Unlocking F.P.S cap

• Forgive me if this has been posted before, there are 284 pages of stuff about FPS.

KnH ~ Dave posted this guide….

I know most people know how to do this, however this is for the benefit of people who do not.

Before we start, to benefit from this tweak you need a monitor that can display over 60hz. Chivalry is limited to a 63 FPS cap as standard and a 60HZ monitor will suffice for this. You will need a 120hz or 144hz monitor otherwise you will not see a difference.

STEP ONE:
    [image:78t4twdl]http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9093/4brb.png[/image:78t4twdl]

Right Click on Chivalry Medieval Warfare.
    Go down to the bottom, click on properties.

STEP TWO:
    [image:78t4twdl]http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4341/o66x.png[/image:78t4twdl]
    On the tabs click LOCAL FILES
    Click the top button “BROWSE LOCAL FILES”

STEP THREE:
    Open “Engine” folder
    Open “Config” folder
    [image:78t4twdl]http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/3838/yqu8.png[/image:78t4twdl]

Double click on “BaseEngine” to open up a text file.

STEP FOUR:
    Press “CTRL + F” together
    Type “Smooth” and press ENTER
    Find tool will take you to “bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE”
    [image:78t4twdl]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9813/khl.png[/image:78t4twdl]
    STEP FIVE:
    Replace TRUE with FALSE
    Replace the two values underneath to 22 and 144 respectively (see picture)
    SAVE FILE
    [image:78t4twdl]http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9434/xzt4.png[/image:78t4twdl]
    Now the frame rate is unlocked and you can go past the limitations set by Chivalry. However, and this is a big but. The Unreal engine can only display you with 90 FPS. So fraps will only be able to display 90, in reality you will be up to 120hz providing you have a powerful enough GPU and CPU.

Does it make a difference? Absolutely. Infact it’s almost unplayable at 60 FPS when you’ve unlocked the framerate. Is it worth getting a new 120hz monitor for? No, not if you haven’t got a powerful enough GPU or you don’t play any other fast pace games.

I hope this helps some of you.

…and I thought that some people might find it helpful.

I was also wondering if there is any down side to increasing the FPS?

PS. I’m totally clueless so I won’t be able to directly answer any questions about this but I will relay them.

• “You do not have sufficient access to view this page”.

• Global Moderator

There’s a couple of downsides to going passed any cap or not using caps. You get unstable FPS and your computer can’t multitask as easily. But they are rather small drawbacks.

And none of us can see that page of yours. Do you mind copying the contents and putting it into a spoiler tag?

• @Bloodhead:

“You do not have sufficient access to view this page”.

Damn it; I’m so sorry, I was being lazy with the link… I’ll get it directly on here. Funny the “Save a Dave” links worked (NB. Dave the peasant in the stories is in no way related to KnH ~ Dave, he joined us after) Guess our tips section of our site is members only.

• Heh that makes it look all complicated, also isn’t it the configs in your My Docs folder you’re supposed to be changing, NOT the one in the Steam directory?

Anyways I just do:

1. Open “C:\Users[YourUserName]\Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini”

2. Search for “MaxSmoothed”

3. Change “MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62” to the value of your choice, such as “MaxSmoothedFrameRate=120” (for a 120hz monitor).

Save file, job done. Never had to tweak anything else.

• Global Moderator

Almost unplayable at 60?

WTF is wrong with you.

Its a far more noticeable difference between 30 and 60 than it is between 60 to 90. The human eye reacts to the 30-60 change. But only the brain can notice a 60-90 change. A very slight change.

60 FPS is smoother than how our eyes see the world. So it looks unreal as the average persons eyes sees thing between 30-50FPS. The equivalent to it anyway as our eyes don’t exactly see in FPS.

• My eyes probably don’t even manage 50 FPS, having played at the higher setting for a while I’m just not sure that I can see a difference.

• @lemonater47:

Almost unplayable at 60?

WTF is wrong with you.

Its a far more noticeable difference between 30 and 60 than it is between 60 to 90. The human eye reacts to the 30-60 change. But only the brain can notice a 60-90 change. A very slight change.

60 FPS is smoother than how our eyes see the world. So it looks unreal as the average persons eyes sees thing between 30-50FPS. The equivalent to it anyway as our eyes don’t exactly see in FPS.

I actually played at 63 FPS for a long time until I found out how to go past the preset limit. For me its unplayable now that I know how smooth it is when it is unlocked.

There is a common misconception that at 60 FPS you cannot notice a difference which is simply untrue. As a user of a 144hz monitor I see a difference. It’s noticeable by my friends too.
    It’s one of those things you have to experience to fully understand.

• Just tested the FPS stat and it is still showing around 60, guessing I failed to implement the idiots guide correctly? Or is it because of the games cap?

Part of me is hoping it’s the game’s cap that is giving a false reading because then I’m not an idiot for failing to follow the guide. Part of me is hoping that I’ve failed to change the FPS because then my eyes aren’t buggered.

• I can agree that playing with a 144hz monitor AND 120+ fps is a lot smoother than 60hz and 60 fps.

You just SEE the difference, mainly while turning around quickly. Everything is so much smoother. Believe me when I tell you that the new monitor I bought was actually a better investment than any other peripheral I bought recently.

Also this has already been addressed a looooong time ago: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=4809

;)

But still, thank you for the advanced tutorial, will help less expierenced ppl to unlock the fps.

• A quick bit of maths with a Knights Sword War stab. Assuming a continues animation display (infinitely divisible).
    0.5 0.65 0.6 0.7 1.8 1.75

At 60 FPS:

30 FPS = 0.03 Frames per millisecond.
    60 FPS = 0.06 Frames per millisecond.
    120 FPS = .12 Frames per millisecond.

The windup for the stab is 0.5seconds
    @30FPS 15 frames of animation
    @60FPS 30 frames of animation
    @120FPS 60 frames of animation

Now if you look that a feint can happen within the first .3seconds of the windup you have:

@30FPS you have 9 frames maximum to read a feint.
    @60FPS you have 18 frames
    @120FPS you have 36 frames.

Now we can all probably agree that at 30FPS having only 9 frames to read a feint would suck ass, and that is the longest possible feint, if the feint was a flash feint you may not even perceive the 3 frames it happened in.

18 Frames at 60 FPS is a different story, that is more than enough to pick up a slight change.

36 frames at 120FPS is more than ample. Your mind would get plenty of warning about that feint.

Your mind doesn’t work simply by ‘we only see 40FPS or whatever so anything above is wasted’ It doesn’t work that way. Having 120FPS will always be perceived as smoother and gives more visual information in the same amount of time. The brain will adapt more to use this extra information if it is trained to do so.
    For example Air force fighter pilots undergo training where they are given about 3 frames of an image of an aircraft at 60fps. They are then required to identify the make and model of this aircraft. (Actual numbers are different, but similar) Most start off pretty crap at this, then get better with training.

• I have just changed from a 60hz monitor to 120hz and finally this all makes sense.