Need Help With Dodging

• I play Man-At-Arms most of the time but I can never get my dodge times right. If I put the double tap times too high I dodge all over the place, but if I put it too low I never dodge when I want to and end up dying. Just today I dodged off the cliff in the snowy map by mistake and looked like an idiot.

What time should I put the dodge because I can never balance it.

• I use the one button dodge. I’m used to holding a direction and tapping V. Its an aweful place for t really but I got used to it there.

• I use left alt for dodging, its very accessible since you have your thumb on it always. Since I play maa a lot dodging takes priority of alt attacks.

• The best thing you can do is to put the one-button dodge on a spare mouse button. If you have a crappy mouse I strongly recommend you get a better one as it has improved my playstyle drastically. A good mouse is essential when playing Chivalry. :-)

• @funthomass:

The best thing you can do is to put the one-button dodge on a spare mouse button. If you have a crappy mouse I strongly recommend you get a better one as it has improved my playstyle drastically. A good mouse is essential when playing Chivalry. :-)

Unless you’re weird like me And can get used to using the V key. Or do what wyrda said and bind it to left alt. Or a more accessible key. I know others use left ctrl,B,F,G or Q for dodging as well.

• i’ve put it on right mouse button atm, using practically unused middle mouse for blocking. anyway, how do you change sensitivity of double tap dodging? i couldn’t find it.

• Thanks for the replies, I have 2 alt buttons on my mouse but use it for alt attacks. I’ll make sure to change my crappy alt-overhead to the dodge! :D

• I kinda wish Chivalry didn’t require a jump button just because space bar feels so natural for dodges, but having anything other than jump bound to space is verboten.

• @SlyGoat:

I kinda wish Chivalry didn’t require a jump button just because space bar feels so natural for dodges, but having anything other than jump bound to space is verboten.

When I MAA I use spacebar for dodge and R for jumping. I dodge more than jump.

• I bound dodge to CTRL.
    And moved crouch to Q.
    And moved Feint to E.(Since I’m never going to need to interact with something and feint at the same time.)

• @DemonicChocobo:

And moved Feint to E.(Since I’m never going to need to interact with something and feint at the same time.)

I think this is something we could improve on for default control schemes in the future. For example, alt could’ve easily been the default one button dodge key, since it does nothing for men-at-arms and archers can’t dodge.

• @SlyGoat:

I kinda wish Chivalry didn’t require a jump button just because space bar feels so natural for dodges, but having anything other than jump bound to space is verboten.

no it ain’t. i made space block for a while, while i put jumping, uhm…don’t remember. else-where. you can rebind jump. look in the movement section.

@SlyGoat:

@DemonicChocobo:

I think this is something we could improve on for default control schemes in the future. For example, alt could’ve easily been the default one button dodge key, since it does nothing for men-at-arms and archers can’t dodge.

yes, combining different keys that are never used together is a great help for keyboard space conservation, or something. but i’d say alt is actually very useful for MaA…what do you mean does nothing for them?

at the moment, i have my middle-mouse button for alt slash (used it with right mouse button, that was totally awesome, but it turns out blocking with middle mouse is dangerous because accidental scroll), and it’s very useful to avoid hitting allies or get around shields, to be able to pick which side to attack from. and the look along with missiles can easily go elsewhere, i merged it with alt attack under [tab] key, but it can merge with lots of actions. unfortunately the regular slash attack is the one thing i can’t rebind, or i would swap them around (unless someone know how to?)

more mouse buttons, yeah. that would be very useful. i’d so put dodge, crouch and stuff on there.

• @Deadpan:

@SlyGoat:

no it ain’t. i made space block for a while, while i put jumping, uhm…don’t remember. else-where. you can rebind jump. look in the movement section.

What I mean is, if the default binds had dodge bound to space (a function that only exists for a single class) and jump bound to something like alt, everyone would go “wtf?” :P

• @SlyGoat:

That’s actually one of the first keybind changes I made when I bought the game.

• @RushSecond:

@SlyGoat:

That’s actually one of the first keybind changes I made when I bought the game.

It took a few patches before the ability to bind multiple keys to the same function was added, so by then I was used to V for dodge. Now I can only dream of what might have been…

• you mean multiple functions to the same key?

(i put dodge back to v, and have duck at c, now my thumb is awkwardly placed half over my space bar. duck, dodge and jump are all similar things that aren’t used simultaneous, so i wanted them grouped, and my pinky ain’t as fast as my thumb)