I think the game was most balanced in closed beta

• Honestly, I think so. Sure, everyone was new and there was a lot of un-discovered technology with weapons and strategy, but the only blatantly OP things were like the halberd, Norse sword, sword of war, war hammer, falchion, Dane axe and hatchet. You had bugs like being able to recover stamina/health while sprinting, face hugging to by pass shields and parries was laughably easy, and a ton of “scare crow” MaAs dodging, but overall the game felt a lot more balanced then than now. The bearded axe was so average at everything that it wasn’t very used, but it still felt more reliable then than now. I loved the claymore back then, and using spears. I just can’t seem to learn how to use the halberd now at all, the longsword is a joke and archers are so much better now. The skill cap was so much lower back then sure, but at least when you saw something like a grand mace back then it was cool and fun and balanced. Every weapon felt good to use and it was very consistent.

I wish weapon balance could go to last patch but keep the SoW nerfs, double axe buff, and falchion nerf. I’ve adjusted to this new patch and the new Chivalry, but I honestly believe it was a lot better before the game was released. I know about rose tinted glasses, the new car smell and how everyone back then was new and learning but, at least weapon balance was really good. The new spears just feel like the old halberd to me and it isn’t fun. The new maul feels like an even better version of the old pole axe and it isn’t fun. The new MaAs feel like they’re even better now and it isn’t fun. The new archers are even more OP and it isn’t fun.

I dunno’, maybe I’m just not remembering all the old stuff but it’s kind’ve sad to think how much less buggy and problematic the game was in its beta stages…

• What specific weapon buffs and nerfs would you like to see?

• So basically… Promod when?

• The new maul feels like an even better version of the old pole axe and it isn’t fun.

Dream on.

• I didn’t do the and balanced much at release.

Its basic human nature to think the past is better than it was. An that the present is worse than it is.

And most of us wouldn’t remember the release version of the game. And we were all new.

You can’t name weapons and classes that are OP now. You could back then. Really only the claymore is OP. And only against noobs.

• @lemonater47:

You can’t name weapons and classes that are OP now.

Spear and Brandistock.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@lemonater47:

Spear and Brandistock.

When you get close then try saying that.

Though there is that darn bubble.

• @lemonater47:

@NoVaLombardia:

@lemonater47:

Spear and Brandistock.

Brandi slash is killer now.

• @BB:

@lemonater47:

That and the quick-stab is pretty good too.

Do spear users forget to parry too?

• @NoVaLombardia:

@BB:

@lemonater47:

That and the quick-stab is pretty good too.

Do spear users forget to parry too?

Matrix. Matrix parry just to be safe.

And some spear user do forget to parry. Or parry too much.

• @lemonater47:

And some spear user do forget to parry. Or parry too much.

How do spear users forget to parry / parry too much in comparison to the other weapon users?

• I really liked the beta 2 of the patch. After that everything went wrong.

• Yeah, closed beta balance was great, with all the onehanded maces and axes and the falchion killing knights in 2 hits, and the majority of Vanguard weapons being worthless except the spears that had more knockback than a kick. Let’s go back to that :)

• @SlyGoat:

Yeah, closed beta balance was great, with all the onehanded maces and axes and the falchion killing knights in 2 hits, and the majority of Vanguard weapons being worthless except the spears that had more knockback than a kick. Let’s go back to that :)

kind of funny that, with all of that imbalance, so many people are still nostalgic about the game in that state. must mean things are really fucked up now, huh?

:D

• @SlyGoat:

Yeah, closed beta balance was great, with all the onehanded maces and axes and the falchion killing knights in 2 hits, and the majority of Vanguard weapons being worthless except the spears that had more knockback than a kick. Let’s go back to that :)

It’s funny because I already mentioned all that. But then you went ahead and nerfed the longsword and screwed the claymore and broke spears, then you messed up chase mechanic, removed feint to parry, buffed archers and MaAs, made maul the only knight weapon and the game is far worse now than then. I only say you because you’re a red now and BB said reds didn’t listen to the balance council this patch.

• I didn’t play the beta but the game right now is much more balanced than pre-patch. Then pre-patch it was much more balanced than at release. So apparently something went wrong between closed beta and release…

Granted the patch went too far at some points and did too much changes to the gameplay. Still I am starting to like the game more than before. And a lot of people would probably say the same if they weren’t busy bitching because the patch just changed too much. It did - thats a fact. Now deal with it and hope Torn Banner learned from it. Less changes and more betatesting please.

• @SlyGoat:

Its not that i’m deigning to agree or disagree with OP - my point is this: coming across all sarcastic on the forums regarding stuff like this really isnt the way forward.

A lot of longtime fans absolutely hate the game with a passion since this patch, I know a fair few that actually cannot bear to play it, and laughing in faces about it makes you look like a total prick tbh mate. You’ve gone ahead and done massive overhauls on things that barely needed touching (i.e stamina system), whilst sorely missing that wasted time when it came to hitting the sweet spot on your actual balance changes and bug fixes.

Yes, I like some of the changes - to kick, to feint, to alt swing. Great changes, they’d have been perfect left at that, with some weapon tweaks: but overall alterations in the way the combat works, the game is regrettably far less fun to play since this patch. The only way to describe it, is slower - emptier. I’ve been trying to like the changes since their inception, I’ve been playing it plenty. Im trying desperately to find the same enjoyment I had in the combat before, this is my most played game - I dont want it to feel 50% different to play (for the worse) overnight - which is what happened.

You know me, i’ve always been pretty positive about this game: and that probably means you can take me somewhat seriously when I say this latest patch has really dampened the experience for me. So for christs sake, dont be sarcastic with people about it, stop dismissing people as ‘negative nancies’ and perhaps consider the possibility that you have actually screwed up something in there.

Or, just do what you want, who am i to stop you.

• @Triumphant:

my point is this: coming across all sarcastic on the forums regarding stuff like this really isnt the way forward.

That’s what makes Sly endearing :>

• @magilla:

kind of funny that, with all of that imbalance, so many people are still nostalgic about the game in that state. must mean things are really fucked up now, huh?

Or maybe its just that people get nostalgic all the time without any reasons at all? Someone even did some experimenting, and the outcome was that most people tend to remember 75% good and only 25% bad experinces.

Ever heared the term ‘the good old times’?