Reduce Special Stun Time? [POLL]

• Special Stun (such as being kicked when holding up a shield) was increased in the last patch from 1.5 seconds to 2. Older patches had even quicker times.

Nobody seems to think it was a good idea so I thought I’d make this poll.

• I’d prefer 1.7 because with 1.5 you could still parry indefinitely with no stamina unless the person you were parrying had a dagger.

• I like where it is now. Sometimes things get messy and other people get in the way so the extra bit of time can really help you land that hit you deserve.

Or maybe I’m just biased because my net sucks now.

• @Xanith:

I’d prefer 1.7 because with 1.5 you could still parry indefinitely with no stamina unless the person you were parrying had a dagger.

Really? The vast majority of weapons should be able to hit you in the 1.5 second window. I can tell you from bitter experience that if someone kicked a shield you could be hit by anything except the Maul in 1.5 seconds.

• Have it at 1.7.

When it was 1.5, it was too quick. Sure, you would most certainly land a hit if you already planned on hitting him again or noticed him getting stun really early on. But most of the time, at least for me, you hit him, he parries so you enable your Caution mode again because he might counter-attack… oh, he was stunned instead! Let’s strike him again. But oh no, I wasted too many milliseconds deciding if I should so now he managed to parry me again! :( It’s annoying for the attacker, and a relief for the victim.

Now, when it is 2 seconds, it’s pretty much a free hit. It’s the same thing here. I hit him, he parries, I prepare for a counter-attack but wait, he’s stunned! Oh, I didn’t notice he’d get stunned, so let’s hit him again. Sure, I wasted a few milliseconds not deciding to hit him right away, but he’s stunned for so long that I have time anyways! It’s annoying for the victim, and a joy for the attacker.

If it’s set to 1.7 seconds, I think that the victim has a greater chance of being able to parry an attack after a stun, but also a great chance of being attacked while still stunned. The attacker still has time to be undecisive, but still not enough time to have a free hit even if he waits too long.

You follow me?

Now, I don’t know if 1.7 is the magical number. But it’s set almost right between “too little” and “too much” so it might work out.

• With everything else punishing you in stam the stun is retarded at anything other than 1.5

• I just started playing with polearms again because I couldn’t believe this-

My combat goes: Cautious knight with shield approaches, I poke, he blocks, I poke, we continue for 4 or 5 hits. He gets staggered, I continue to poke him from 6 feet away, at little to no cost to me, with my brandistock. He will die. Soon.

It does seem to end fights that would otherwise be parrying choreography. But I hate that feeling of dread as I am arbitrarily paralyzed and forced to watch the claymore careen down in a murderous arc for my skull.

• Beta test 1.7.

Then see if it needs to be lower.

• The actual value is definitely much better than before. The stun at 1.5s gave only a very small window. And then your enemy got some stamina back which almost nullifies the punishment for running out of stamina when fighting a slow weapon.

The stun should be long enough that you can take advantage of it even when using the slowest melee weapon the game has to offer and without having to facehug lookdown overhead to do this. 1.5s is too short.

So either keep it or betatest 1.7s and see if it needs to be higher.

• The out of stamina stun was fine pre-patch. It allowed the attacker to get in a hit if he was prepared for the enemy to be stunned.
    It should not be a “free” hit for the unprepared.

• @Alyx:

The out of stamina stun was fine pre-patch. It allowed the attacker to get in a hit if he was prepared for the enemy to be stunned.

You should get punished for running out of stamina. 1.5 seconds still means they got a free hit on you anyway. You just didn’t really need to worry about stamina beforehand.

• @Alyx:

But it should be a free hit for every melee weapon if you are prepared. And being prepared does not mean facehugging your enemy and looking at his feet.

If you hit an out-of-stamina enemy at maximum range using the Maul you should be able to follow up with another strike and hit him (minimum time for this is 1.5s* if you strike and hit immediately which requires you to facehug). You shouldn’t be forced to move into a bad position to be able to punish an enemy who ran out of stamina.

The stun time has to be more than 1.5s for the Maul. So it should be kept above this value or made specific for each weapon (like <time to="" attack="" again="">+windup+0.25s).

*updated: now 0.7 windup + 0.8 deflected</time>

• @Alyx:

The out of stamina stun was fine pre-patch. It allowed the attacker to get in a hit if he was prepared for the enemy to be stunned.

Except for the fact that stamina management is now a thing which you need to consider. If you were dumb and didn’t manage your stamina, you deserve to be punished.

• I dont know why it should be bad. Some weapons cant do anything when stunned to 1.5 sec (maul)
    2 sec is perfectly fine for all weapons to hit once and with every type of attack

• This is bad because of the compounded effect of the anti-facehugging bubble. What is happening is that many are swinging through player models doing no hit registration thus wasting stam with every swing that fails to make contact. Thus you are out of stam, your enemy is at full health and now you are stunned and dead. This is why it is a bad idea compounded by another bad idea.

You cannot combat a valid tactic by nerfing the game mechanics. Well you can but few people will want to play it.

• ProMod is 1.5 and it feels super fast. Id vote on 1.7 or 2.0, luckily ProMod is all about voting so we shall see when one comes up.

• I would go with 1.5. But chuck 1.7 in the beta and see what happens.

• lols 72% of those polled say .2 is too much and should be considered failure.

• @Retsnom:

lols 72% of those polled say .2 is too much and should be considered failure.

I’m not sure if you mean .2 is a failure of the poll is a failure?

• Ok, only 14% think that .2 is where it should be where as the other votes combines say that .2 is a bad idea = failure. Is that clearer?