WMFC - World Medieval Fighting Championship LTS 4Real

• This is blowing up in Russia and just starting in the USA
    Official Russian site: http://www.worldmfc.com Use google translate.
    Official USA Site: http://www.armoredcombatleague.us/
    USA Promo Video: [youtubehd:2evoyoyk]rB7kOyvH1gc[/youtubehd:2evoyoyk]

• This looks FREAKING AWESOME. I’m so going to do this one day. I’ll learn how to be good and fight my way to the top and learn awesome mechanics like combo feint to parry and– oh wait that’s against the rules now? Who said? Oh some bad players who call it an exploit? Welp never mind, World Sissy Fighting is more like it.

In all srsness, this looks amazing.

• I remember seeing a Russian video of ACL, I think it may have even been linked on this forum somewhere else.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyPNE5_d … g&index=61
    this one here

I want to do this sport so badly

• Yeah I used to do live steel weapon demos for ren fairs through out the midwest for over 8 years. I have fought with many of the weapons in the game. But we could never afford all the armor so it was always, practice practice practice, 70% power and no head shots. You would be surprised at how hard that is to do.

• fucking AWESOME.

Also they played Loser by Ayreon. :D :D

And March of Mephisto by Kamelot!

• Not sure about the sport, but I like the Kamelot March of Mephisto in it

Event Horizon… am I… you?

I love that movie

I can’t figure out why they put the Kamelot in though. Surely Sabaton or Amon Amarth would’ve been more appropriate.

• @Event:

fucking AWESOME.

Also they played Loser by Ayreon. :D :D

And March of Mephisto by Kamelot!

And Blood and Thunder by Mastodon!

• Based on the rules, this seems silly. The aim is “get the other guy on the ground”, so why the fuck do you need weapons? Every single “out” I saw was just some guy shoving the other guy off-balance because he’s in fucking full armor and can’t catch his balance.

I was in a Live Action RolePlay for a few years with no fantasy bullshit or powers besides a cleric that can heal, basically just combat with a set amount of hit points. Armor adds to your hit points, so there was incentive to have full armor, but the rules amount to “Your character can do what you can do”, so if you can do backflips at will like one guy I knew, wear no armor, play a rogue who gets double damage backstabs and just fucking go nuts =p Experience gained = hours played, but the best experience is your own learning. Dishing out a wicked 3-hit combo on someone’s leg, shoulder and waist despite them trying to guard is an awesome feeling.

The best fights were always shield warrior vs shield warrior duels though, because it takes a lot of skill and/or power to score a lot of hits. You might say it’s foam-and-PVC weapons so it can’t be that hard, but there are limits to the dimensions of your weapons to keep realism. If you made a Final Fantasy sword because you wanna be some kind of anime badass, you are required to swing that shit really slowly until you gain a ton of levels and can legitimately swing that like some kind of anime badass. The only thing Warriors would gain is extra HP and every 10 levels you needed to find someone of a higher rank than you and win a duel vs them to graduate to the next rank, which comes with an in-game strength modifier. You start at 1x, go to 2x, then 4x, etc. to simulate accruing power. The most experienced guys had several thousand hours played and were at 4x, so it’s not like people got OP, it was always focused on personal skill.

This on the other hand, like I said, seems to devolve to a shoving match and the combat probably only happens because it’s a lot more fun than tackling someone and these guys are in it for the fun, not the win. If he wasn’t trying to make it the next competitive sport, I would be on board, since there was such a league in my area that I never had the money for. Basically “bring your own dulled swords and armor and have at it”.

• What the fuck is this lol? It looks dangerous. Axes/blunts/polearms are used to cause fatal concussive damage through armor, so i’m guessing the weapons are toned down? The knockdown rule is also weird since you could just easily trip and push a guy (as seen in the vid) - unless, like boxing, tripping is disallowed? Furthermore, having a guy “tank” sword slashes is pretty weird. Either way i sure as hell don’t see this as becoming the next boxing/mma. I’d imagine a sport form of melee/armed combat would be something like Kendo with different weapons with authentic weight distribution.

• It feels like they’re pushing this too hard. The fellow in the video appears to be an absolute tool (he even admits it himself in a forced attempt to sound like a callous “badass”), and it’s… not… going… to be the next competitive sport. Too much money to get started (2K for a suit of Gothic armour from Windlass Steelcrafts) and you get the shit beaten out of you. Doesn’t sound like fun.

They appear to use the weapons as an afterthought.

At least the SCA fights in a realistic and logical manner. And in my experience, the people from the SCA are bearable to be around, unlike that insufferable tool trying to be the spokesperson.

Medieval fighting is always a cool idea, but this is silly. The one redeeming factor, as Event Horizon pointed out, was their use of Kamelot. :)

It looks like a hug fight with weapons. No, it looks like the sidelines of a hockey game.

I’m placing a bet that it will end up like Full Metal Jousting. They tried to make it a thing, but getting creamed in the chest/groin/face by a telephone pole moving at the speed of a galloping horse just isn’t fun.

• SCA… Bearable? laughable. Those people are in a whole different reality of ducktape seriousness. While you may bash the attitudes of this, watch some of the Russian videos. They are not actually trying to kill each other but then next best thing is to put your opponent to the ground. In the SCA is is some BS honor system, where with this, there is real physical demands and team strategies, no stupid leveling up or hit point bs.

I have worn armor and have been hit, even jousted once and it scared the living shit out of me on the back of a Belgian racing towards another guy on a horse with a few thousand pounds per square inch on the end of a blunted break-a-way lance at about 20+mph was enough for me to realize that was about as far as I wanted to go. Being hit with a sword in armor is not a nice thing, it hurts, it is loud, hot, uncomfortable and down right dangerous. I have been ran through my right forearm while fencing after a tip broke and as I said before almost lost my index finger to a Claymore.

All that aside, it was thrilling to play with live steel even if it was dulled. I could see how this would be very appealing of a sport but sadly there is not one close, way out of shape and just too old to be that brutal again.

• I guess the fellow’s attitude is irksome to me, that’s all.

I’ve done melee before. We used foam+PVC weapons, but it was under no circumstances LARPing. If you were hit, you were out, etc., no “hit points” or “abilities”. I had a teacher in middle school who did full-impact fighting in the SCA, and he would occasionally bring in his armour and (blunted) swords and he always had a huge bruise to show off. The foam weapons certainly stung like hell if you got hit right :o It was fun, if you had the right people doing it.

I’m not sure I could swing live steel at someone who wasn’t going to murder me. :?

I’ve always been curious about those lances. Did they use spaghetti as is rumored? Or was it more of a “filed-half-way-through” thing? How was the impact?

• @Carolean:

I guess the fellow’s attitude is irksome to me, that’s all.

I’ve done melee before. We used foam+PVC weapons, but it was under no circumstances LARPing. If you were hit, you were out, etc., no “hit points” or “abilities”. I had a teacher in middle school who did full-impact fighting in the SCA, and he would occasionally bring in his armour and (blunted) swords and he always had a huge bruise to show off. The foam weapons certainly stung like hell if you got hit right :o It was fun, if you had the right people doing it.

I’m not sure I could swing live steel at someone who wasn’t going to murder me. :?

I’ve always been curious about those lances. Did they use spaghetti as is rumored? Or was it more of a “filed-half-way-through” thing? How was the impact?

I have done the foam/pvc too and bruised a friends ribs so bad it, his whole side was black and blue for a week.

The lances we used have a 1" soft wood dowel rod about 1 foot long that is painted to match the lance that is sliped into a sleve that was covered by a flag. But many jouster companies use a ball on the end or just simply blunted. The ones that we used still allowed for full impact but with the break-a-way tips meant that the entire lance was spared from breaking, usually. This was done so that they could be reused and last longer. You just don’t go to home depot to buy a lance.

• The noise from being whomped on the head while wearing a helmet is downright painful, as well.

That perfect reverberating “DING” just hurts your ears and has a terrible concussive effect.

I’ve read of people completely wigging out while wearing a “hot suit”, for biohazards and the like. They remove their helmets, scream in their suits, and try to claw them off of their bodies, sometimes even in a hot zone.

I’d imagine the same could happen to someone unaccustomed to wearing armour too. Especially since it usually takes two people to get in/out. I was watching a “making of” video the other day, and the actors in Event Horizon took 45 minutes to get into their spacesuits and could only film for about 15 after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqoh0okQ6Ho Weapons that Made Britain: Armour. The guy can spend about 5 minutes or something in full plate, fighting, before it becomes too much.

Hell, I get an increased heart rate when I can’t get my neoprene waders off.

• Our shows were about a half hour to 45 mins standing and fighting. Not the whole time but yeah it got hot, loud and painful at times. For full armor, you cannot get in and out of it by yourself very easily, let alone get on a draft horse either. The armor is around 75+ lbs and has limited range of motion, and not a whole lot of padding. AKA why I always argued against throwing weapons for armored Knights.

• Some footage of my home country ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJWUvHwayM4

• @Vesanus:

Some footage of my home country ;)

Hey, a fellow Pole. Despite my screen name, I’m mostly Polish.

I’d be syncing Sabaton: Forty to One to that fight.

“Soldiers of Poland, second to none!”

• @Carolean:

@Vesanus:

You, my friend, have an excellent taste in music.

• @Event:

@Carolean:

@Vesanus:

You, my friend, have an excellent taste in music.

And you have excellent tastes in horror movies.

• I fight a very similar sport: all metal weapons, headshots allowed (no face hits).

However we fight until someone delivers a blow to the head or body, then they’re dead (a single limb strike disables that limb, two limb shots is death). It’s a lot more interesting than this silly “fight till you fall to the ground” rule. It becomes far more about who’s bigger and heavier, most of the technique is tripping. They’re sword skills aren’t that good.