3D Modeling & Enviremental Dev

• EDIT* Wow, I was quite ignorant and silly sounding 4 years ago… Sorry for any unintended offense. Anyways AoC and this game we’re the beginnings of 3d for me and I decided to pursue it after just graduating highschool.

So I was curious as i’m aspiring to be a professional 3D artist or game dev (in a general sense) to what you guys use to model and animate your characters, I was thinking you guys might use Mudbox but i’m just stumped as i’m just new to learning about modeling such characters

I am also curious about what you guys use to model your envirement which is not limited to nature but to buildings,walls,etc.

I am also curious to how you guys get your sounds such as sword hits…like do you have a studio and record sounds that you clash together or do you use a program like FL Studio and mess with a sound wave that is related to what you want a sound to sound like

and lastly what do you guys use to code which I have little experience in I mean I only know html ahaha…

Anyways it would be cool if these weren’t too personal of questions to ask, i’m extremely curious how a whole game is built together,how it works,the whole cycle!

Anyways been playin your mod for 4 or 5 years haha Clan Vanquish all the way!! Haha nah but really would be cool if you guys made a thread about questions like mine maybe alot more specific ones an aspiring developers thread!!!

So I guess to exchange with my post in information is if you guys are looking for cinema I suggest the program Vue!! Which was widely used LOTR (The Lord of The Rings) for those vast scenes of nature varying swamps,forest,mountains etc. and that movie had incredible envirements for being near a decade old (least the first one).

and this post isn’t for media or some sort of commercial thing lol…especially as i’m still in highschool…but seriously i’m coo coo for your methods and to possibly game develope myself in the future!

Programs I have access to:
    UDK - (which I didn’t realize was free so thank you guys! :D)
    All Autodesk Programs (+plugins)
    Vue8.5xstream
    Google Sketchup

• I think they use Autodesk 3d Studio Max, at least thats what most commercial games use. Unless they’re still on free programs, if thats true than its Blender.

• lol well yes I know this i’m not sure there has been a game that hasn’t used 3Ds max that was mainstream

was hoping for more specific answering such as So and So imports facial clay sculpt using mudbox into 3Ds max and then So and So Sculpts body with So and So plugin and then So and So imports model into Maya and animates/codes such and such

kind of around that guideline

• Developer

Not being an artist myself I can’t really specify what each team members pipeline for these things are, but I know that it does vary per person somewhat. Most of the 3d guys do detail sculpting in zbrush and not mudbox. As far as code goes, we use “unrealscript” which is a custom language for the unreal engine. The engine itself was built with C++.

Hopefully some of the other guys will post here and let you know a bit more about their workflows, but I would highly suggest to you that you pick an area of emphasis if you are serious about pursuing game design, because it will be very tough to excel at all areas. Dabble in them all at first sure, but then use that to decide which one you really want to put your hours of work into.

• Yea we use UnrealScript._

As for a brief explanation of how it works,
    essentially Unreal already has a basic structure of how a game will flow.
    what you can do is tap into that and override it and rewrite what they did [since they have a lot of code written in unrealscript] or you can start from scratch and go from the ground up._

• Welcome to the forums Fluffykins! We also really appreciate your curiosity into how we are creating Chivalry. It’s my hope that we eventually can do a few “making of” blog posts or videos to show off all of our talented folks’ work.

The art team on Chivalry utilize a variety of programs depending on the situation or discipline, but we stick with what Epic (the makers of UDK) recommends. Our environment guys tend to favor 3DS Max for modeling. For creating high-resolution models, we use sculpting program such as Mudbox (my personal favorite) or Z-brush. Our animators use Maya primarily.

These are very broad generalizations of the team, as folks use a variety of plug-ins, third-party utilities, etc. We’re fortunate to be working with UDK, as it is extremely flexible with whatever program you end up using.

Hope I answered your question. Thanks again!

• Wow thanks for all your responses and comments! It’s great to get feedback from the people themselves :D I’ll probably refer to this as a generalization to look upon when specifying as what I would like to learn most…I’ve kinda had the bad habit to not really specialize in one area :( but as I said thank you for the great feedback :D!!!

• Hey Fluffykins.

Jason summed it up nicely but the question is so big that its impossible to describe everything in detail. If you have any specific questions I hopefully will be able to answer them a little better.

Traditionally Zbrush is the package people use to do their sculpting. Mudbox has come along way recently and the two are now more or less on equal footing. Mudbox would however be the easier to learn as the interface for Zbrush is noticeably different than most programs and so there is that initial block. I have however found Zbrush to be the more powerful of the two.

I use Maya for most of my low poly work and only use Max if I find I need a specific tool which Maya does not offer. A typical workflow for me working on environments would be something along the lines of this:

I start by discussing and getting some reference/concept together for the area I wish to make. I have found it very helpful to have an idea or goal to aim for. Planning is hugely important for environments and half the battle working out the design and composition before you even start making anything. Each major area should have a focal point and be easy to read, guiding the player through the level as well as looking functional and interesting. This is by far the hardest part of environment art, at least for me.

Once everything is set I block out the entire scene in Maya and then import everything into the editor. This will allow you to get a sense of scale for everything as well as let others jump in and start playing in the space straight away. You will have a pretty solid idea on what models need to be made and to what size from this too. A lot of tweaks usually take place here so expect to spend some time here.

Next I go through and apply material place holders to each asset working out what meshes will share what textures and so how best to utilised the texture space.

Then I would go through and make the high poly sculpts of the assets, bake the textures down, then make the lowpoly, which is uved, tidied up and exported. I tend to work in sets so that I am focusing on a selection of similar meshes at a time.

Once in the editor, I focus on lighting and finalising any issues. I like to leave small errors (like uv fixes, collision mesh changes ect) until later as getting bogged down redoing on the same thing is hugely demoralising for me. I have found coming back and sorting issues with fresh eyes to be much more efficient.

Throughout the entire process, I like to get feedback and comments from the others as they see things I do not you can bounce ideas back and forth.

However, workflows vary hugely depending on what needs to be built and how it will be used ingame. Important assets that have unique textures can be created with a very linear workflow easily, whereas a series of meshes that use tiling textures could have the textures made before anything else. The way you build models is hugely dependant on how to plan to place them ingame too. A lot of texture work can be done within the engine itself, often creating effects or details that you could not create in the textures themselves. The ability to adapt is very important so if you were to dive into environments I would suggest learning the basic workflows first so that you have a grounding to adjust your own workflow from. Learn the rules so you know how to break them!

As for learning software packages, I have found once you learn one, it does not take much effort to learn another. A vast majority of the tools are the similar, if not the same, and all the same techniques apply. I do however have difficulty switching back and forth as switching controls can be a nightmare. The UDK is a wonderful piece of software and the documentation available is remarkable. Take a good look through the stock UDK stuff to get an idea on how things are put together and how epic does it. Try to workout how and why they are doing it this and that way.

The best advice I can offer you is to learn to love learning. The more you learn, the more you realise you have so much more to learn and I find that a huge drive. It takes a lot of hard work and practice, you never stop learning, but for me game development is undoubtedly one of the most passionate and fun things in the world. Surround yourself with people who are passionate about it and you will love it so much more. Get stuck in, start making stuff and you will be deving in no time!

• Wonderful :)

Yes heh I loved learning my programs during the summer!! However during the school year its almost like writers block to continue in them the more I learn them the worse I do in school heh, the doubled edged sword!

Its good to know about Z-Brush I was not familiar about such until these AoC Dev’s been commenting and sharing with me and the community about it!

As for scripting and coding I will need to scratch the surface on that definetly!

As for your transitioning back and forth between max and maya well i’ve always wondered the difference besides the fact that maya is node based i’ve heard maya is better for animation as max would not but then i’ve heard vice versa

But that is interesting to hear how important a workflow is to you! I definetly will establish myself with one as I grow intune with whatever program.

And as you said to look through the stock UDK files , I most certainly will! :) never thought about reverse engineering stock files.

As for tutorials would any of you reccomend the site “Lynda” because it would seem at times I would run out of free tutorials in specific subjects such as particle flow in 3ds max but that’s just an example. I’ve heard of people teaching themself a program by just experimenting around however to do such and find results just doesn’t seem efficient with some render times.

And I guess a last question would be why do I hear to use a MAC for developing in general of all concepts. I used an alienware stock on vista and I am wondering how big a difference if any would be from a MAC.

And yes i’m certainly going to continue for some time to dabble into all these programs and not specify too quickly :) i’m not terribly new to many of these…except z-brush and coding so as i’ve mentioned I will need to look into them!

Anyways thanks for all this feedback, I don’t require you to answer all my questions just asking what I can with what is bubbled with curiosity in my mind at the time!

• Definitely do all programming from a Windows comp [ i am slightly biased ]. Visual Studio woot!
    I am not so sure about the art portion though they may favor mac :P

• haha yah i’ll admit i’m biased of windows as well, I feel as if I hear just alot of rumors as mac in general of it being bad :P

Oh and I looked at some of your guy’s sites, well the modelers and I really liked what I saw! So cudos to you :) and then when CBFA comes out I can look at your code!!! :D haha but ya keep it up.