Add assists to the scoreboard

• The scoreboard matters to people and if the process proves simple enough, I’d like to see assists tacked on besides total kills. I think it will reduce the amount of tking, providing players some incentive to coordinate rather than compete to kill a bloody enemy. This game inflames egos and assists are represented in total score, but you do not have to be as combat effective to rack up objective points as you do with assists or kills, and combat effectiveness seems to be what players like to target each other over.

• i don’t know how assists are calculated, but i suspect it’s the second last person to damage someone, so that doesn’t much solve going for kill-steals.

rather, maybe points aught to be rewarded for damage done. such as, 1 point for each 5% damage, 5 for a killing blow.

also, Objective points would possibly work better on the scoreboard for roughly what you desire. though i would note it all sums up to total score, which is given and even what the names are ordered by.

also it could never be perfect anyway. i often distract enemies, especially Archers, making them run after me or shoot my shield, so my allies can outnumber the rest. it awards no points but is arguably effective.

• I think everyone should also have the number of TK’s and current team damage percentage by their name on the scoreboard as well. Shouldn’t have to votekick someone before seeing their amount of team damage.

• @Deadpan:

i don’t know how assists are calculated, but i suspect it’s the second last person to damage someone, so that doesn’t much solve going for kill-steals.

rather, maybe points aught to be rewarded for damage done. such as, 1 point for each 5% damage, 5 for a killing blow.

also, Objective points would possibly work better on the scoreboard for roughly what you desire. though i would note it all sums up to total score, which is given and even what the names are ordered by.

also it could never be perfect anyway. i often distract enemies, especially Archers, making them run after me or shoot my shield, so my allies can outnumber the rest. it awards no points but is arguably effective.

It’s 5 points for any enemy killed that you damaged. I would think every person who managed to damage that one enemy before he was killed gets 5 points, but I dunno. It should be like that if it isn’t, at least. Anyways, I’m glad they at least have points for kill assists in the game. Some matches I can’t manage to kill anyone, but I manage to stab loads of people. I could have like 5 kills and 17 assists.

I think that at the end of the rounds, there could be a few fun titles like “Most kills”, “Most assists”, “Best K:D ratio” etc. Like in Red Orchestra 2. It’s nothing you really care about, it’s just a nice addition. In Red Orchestra 2, they also count points differently. Simply killing an enemy gives you few points, but if you kill him within the zone of an objective, and in the vicinity of your officer, you get points for protecting a superior and helping the team capturing the objective.

I think points in TO is a little funky. Sometimes I don’t get any points for pushing the cart. Is it the amount of time you stay by the cart you get points for, and not the amount of ground you manage to push the cart?

A semi-related idea, what about points for saving your friends? If you kill an enemy that is beating your friend senseless, you get the 10 points for killing him and 5 points for saving a life! :)

Also points for killing enemies actively progressing their goals, like using the ram in Stoneshill or ballistas in Hillside (and personally, I think there should be a bit of a pushing animation for the cart in Dark Forest as well.)

• yeah, i’ve got hundreds of objective points for little things before, while once after killing a whole lot of “family members”, including breaking down their doors, i only had 22 objective point total.

doesn’t seem to be working right. oh and, i think you already get some points for killing people doing the objective as defender. at least, i sometimes get a few points as defender, and i wouldn’t know what else i get them for.

anyway, these would seem nice features to add after all the bugs have been fixed.

• I like the idea of whoever deals the most damage getting the kill, and then whoever gets the killing blow getting an assist (provided the “whittler” is dead.)

I can see how this would be an issue in the “kill-que” at the top right, though. Well, this would be an issue regardless. It would need a lot of refining and tweaking to be feasible.

It’s pretty frustrating when I whittle down four enemies to within an inch of their life and then get killed, then some stupid mean poopypants vanguard comes in and offs them with a single strike.

As an archer, I always pay more attention to my assists than my kills. Most of my kills come from melee, anyway.

• @Carolean:

I like the idea of whoever deals the most damage getting the kill, and then whoever gets the killing blow getting an assist (provided the “whittler” is dead.)

I can see how this would be an issue in the “kill-que” at the top right, though. Well, this would be an issue regardless. It would need a lot of refining and tweaking to be feasible.

It’s pretty frustrating when I whittle down four enemies to within an inch of their life and then get killed, then some stupid mean poopypants vanguard comes in and offs them with a single strike.

As an archer, I always pay more attention to my assists than my kills. Most of my kills come from melee, anyway.

A kill is a kill though. Killing blows are important because badly wounded enemies can still escape, finish the objective, kill your teammates especially when they go into a frenzy. Being able to finish wounded enemies who are often more careful and alert if they have been hurt is important and that’s just the way FPS’s work - the coup de grace is an art. That’s why I would suggest putting assists up there, which are equally important.

• This post is deleted!

• I agree with this. I believe we had it in AoC, so definitely is something I’d like to see in Chiv.

• @Kimiko:

I agree with this. I believe we had it in AoC, so definitely is something I’d like to see in Chiv.

Cool, I’m glad the lady of the house agrees with me.

• i also like how counterstrike does the assists on the killfeed, showing the main killer first plus the assister. So you’d see like Killername + Assistname >> DeadGuysName