Avoiding feints by movement

• I have seen a few people in duels that were excellent in avoiding my feints. What happens is I feint them, they fall for it but my next strike will miss because they moved outside of my reach.

Do you have any experience with this stuff? Can you teach it to me? :)

• when you see someone go to attack you, hold the s key/pull back on your movement analog stick

• Focus on the proper movement that will get you where you need to be in the time needed. If you have enough time, strafing left/right or pressing back will be enough. However, if there is not enough time for that slower speed, I suggest moving your view 90 degrees, press forward and sprint. Then turn back into the opponent when you can parry again or feel like attacking. It takes time to get used to the timings releases take and a little bit of situational awareness to pull off, but it is quite effective.

• Interesting, I think I´ve heard something about “running into the strike” while parrying so if he feints your momentum will pull you out of the damage zone. Is that correct?

• Yes and it helps for other reasons as well.

Dragging is a common technique now days and running into the strike will force a parry while the attacker is trying to delay the attack so it hits when your parry is down. You cancel out his drag by pushing yourself closer to his weapon when your parry is up. I call it a forced parry. You can also jump into an overhead drag to force the parry.

As well as counter the opposite:
    You can crouch when the opponent does an accelerated overhead to give yourself more time on the parry. However you should note that the weapon is now in a different stage of its arc and is more likely to hit behind you if you are at lower elevation than the attacker. For this, you will need to turn around to parry it so it doesn’t clip the back of the top of your head.

• Hmm… I guess I’m not experienced enough for that. All I do is try only to block when I hear their grunts, so they’re not feinting. Except for onehanders. They’re just too fast for that, at least for me. And if I fall for a Feint, I usually duck. Works for all those noobs that just do slash, feint, slash. But doesn’t work for the experienced players, who use overheads after their feints.

So that moving out of range tactic seems much more reliable to me. Guess I’ll have to practice that. Even though it’s hard to get out of the range of a Zweihänder quick enough. It’s range is long and the accelerated overhead is not slow at all.

• Totally, I have now more things to practice in duels than smashing heads! So thx bada!
    I smell hours and hours of derping around on the FFA duel server :D

• i sprint as soon as i see a drag. often the person is putting so much effort into moving the mouse to drag, that they get flanked past the parry.

i started out playing while listening to music, and honestly i think that helped a lot (besides getting snuck up on.) listening to grunts is a good way to smell out a feint, but my reaction is like muscle memory and it’s purely visual now. i can tell at what point a feint is engaged in real time.

it’s risky, but you can use the aforementioned sprint technique to combat feints, as well. if you bite and parry, sprint hard towards and past the opponent. chances are they’re going to be hungry when they see they feinted you, and they’re going to move at you to strike. a lot of times i’ll just run right past folks, spin and land a hit while they’re trying to attack me.

• @magilla:

listening to grunts is a good way to smell out a feint, but my reaction is like muscle memory and it’s purely visual now. i can tell at what point a feint is engaged in real time.

No offense towards your skill or your play, but I just wanted to quote what you said because I don’t think it’s entirely possible at all times (note I know you can probably do it with 80% of the weapons). It is not entirely possible because of the speed of most 1 handed weapons (definitely excludes warhammer now, haha), the speed of spears/polearms, and the speed of the claymore. Right now if you don’t parry about the same time as their feint window it’s very likely you won’t be able to parry it due to their attack speed. Combined with possible latency delays and it’s even less likely.

This is part of the frustration I am feeling after the offensive feint nerf (and I didn’t originally feel it after patch release). The weapons that were the deadly feinters are still the deadly feinters, it’s just a lot easier for the weapons that weren’t to show the enemy that you’re feinting. Personally I want feint window times to be based on a fraction of windup time, not overall time from the beginning of a strike (as some weapons have much faster windups than others). This would diminish the usefulness of 1 handed feints, in my opinion, and even them out with the rest of the weapons.

Running past feints works well with vertical attacks. If they’re swinging (lmb) the claymore around you won’t be able to run past it very often. I find moving frantically can also work sometimes. Jump, duck, move to the side, charge them, etc. You’d be surprised how many times a jump as saved me. If nothing else it gets them to sometimes hit you in your legs, dealing the least possible damage as far as I know.

• i should’ve been more specific; most of the time i can tell. however, i disagree on the lack of possibility.

• @magilla:

i should’ve been more specific; most of the time i can tell. however, i disagree on the lack of possibility.

And that’s fine- honestly I’m not trying to be combative in any way and we all have our own opinions. I just wanted to use your quote to springboard myself onto a taller soapbox, I have nothing against what you said or your opinions.

I’ve often wondered if there’s a delay between my mouse and computer that makes parrying go slower, but I have to hit the parry slightly before the hit lands. For me, at least, this makes some weapons feinting monsters.

• @quigleyer:

@magilla:

i should’ve been more specific; most of the time i can tell. however, i disagree on the lack of possibility.

And that’s fine- honestly I’m not trying to be combative in any way and we all have our own opinions. I just wanted to use your quote to springboard myself onto a taller soapbox, I have nothing against what you said or your opinions.

I’ve often wondered if there’s a delay between my mouse and computer that makes parrying go slower, but I have to hit the parry slightly before the hit lands. For me, at least, this makes some weapons feinting monsters.

a few questions:

what kind of mouse? wired/wireless? what are your pings like, and is the hardware in your PC older?