Investing

• Anyone interested in discussing stock trading?

I got pretty burned a bit ago when FNMA went from 5 to 2. Though, thankfully I wasn’t in heavily. I partly blame myself for not knowing the market well enough.

But now that I’m in something I understand, I’m doing a lot better. I’m heavy and long into 3d printer companies, mostly because I understand the technology and believe it will revolutionize manufacturing. I bought in with XONE at 49 and sold most of my position at 64. It’s at 71 now, but I’m feeling it is overvalued. I’m also in with DDD and SSYS. Both are relatively volatile, but I’ve seen a large amount of rise so far. We’ll see where that venture pans out in a couple years.

Anyone else want to talk investing?

• I love the idea of investing into stocks. It’s hard to invent a product or service, not to mention a logistical nightmare to setup a company to make it a reality. Stocks let you jump in on some of that action with only as much risk as you want to take.

I haven’t really invested directly yet though. I’m 23. I think I’d just start with an indexed mutual fund (managed funds don’t seem to perform much better). What do you think of those?

• It definitely performs better.

From John Bogle (author of Common Sense on Mutual Funds):

“I projected the costs of managing an index fund to be 0.3% per year in operating expenses and 0.2% per year in transaction costs. Since fund annual costs at that time appeared to be about 2.0%, I concluded that an index fund should reasonably be expected to provide an annual return of +1.5% above a managed fund.”

You should read this write up from The Motley Fool. I think it will make you feel better about your decision.

@The:

I love the idea of investing into stocks. It’s hard to invent a product or service, not to mention a logistical nightmare to setup a company to make it a reality. Stocks let you jump in on some of that action with only as much risk as you want to take.

Definitely. I love the idea of researching new technology and learning about innovators. So many of the companies I read about are just fascinating with what they can do and how they plan to revolutionize their markets. I’m particularly partial to Tesla[$TSLA] and 3D Systems[$DDD] (also Stratasys[$SSYS]). I’m kind of kicking myself when I sold my Tesla positions @ 102 and it’s now trading at 122.

• I think what is holding me back so far is simply lack of funds and significant income to really add to it. I’ve already used calculators online to figure out what I need to reach my target retirement goal, which is all I care about investing for, so I know I can wait a bit more. I’m only at 11k saved so far. I don’t want to move much out from an easy to access bank account.

It’s psychologically comforting, even though I know in a stock or mutual fund I can liquidate it fairly quickly, to keep it in the bank.

There are also tax issues for me to consider. On its own they are annoying enough, but I’m a dual citizen of Canada and the USA. I live in Canada, and the USA has a tyrannical tax system that forces you to file on world wide income if you are a citizen. even if you do not reside in the country. I’ll have to make sure I understand all the tax liabilities involved before doing any serious investing.