What if vanguards had a perma-shield on their back

• That they couldn’t access for melee? It would only be used for range protection on their back only.

• Buff the smoke pot instead! I’m using it all the time against archers, works pretty good to flank them :)

• Actually a good idea for a Tertiary. You can decide to pick throwables or have a shield protecting your back (similar to the Pavise for Archers). I would not like it on every Vanguard.

• @Evil:

Actually a good idea for a Tertiary. You can decide to pick throwables or have a shield protecting your back (similar to the Pavise for Archers). I would not like it on every Vanguard.

That’s a fantastic idea.

• How about the ability to pick some sort of special armor that reduces incoming projectile damage from the chest and legs (not head)?

• Or make smoke pots have a larger smoke radius.

• @zombojoe:

Or make smoke pots have a larger smoke radius.

They have buffed smoke pots in every way.

You even have two now.

Just make them last a tad longer.

• Smoke pots don’t help you enough. They’re more useful in melee situations than giving you an archer shield. You can throw smoke pots at archers all you want, they only have to take two steps left or right to see you, or you can throw them inbetween you and them and then that barely covers any distance in most cases.

They’re not the answer.

• (similar to the Pavise for Archers)

that’s a myth. the Pavise on the back offers no protection whatsoever. in fact, all it does is flag “hey, archer here, with his back turned! take him now!”

a knight’s kite shield however, has some magical properties, blocking missiles from the front while on a knights back.

smoke screens can really be a great help in some situations. just just can’t carry the smoke in front of you, no.
    it’s hugely helpful protecting the king, or many other TO situations. it can cover you while fighting others, just throw it behind them so their archers can’t support them.

• Make smoke pots as disorientating as being on fire. If you are near the smoke cloud then your vision is affected or something.

Or maybe have some sort of “Adrenaline” mode where if the Vanguard is in charge mode (where his weapon is drawn back) then he takes reduced damage from projectiles and cannot be staggered/flinched by projectiles? Or is that too drastic?

I can envision an All Vanguard strat on Stoneshill for when you want to kill the king. ;)

• @DokB:

Make smoke pots as disorientating as being on fire. If you are near the smoke cloud then your vision is affected or something.

Smoke pots should cause those within its AoE to start coughing and get a biiit of a blurry vision, since the smoke makes their eyes tear. :) Vanguards are immune to this effect.

• 420 blaze it

• @Deadpan:

(similar to the Pavise for Archers)

that’s a myth. the Pavise on the back offers no protection whatsoever. in fact, all it does is flag “hey, archer here, with his back turned! take him now!”

a knight’s kite shield however, has some magical properties, blocking missiles from the front while on a knights back.

smoke screens can really be a great help in some situations. just just can’t carry the smoke in front of you, no.
    it’s hugely helpful protecting the king, or many other TO situations. it can cover you while fighting others, just throw it behind them so their archers can’t support them.

Umm, pavise blocks arrows the best because it’s larger than the Archer’s body. Just look up when you reload so you don’t expose your ass and legs as you bend down to reload your crossbow, which is probably what is happening to you.

Getting shot in the ass is lethal!

• @SavageBeatings:

@DokB:

Make smoke pots as disorientating as being on fire. If you are near the smoke cloud then your vision is affected or something.

Smoke pots should cause those within its AoE to start coughing and get a biiit of a blurry vision, since the smoke makes their eyes tear. :) Vanguards are immune to this effect.

Now we are getting somewhere

These ideas would be great for the smoke pot.

• they should also be able to cast magic fireballs, summon dragons, and emit lasers.

• The shield is a very interesting idea.

Smoke pots giving ppl blurry vision seems like a total fuckup in huge fights, some one just tosses in 2 of them and tadaaa! We got an even larger mess than before.

Maybe increase the AoE and time they last.

Vanguard charge mode seems to be too OP as you just stated, killing the Kings ain’t hard anymore; kinda reminds of BANZAAAAI in Rising Storm though.

Armour plates for Vanguards to decrease damage…meh. Vanguard is supposed to be vulnerable; he’s already the most powerful offensive force on the battlefield, giving him an armour buff would be cocking it all up. Maybe increase his lifepoints instead.

• @Daiyuki:
    alright thanks, i’ll look up next time. i had indeed recently have my javelin blocked by an enemy Pavise on his back.

• @TheUndying:

Smoke pots giving ppl blurry vision seems like a total fuckup in huge fights, some one just tosses in 2 of them and tadaaa! We got an even larger mess than before.

It’ll surely annoy your own team mates too, if that’s the case.

I wouldn’t want it so blurry you can’t see anything. I just want it blurry enough to make it harder to aim ranged weapons, but you will still be able to fight folks in melee just fine.

Also, if you toss one of those right in a battle between your side and the enemies, I don’t think the slight blur effect is gonna be the biggest concern. I think they’re more annoyed over the big fucking smoke cloud blocking their vision completely right where their enemies are.

The blur effect is for people who step out of the cloud, like archers always do when you try to toss a few and flank them but they can simply take two steps left and kill you anyways (of course depends on their location, open field versus small balcony.)

• The blur effect would end up being like drinking mead in tavern, and it’s a terrible idea, no thank you. Fighting in the smoke is a very important tool for securing objectives like the ram on Stoneshill or breaking down family doors in Dark Forest.

• @SOC:

protection on their back only.

…How would that be helpful? Vanguards are ment as an assault class, having a shield on the back only helps if they are retreating or if they have turned around to engage an enemy on their heels.