Stream quality goes to shit in fights

• So yeah. My stream quality is excellent in many other games, and even in Chivalry when I’m not doing much, but it sucks as soon as I get into a fight. PC specs are in my sig. Any possible cause? I use OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) as my stream software.

• Game has little optimizing ,(if any)

• Developer

Probably:

Fights => increased sounds => increased CPU use

I assume your recording thingamabob is heavy on the CPU. Most software-only recording solutions tend to do most of the work in the CPU.

You can decrease sound-related CPU use by increasing the SoundMinCompressed variable in UDKSystemSettings.ini (it also increases memory consumption), and decreasing MaxChannels in UDKEngine.ini.

• Chivalry and many other unreal 3 engine games hate being recorded. Even bandicam which has pretty much no FPS and any other game suffers a 10-15 drop in FPS.

I can do BF3 in 1080 with no drop. And the same file size as chivalry 720. Which is weird.

• Thanks CS for the tips. They didn’t help my stream quality, sadly. My CPU is powerful enough to handle the overhead, but when OBS puts my stream on Twitch, for some reason it supercompresses it almost beyond recognition during fights (while in menus and standing still, the game looks mostly clear). Using my OBS preview window showed that my stream quality is indeed pretty good.

Why does the stream quality only go to shit on Twitch and during fights? Is it Chivalry hogging up all my upload bandwidth in fights? 4mbps upload speed ftw.

• I can stream 720 in other games with 1Mb/s upload. Haven’t tried chiv yet.

And often chivalry takes a back set when anyone else’s wants to download a 10MB file on another PC.

• @lemonater47:

I can stream 720 in other games with 1Mb/s upload. Haven’t tried chiv yet.

And often chivalry takes a back set when anyone else’s wants to download a 10MB file on another PC.

mega_bits_ or mega_bytes_? 4 mbps is 500 kilobytes per second. if yours is megabytes, yours is twice mine which is surely enough to stream 720p chivalry

• @Event:

@lemonater47:

mega_bits_ or mega_bytes_? 4 mbps is 500 kilobytes per second. if yours is megabytes, yours is twice mine which is surely enough to stream 720p chivalry

Lol. I’m being old fashioned.

Its megabits. Just the old way of representing megabits per second.

Mb/s was megabits per second.
    MB/s is megabytes per second.

People got confused so they changed it to Mbps.

The convention was capitalised for Bytes and lower case for bits.

I was taught the old way. And I actually didn’t realise they changed conventions for about two years.

• @lemonater47:

@Event:

@lemonater47:

Lol. I’m being old fashioned.

Its megabits. Just the old way of representing megabits per second.

Mb/s was megabits per second.
    MB/s is megabytes per second.

People got confused so they changed it to Mbps.

The convention was capitalised for Bytes and lower case for bits.

I was taught the old way. And I actually didn’t realise they changed conventions for about two years.

I still don’t know why ONLY networking use bits anymore when everything else use bytes these days. Perhaps to make it sound cooler in commercials?

“Speeds of UP TO* 24 mbps!!!”

*Speeds not guaranteed

• Where I live the ISPs don’t advertise is speeds. We have broadband and dial up. Those are our two speeds.

It all depends on where you live.

Though with the new fibre being later into the ground they will soon hav a new speed. Fibre. 3 speeds now.

Where I am I get 11mbps down and 1mbps up. In early march my speeds were 8 down and 0.8 up. They upgraded to fibre 300m away from where I live as there’s a school there. For some dumb reasons schools got priority.

Does a school really need 100mbps down and 10mbps up. When they see doing fine with a tenth of that speed.

If you lived by a school your Internet got upgraded.

I just missed out. Gotta wait till 2016.