For all you Americans…

• What’s the deal with PRISM?

Is it going too far?

Is the media exaggerating?

• heh, read some of those documents from Britain’s GCHQ titled “Mastering the Internet”…

Ain’t just Americans.

• I’ve reported this thread to the NSA.

• Didn’t need to, they were already watching it. ;)

Kinda pisses me off tbh. Americans (the government at very least) have always been arrogant twats. What right have they to feel they’re entitled to my private content? I’m not an American.

Like I said though my own country is just as bad, they’re all at it.

• I don’t give a shit. I’m not a terrorist. They can look at my private stuff all day long as 5 minutes after someone stops looking they would have completely forgotten everything about me.

I don’t see people’s problems. What do you all have to hide.

• @lemonater47:

I don’t give a shit. I’m not a terrorist. They can look at my private stuff all day long as 5 minutes after someone stops looking they would have completely forgotten everything about me.

The idea of someone recording your Skype and cell phone calls doesn’t bother you in the least?

@BobT36:

heh, read some of those documents from Britain’s GCHQ titled “Mastering the Internet”…

Ain’t just Americans.

I did read that other countries cooperated with PRISM and benefited from the data collected.

• @Daiyuki:

@lemonater47:

I don’t give a shit. I’m not a terrorist. They can look at my private stuff all day long as 5 minutes after someone stops looking they would have completely forgotten everything about me.

The idea of someone recording your Skype and cell phone calls doesn’t bother you in the least?

No becuase who’s gonna actually listen and actually give a crap about your Skype Call.

A guy listens to it finds nothing of value and moves on completely forgetting it. And that’s even if it gets listened to.

No harm will come your way.

• @lemonater47:

@Daiyuki:

@lemonater47:

No becuase who’s gonna actually listen and actually give a crap about your Skype Call.

A guy listens to it finds nothing of value and moves on completely forgetting it. And that’s even if it gets listened to.

I guess you’ve never seen stupid CCTV footage on the internet? Videos you sent your girlfriend that ended up on the Web? Drunken texts, etc. People who have access to private things will use them however they want, especially if it’s embarassing or funny or dumb.

The idea that every stupid thing I’ve ever said to a girl, or any extremely private/sad moment on Skype, is available to be passed around an NSA office is just abhorrent to me.

• MUH FREEDOM

• @Daiyuki:

@lemonater47:

@Daiyuki:

I guess you’ve never seen stupid CCTV footage on the internet? Videos you sent your girlfriend that ended up on the Web? Drunken texts, etc. People who have access to private things will use them however they want, especially if it’s embarassing or funny or dumb.

The idea that every stupid thing I’ve ever said to a girl, or any extremely private/sad moment on Skype, is available to be passed around an NSA office is just abhorrent to me.

Oh sure to the goverment that puts CCTV footage on the Internet.

And have you ever though of the more likely option? Maybe you girlfriend or whoever you sent the texts too put then up on the damn Internet? That’s what happens. They could be with other people that saw what you sent too.

They don’t actively monitor everything you say. That would take so much manpower. Texts are done by machine and trigger words. Calls and stuff would only get monitored from suspected criminals.

Don’t let paranoia overcome logical thinking. I mean come on. Your not gonna end up on the Internet due to the goverment.

• I never said the government in any of my examples, but you keep saying “the government” as if it’s a single entity. All my examples are of people possessing private information and showing them to other people with any kind of permission. “The government” is just people and they have to search through the information they gather. They can input any search term they want, that has been stated in the information that’s available to us. So those people that sort through the collected information, you think they’re just going to ignore something particularly striking or entertaining? At the very least it’s going to engender a “Hey John, come look at this!”.

Not an idea I like, especially since there’s basically no limitations regarding people outside of America; only citizens are afforded some privacy protection and that seems pretty meager in itself.

• @Daiyuki:

I never said the government in any of my examples, but you keep saying “the government” as if it’s a single entity. All my examples are of people possessing private information and showing them to other people with any kind of permission. “The government” is just people and they have to search through the information they gather. They can input any search term they want, that has been stated in the information that’s available to us. So those people that sort through the collected information, you think they’re just going to ignore something particularly striking or entertaining? At the very least it’s going to engender a “Hey John, come look at this!”.

Not an idea I like, especially since there’s basically no limitations regarding people outside of America; only citizens are afforded some privacy protection and that seems pretty meager in itself.

You do realise that every country spies on each other. Its just America has been caught out several times. Becuase America is America and nobody likes them.

Watching videos all day gets boring even though there may be some funny stuff. I work in a censorship office, I classify movies. I thought that would be fun. Watching 4-5 movies a week gets really damn boring. And usually I have to watch them twice. And they are proper movies that are interesting.

They are gonna come across a whole bunch of shit. And if they work for a “secret spy organisation” they are hardly gonna keep their jobs if they post any of what they saw on the Internet. They are likely to lose their damn jobs.

And like I said man power. They aren’t gonna watch everyone’s Skype calls or listen to everyone’s phone calls. That would require hundreds of thousands if not millions of people to do.

Text based communication would go through computers looking for trigger words and if there’s enough trigger words or phrases then someone will have a look at it. So as long as you aren’t death threating to someone you will be fine.

And what about a the other countries that spy on each other oh no. Not just America. There’s no escaping it.

Face it all your gonna get spied on. And it hasn’t caused any harm. The only harm is by people trying to uncover and steal information. The ones that many people like yourself are praising.

• @lemonater47:

Nothing to do with having anything to “hide”, it’s called respect for personal privacy, and not being an arrogant twat who think they’re entitled to go through everything of everyone else’s, even where there’s no need to do so

I presume you’d be fine with a random person from another country turning up at your door, inviting themselves in and rifling through all your stuff? Even if they weren’t “looking” at it, just categorising and compiling it with everyone else’s.

I’m not American, and have nothing to do with America or it’s security so to me the American government doesn’t even have a legal right to go through my stuff, digital or non. It’s my stuff and I’m not one of their citizens so they can get fucked off. Whether I have “anything to hide” or not has nothing to do with it, I wouldn’t let them waltz into my house, so I should expect that they shouldn’t be able to help themselves to all my digital content also.

Would be irrated enough at my own government doing it (they do), without a warrant etc anyways. With a warrant or where there’s an absolute reason to suspect there’s a problem with a SPECIFIC person? All fine.

• @BobT36:

@lemonater47:

Nothing to do with having anything to “hide”, it’s called respect for personal privacy, and not being an arrogant twat who think they’re entitled to go through everything of everyone else’s, even where there’s no need to do so

I presume you’d be fine with a random person from another country turning up at your door, inviting themselves in and rifling through all your stuff? Even if they weren’t “looking” at it, just categorising and compiling it with everyone else’s.

I’m not American, and have nothing to do with America or it’s security so to me the American government doesn’t even have a legal right to go through my stuff, digital or non. It’s my stuff and I’m not one of their citizens so they can get fucked off. Whether I have “anything to hide” or not has nothing to do with it, I wouldn’t let them waltz into my house, so I should expect that they shouldn’t be able to help themselves to all my digital content also.

Would be irrated enough at my own government doing it (they do), without a warrant etc anyways. With a warrant or where there’s an absolute reason to suspect there’s a problem with a SPECIFIC person? All fine.

I agree with all you say. But you put it wrong :P

It’s not like a person showing up by your house, knocking on the door and inviting himself inside to categorize and write down everything he finds.

It’s more like… he invites himself inside your house while you aren’t even there! But you know that he probably has been there or will be there in the future sometime, because you know that there exist a company of people who are by law allowed to go into people’s houses when they are unaware and look at all their stuff. You know it because it’s happening around you. It has happened to people you know, you see it on the news where it happen to people that do have something to hide, and you know it, while sitting at work, that right now, in this moment, someone is probably inside your house, in your bedroom, raffling through your desk.

What does this remind you of? It reminds me of Nineteen Eighty-Four.

A similar thing has been going on in Sweden for a few years as well, it’s called the FRA law.

• Agreed, that’s a better way of putting it.

I also think my own government are a bunch of twats for thinking they’re entitled to “Master the Internet” as well.

Keeping one’s own country safe, doesn’t mean you have to fuck over EVERYONE in the process, both those out of, and in one’s own country. I could understand other countries being just as pissed at my government collecting all their data etc.

They keep droning on about how they only use it for “specific” instances (of which there’s apparently been thousands), but that still doesn’t change the fact they’re taking it from EVERYONE.

The other thing that really pisses me off is that a lot of it isn’t even in the public domain. Google got slapped from pilfering data from open wireless networks, but at least those were actually open. With stuff like this, my private Skype chats or whatever else, they’re forcing themselves in to it, when the entire point of it being under MY account and not being set to visible by all is that I expect it to be PRIVATE. Fuckwads need to realise they’re not entitled to piss about with everyone’s stuff and homes. Unless someone’s directly (or with good reason to suspect of) providing a threat, they should have no legal way of taking ANYTHING.

• They only spy on those they know or suspect is bad. They wouldn’t waste money spying on Mr an Mrs nobody from Dover.

• @lemonater47:

They only spy on those they know or suspect is bad. They wouldn’t waste money spying on Mr an Mrs nobody from Dover.

It’s dragnet surveillance. By definition, they spy on everyone. They just don’t USE all the info, but they still take it and they still have it filed.

• @Daiyuki:

@lemonater47:

They only spy on those they know or suspect is bad. They wouldn’t waste money spying on Mr an Mrs nobody from Dover.

It’s dragnet surveillance. By definition, they spy on everyone. They just don’t USE all the info, but they still take it and they still have it filed.

And that’s not a problem. No human lays eyes on that information.

• @lemonater47:

@Daiyuki:

@lemonater47:

And that’s not a problem. No human lays eyes on that information.

Personal preference. Again would you let them (or be ok with them forcing themselves in) to your house, cataloguing everything you have, just because they felt like it? I’d tell them to fuck right off.

My digital possessions are just as important to me as my real ones, they are also Mine. I don’t care what they are and so on, it’s the principle that some twatbag in another country thinks they’re entitled to go rifling through MY stuff. It’s not theirs to take and catalogue. There should be NO need to collect stuff from those who are not suspect. And yes as I keep mentioning, my own government is being just as bad with trying to collect data from elsewhere too.

Also just because something isn’t as bad as in China, doesn’t mean should just say “oh it’s all ok then”, because it’s still shit! Also there’s the issue that they could at ANY time define something new as “suspect”, and suddenly you’re on the list, for previously having something you didn’t even know was “bad” in that other country. Ofc I don’t believe I’d ever get caught up in that still but again, it’s not the point.

My stuff has nothing to bloody do with a load of old arseholes and a group of techs, or electronic storage servers in another country, heck my own barely has any reason to go through it. This also turns “innocent until proven guilty” on it’s head. I have nothing to do with America or any other country whatsoever, they should keep their bloody noses out. My own also needs a slap and keep their own noses out of their citizen’s business, UNLESS there is good reason to suspect something wrong, and have a warrant, not just take everything regardless.