SHIP MAP: some ideas for one.

• Yes, yes, I know there is a thread on this, but everyone was just complaining about the original modules that were by no means a finished map. I am not claiming credit for this picture, or half these ideas, I just thought there was a need for an Ideas and Suggestions thread about this.Here’s a pic of some modules.

FYI, I am talking about different things when I say ships and boats below.

My ideas:

This map has nearly nothing to do with Naval Warfare. It is simply a map made of several boats and two ships planked together.

Teams should each have one Flag ship. Just import the Hillside ships, Should be easy because there’s already a Mason and Agatha one. This will also solve a very discussed problem with ship maps by providing a protected spawn area for each team.

In the large space between the flag ship, there should be boats, like the one I have a link to above, but much more of them, maybe about ten. Planks between the boats.

Boats should look like this.(Though the hillside boats are already almost there.)

Remove boat sails from the Hillside boats. (the boats at the beginning Agatha spawn.) For the shields, customize 2-3 different kinds of bucklers for each team and place them on the sides of the normal boats, in a pattern.

Make sure there is plenty of cover from those annoying archers, who will be shooting out of the already-existing cannon holes of the flag ships.

Catapults should go on the flagships, ballistae on elevated positions on SOME of the boats.

Uses

This map would be great for just about anything but TO. There could be a duel and FFA versions. This map would be great for Capture the Flag, and that commander vs. commander game type some people (including me) have been asking for.

So…will this happen?

• Cannon holes?

They don’t really have ship cannons. Ships in those days had one big cannon mounted on the front and some could be turned.

• @lemonater47:

Cannon holes?

They don’t really have ship cannons. Ships in those days had one big cannon mounted on the front and some could be turned.

You didn’t understand me. The current existing since release ships on hillside do have cannons whether we like it or not. It isn’t something I’m proposing. I just think that they would help archers have a purpose on this map if the hillside ships were implemented as spawn points.

Here’s a map of the proposed map.

http://i.imgur.com/32GosGq.png

EDIT: The ships that I say are from hillside are also the ones you see from the Training.

• If they’d really make such a map based on your layout it will be very infuriating to fall off one of the boats or get killed by the archers with too much spatial advantage. It would be also very rewarding to kick people off in FFA. I was thinking something twice as big as the Galleon map in Unreal Tournament. Or two of those boats with ropes and planks joined together. There’s plenty of room to add gameplay to these maps. Cannonballs, ballistae, great atmosphere? Maybe a moving map to a castle/wall of some sort like in hillside. The ship sways when it gets hit by cannonballs.
    It would be a lot of prop work and it would have limited players, so I don’t think your idea or mine of a confined ship map would be interesting for the devs to do. However this makes me want to learn UDK and do it myself. Don’t expect any alpha versions until 2015 though :)

• its a good idea, although the ships seem to small maybe the ones that you can see in the training video. If it had the top deck and a lower deck that would be even more awesome. Having only one plank to get from on boat to another would really suck. There would have to be at least three i would think since archers would just camp the one plank. Cool map level idea tho!

• @Maximus:

its a good idea, although the ships seem to small maybe the ones that you can see in the training video. If it had the top deck and a lower deck that would be even more awesome.

I mentioned that there would be ships as well as boats in my original post and in my map of the map. The ships on the map hillside and in the bay near the training video have two decks, and I proposed spawning in the lower deck.

Also, I agree that there should be multiple planks and cover from archers on the boats, that is a good idea.

Thank you for the feedback!

• i’m sorry, but this just seems like it would be a lot of fun, and this game already has plenty of fun. do we really need any more of that?

hmm, i think a boat where you can easily be pushed off could be yet more fun sigh for duels or king of the hill mode. i reckon some people might play around with that, sort of sumo mode.

• @Deadpan:

i’m sorry, but this just seems like it would be a lot of fun, and this game already has plenty of fun. do we really need any more of that?

hmm, i think a boat where you can easily be pushed off could be yet more fun sigh for duels or king of the hill mode. i reckon some people might play around with that, sort of sumo mode.

Your username tells me “don’t comment” but my inner chivalry lover says “WHY WOULD YOU SAY SUCH A THING”.

I WANT MORE FUN, ALWAYS MORE FUN!

• It’s a good idea at all, but wouldn’t it look a bit strange if the boats are standing still, connected by planks or ropes? The ships should move, at least they should look like they’re moving in water.

• @Jezal:

It’s a good idea at all, but wouldn’t it look a bit strange if the boats are standing still, connected by planks or ropes? The ships should move, at least they should look like they’re moving in water.

Moving slowly back and forth is a good idea. I would help with the archer problem, too, making people harder to hit.

• And the problem about kicking people from the boats in FFA or DUEL is easy to avoid… Just give the boats some higher side walls so that you can’t get kicked into water but jump.