Why do we actually need those really fast weapons?

• I’ve come to realize that Chivalry seems to be a more enjoyable game when nobody is using the really fast weapons like the Claymore and the SoW.

Aside from the fact those fast weapons seem have the biggest problems with readability and animation reliability the actual combat pace for medieval just feels more natural and realistic without them.

So really why do we even need to have weapons like that?

• They need to be able to compete with just as fast and if not faster one handers.

• Variety.

• Yea, there was a whole lot of variety going on with the knight setups before the SoW got nerfed…

• @SlyGoat:

Variety.

Is that why everyone and their dog and their dog’s dog was using pretty much the exact same staple loadout?

• Yesterday I played with the claymore on Team Objective and LTS, on a server with not too many people, and I got in a bunch of really interesting and fast-paced duels. Of course they all ended when my opponent feinted me, I never learnt feint or how to read them (yeah, I know, when you feint you don’t grunt) :P But yeah, when you can maintain a duel of that kind of speed with claymores, it gets your heart pumping.

Oh, and fighting in real life actually is pretty darn fast. It’s just that people wear armour, and armour keeps you alive a lot longer than it does in Chivalry. I hope, in the future, there could be a mod that focus more on realism. Where armour protect you much more, you can lash out more attacks, and still you don’t want to throw yourself at a superior number of enemies but instead you want to stay in a group and hold a shield, because shields are good to have.

• Yeah feinting tends to not be readable at Claymore speed. You can’t really wait for the grunt or wait for the swing.

• the claymore actually isn’t that bad, it’s fast as fuck yeah… but once you get the timing down it’s not that bad. The animations though get totally choppy after 1 swing into combo’s though, you have to just make a timing/judgement call at that point if the animations get all wonky. Feinting though is VERY hard to judge because of the speed, you REALLY don’t want to be wrong now because you get punished. I think some of the feint times are off though because i’ve been parried by so many attacks after i feint that i can’t even count now. People can pretty much parry anything now until stamina is out.

• You are right, dude : the problem with this game lays in the fast weapons

Not in its poor design based on graphics, bad animations, imbalancable variety, archer spam, 4 maps palayables, etc.

• @AngryDave:

I’ve come to realize that Chivalry seems to be a more enjoyable game when nobody is using the really fast weapons like the Claymore and the SoW.

For my part I really like fast paced combat as in sword- or knifefights. A duel between two Knights both using onehanded swords is fun. Same goes for dagger duels between Archers or Men at Arms. And both feel natural and realistic.

I also enjoy other aspects of the game (formation fighting, archery, …) - variety is a good thing. And I really dislike any attempt of cutting down this variety and railroading the gameplay.

• theres actually nothing wrong with claymore other than the horrendous desyncs in live, playing in beta and its fully managable.

• " I think some of the feint times are off though because i’ve been parried by so many attacks after i feint that i can’t even count now"

feint should be unstoppable? it’s really not that easy to block even if people aren’t feinting.

People can pretty much parry anything now until stamina is out.

you mean with shields? isn’t that what shields do? stamina runs out in two hits. seriously this stamina drain mechanic is a bit ridiculous. a lot of people, like me, put their shield on their back so they can parry better. how ridiculous is that?

as for breaking shield, isn’t that what kick is for? this shield penalty really needs to be rethought.

• Frankly the claymore is the only sword that behaves with a degree of authenticity at the moment. Every other sword feels and moves like a slow and heavy iron bar.

• Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for the variety and the fast paced combat element, just not insanely fast to the point where the game can’t display it properly and it is just becomes overpowering.

• @dotamachine:

theres actually nothing wrong with claymore other than the horrendous desyncs in live

This. Same goes for other fast weapons. Without desyncs (happen far too often in live but not all the time) and on a server with few lags (sadly the official ones are not this kind of server) they are fine and fun.

Daggers are tricky as they are just so tiny and your enemy is very close. But thats bascially their only advantage and you can still block them consistently if you are good enough (this is usually fatal for the Archer).

• daggers and shortswords should be the same speed as broadsword, but the the added penalty of less range and dmg. i have no issues with claymore.

• The only reason why SoW and Claymore were/are out of hand now are due to the desynch animations. A feint or combo will have it attacking out of turn with it’s animation almost every time. And that’s really weird because I don’t see that with the broad/norse/hatchet/daggers/etc all of which are faster. I’m thinking someone dropped the ball when they patched the speed.

• @Krellus:

daggers and shortswords should be the same speed as broadsword, but the the added penalty of less range and dmg. i have no issues with claymore.

They should be faster to balance out the lesser range and damage (which also means Daggers should be faster than the Shortsword). Weapons dominating other weapons is never a good thing even between primary and secondary weapons as it makes the dominated ones obsolete.

Balance right now is much better as there is a reason to pick the Shortsword, Cudgel or Thrusting Dagger and even the Saber as Man at Arms. I would like to upgrade this by making the Broad Dagger and Hunting Knife viable too instead of rendering secondaries useless.

• get better.