What's this "Steam trading card" I just got?

• http://sadpanda.us/images/1730610-OZ5ML5R.jpg

Just showed up as a new inventory item for me.

• It’s a hacker identification card. Detective Slygoat and the Steam police will be coming for you.

• Looks like TBS got these into the game in time for a 75% deal today.

• “Once you’ve collected a set of cards you can craft them into a game badge. Like the current badges, they are tied to your account and are shown on your profile. Unlike the current badges, crafting game badges earns you marketable items like emoticons, profile backgrounds, and coupons. Level up your badge by collecting the set again and earning more items.”

You need to collect all 8 chiv cards (you can only get 4 yourself) and craft the badge.

• I asked myself the same question. It just… It seems so complicated I can’t even be bothered to try and understand what it says on the Steam website about them.

• How can I earn more drops?
    You are not currently eligible for a booster pack
    Once you have received all of your card drops, you become eligible for a booster pack containing 3 additional cards. Booster packs are granted randomly to eligible users as more badges are crafted by members of the community. Make sure you log in to Steam each week to maintain eligibility.

I don’t get it, it doesn’t say “how I earn more cards.” The card pics really do look awesome though. And if you can only get 4, how do you get the others? I know you can trade them, but if you trade, does that remove your copy?

Just tested, yeah trading does remove your copy…

http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/items/219640/51dd37af9b17d6a7f7610bc72fd00775e668fe2b.jpg

• Congrats! It’s your lucky day :) Our first day of the trading cards - so exciting! In addition to the cards, you’ll start getting emoticons as well. The whole thing is still kind of confusing, but basically you get 4 cards from playing the game. Everything else you get by trading with other users or purchasing in the Community Market.

• I have the Agatha Knight and Man At Arms so far.

• You’re supposed to trade cards from other games for the ones you want.

• @SlyGoat:

You’re supposed to trade cards from other games for the ones you want.

What do you do with the cards exactly?

• @ChuckingIt:

@SlyGoat:

You’re supposed to trade cards from other games for the ones you want.

What do you do with the cards exactly?

When you collect a set you can trade them in to get profile backgrounds and chat emoticons.

• I don’t suppose playing beta will let me collect cards will it?

• If you collect all the cards for a particular game (Chivalry has 8) you can then craft them into a badge which in addition to odd drops like coupons and emoticons or whatever, gives your account XP and levels it up (bragging rights, otherwise useless). You can also feature the badge on your profile if you are proud of it.

You can also buy and sell cards on the marketplace.

• @dudeface:

If you collect all the cards for a particular game (Chivalry has 8) you can then craft them into a badge which in addition to odd drops like coupons and emoticons or whatever, gives your account XP and levels it up (bragging rights, otherwise useless). You can also feature the badge on your profile if you are proud of it.

Ah…. This will be like crack to the kids.

• @dudeface:

If you collect all the cards for a particular game (Chivalry has 8) you can then craft them into a badge which in addition to odd drops like coupons and emoticons or whatever, gives your account XP and levels it up (bragging rights, otherwise useless). You can also feature the badge on your profile if you are proud of it.

Every Steam level increases the maximum size of your friends list, so there is at least some practical purpose to it.

• @SlyGoat:

@dudeface:

Every Steam level increases the maximum size of your friends list, so there is at least some practical purpose to it.

I only put real freinds or useful people on my freinds list. So it remains quite small.

• I did not know there was a maximum size!

• Look something shiny…… Much ado bout nothing…

• kinda like your clan amirite

• hmm… I have 3 Agatha maa and a mason vanguard.