons are draggable so that’s all I care about. In this new shitty live you shouldn’t even be comboing most of the time because that’s how you get yourself killed.
    4. The dub axe’s reach is what’s killing it. It’s slower and shorter than both the poleaxe and grand mace. How is that a close choice? What it needs right now is .5 windups on the OH and slash.