Some new ideas from some old park rangeR.

• Bolded for you lazy readers.

This game was in need of some balance, but as it stands, the patch(es) didn’t resolve the issues that it set out to fix. From my standpoint, it seems to of squished some of the skill level and experience required before the patch and mushed it down toward the new, unskilled populace, making the game a tad more newb/user friendly – but at what cost? There’s probably tons of posts bashing the patch, so I just wanna add some suggestions that might make things a little more suitable.

An allies’ hit box should interrupt a swing, similar to a shield. It’s becoming more common for the random rank 10 to come barreling through my 2v1, killing all members associated. Precision should be rewarded, blind LMB’s should be penalized. On top of that, “crowd bashing” tactics are actually effective because of the 50% team damage thing, which is absurd.

It seems every single newb is an archer, wanna know why? Because it takes no skill to kill and it’s a system they’re more accustom to. There’s no melee learning curve. A newb can pick up a bow and 1 shot a rank 40 player just as easy as a rank 1 player. I’m not saying archery doesn’t take skill, it most defiantly does. The hardest class to master I’d say. It takes skill to be a good archer, but it doesn’t take a good archer to ruin a good fight.

Right now about ½ of the players on any given server will be archers. This is not how chivalry was meant to be played. An Archer Limit should be an expectation, not an exception. Because of this nub archer influx, it’s mostly potshots you’re dealing with, not the skilled sniper. The melee system in chivalry is an in-depth mind game of skill and strategy, which is totally knocked out of the air by one random potshot. They can mindlessly drop people by pointing and clicking- no interaction, no exchanging of skills. Options are limited for the melee: don’t be in that situation (hide), use a shield (tactics), or just run around like a damn lunatic and pray, but all of these defenses boil down to one factor - luck. Oh, wanna shoot into engaged teammates? SURE! Why not? If I miss it’s only 1/2 team damage and they won’t even know who shot them! Win win for a noob. All just random chance.

Only extremely skilled archers should be a threat in melee. I can understand the need for archers, it makes the player think more tactically and base their actions around the team rather than just themselves. But right now, archers can 1v1 just as well (better in some cases) as anyone else. If a player can kill you from 100 yards away, with unlimited tries and no threat to themselves, then melee should at least be a challenge!…Luckily there are some creative ways to fix this.

The newly implemented “stutter when parried” should only effect archers. Or at least a reduced variable for melee classes.

Friendly archer shots should interrupt. I think they actually did at some point.

A 2h strike above the waist to an archer should insta-kill.

If an archer is below half stamina - 2 handers daze on parry. If below 1/3 stam - 1h’s daze. This will force archers to be more aware of their stam and rely more on squirreliness rather than deflecting a maul outta the air with some daggers.

Archers should never daze another class.

The daze duration on classes other than archer should be reduced. I suggest the old daze times, but maybe remove the option to counter-attack when low/no stam. Why am I punished so severely for fighting outnumbered? Even in a ‘fair’ 2v1, a Van or Maa frequently doesn’t have enough stam and is forced to bounce out (or face the certain lame parry-daze-death chain.) Lately I have found myself actually simply face checking some hits just to avoid being dazed, which is just absurd and not the way the game should be played…

Feints, while an issue, were not the issue…The issue was the lack of defense against them. While the feint time restriction window was a good idea, it didn’t really play out the way we needed it to. Feinting just seems even more unpredictable and uncontrollable now, even to the feinter. It feels much too restricted, feinting needs to feel fluid. I say reduce all the new feint windows by half, but more importantly add an optional window to increase parry duration by a small amount. Kind of like how kick works now, tap to insta parry, hold to extend parry. Parrying is hard and should be rewarded as such, while repeatedly mashing attack is easy and should be easy to fend off.

Reduce the nerf to alt attacks. This is one of the huge reasons it feels like newbs have more power, our alt attacks where taken away. They take much to long now. Before they were a fun element to fights, I never saw an issue with them…

It seems like there is a lag time to duck. Maybe that window should be reduced a little. There are to many restrictions on duck; if i wanna duck, i should be able to. Wayyy to clunky.

Sprint to duck feels clunky and unnatural, it needs to be quick and fluid.

I agree with adding a slight increase to the time it takes to perform a combo, but the increase seems too harsh, reducing the amount would probably play out better.

I would like to see shields a tad less viable, but more fun to use. With a nerf to archery, shields would see a little less use, but adding the ability for them to shatter along with being able to block melee attacks while on the back, would be fun to see.

I know it’s in the works but it still needs to be said. We need some type of Message of the Day so server operators can customize their server. Right now customization is completely fucking pointless without a way of explain the rules to the players…

The votekick system is absurd. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve been unjustly kicked from a server. First thing first, when you vote, the alert should go away. Second, the alert should show BOTH players team damage, idle time, ping and rank. Third, when the vote ends, i say 70% threshold, then either the accuser or the accused gets kicked, no questions asked. Right now i have “Vote No” bound to sprint - fix this shit.

This is just the few things I’ve noticed after coming back after a few months break. It’s still the best game on the market, but it could be soooo much better. But keep up the work.

p.s. this community seems to of fall’n to shit basket status x12, so I doubt I’ll even check responses to this post, nor would I care what 94% of you would have to say anyway at this rate. Peace.

EDITS:

Archers should be divided into “long range” or “limited range.” Long range archers could carry bows/xbows, but would have no melee options expect for fists. Limited range archers could carry extra throwing knifes/axes(6+) and melee weapons such as they have currently(+staff.) Currently Archers have 150% back damage, which would support this idea of the “rouge” archer. This would make long range archers more of a tactical resource, that the melees must protect if they want wish for the added range benefits. Archers shouldn’t be a dueling class…

Take out Javelins:I cannot imagine who’s idea it was to give archers an extremely fast and deceptive melee capability, 1 shot range capability, the fastest character speed, 150% back damage, PLUS a shield - all at the same time…

Parry should be much more responsive, the punishment for a missed parry (recovery time) is too harsh. This unrealistic and unsatisfying recovery time + the absurd mouse movement cap while parrying makes me sick. I would like to see how the game w/ only attack mouse movement caps.

Voicechat:
    +Instead of having each voice actor assigned to a specific class/team, we should be able to pick which actor we want to represent us, which would apply to every class you play…just an easy way to add more customization.
    ++If it’s not too resource consuming; make voice acting server side. Right now if you push “help”, you will most likely not hear the same ‘help’ as everyone else, which is disappointing when you say the prefect emote, but know no one else heard the same…
    +++Get those same actors back into the recording studio and make more gold.

• I thought park ranger had a different account.

answer to all your problems, join promod.

650 members and counting

• @gregcau:

I thought park ranger had a different account.

650 members and counting

About 3 quarters of what he wants changed isn’t in the promod.

And the patch didn’t set out to fix really anything of what the OP said. Except alt attacks and fients.

Really the game should be challenging for all players. Not just the noobs.

• @gregcau:

We’re all hackers with multiple accounts, gotta cover our bases ya know

@gregcau:

Answer to all my problems but population, we needa get promod servers on the normal browser asap.

• no to all of that. lol. that would be absolutely horrible. no Archer would ever, EVER change weapon. and that’s the worst.

you want Archers to be viable in melee, not one on one, but in groups. or else they will never change weapon, so they’ll do what? shoot you (their allies, i mean) in the back, because they have no other options but shooting.
    it would also obliterate the Javeliner.

all you need to do is make quick kick unflinchable by puny weapons. that solves face-hugging. that with a nerf to ranged weapons, and a more needed nerf to Vanguards, don’t overdo it this time, problem solved, get back to bughunting.

• @Deadpan:

no to all of that. lol. that would be absolutely horrible. no Archer would ever, EVER change weapon. and that’s the worst.

you want Archers to be viable in melee, not one on one, but in groups. or else they will never change weapon, so they’ll do what? shoot you (their allies, i mean) in the back, because they have no other options but shooting.
    it would also obliterate the Javeliner.

all you need to do is make quick kick unflinchable by puny weapons. that solves face-hugging. that with a nerf to ranged weapons, and a more needed nerf to Vanguards, don’t overdo it this time, problem solved, get back to bughunting.

I occasionally go on archer killing sprees.

The way to fight multiple targets as archer is to make all your fights 1v1. Position yourself so its like that. 4v1 as archer its hard to do that though.

With your team chucked in the fray you stay on the outskirts of the fight. And you leap in when the opportunity arises. This is when your backstab bonus comes in handy. Don’t get into the think I it or you might get mullered by your own team.

Team mates seem to be more careless around friendly archers in melee. Even though are hers are easy to kill and get are more likely to lose 10 points.

If you are shooting into a group you also need to look at what all the other players in that group are doing to. Not just your target. You are far more likely to hit an enemy than a friendly that way. Some people are quite good at it too. But that requires good aim as well. Lots of experience in shooting before you start trying that. And even then in not that great at shooting into groups. That’s because I just suck at aiming. And all the speed changes have put me off son I pretty much have to learn hit to shoot again.

• @gregcau:

650 members and counting

Kinda boring to just duel rank 50’s. And never face people who you can easily beat.

• @-Thylacine-:

@gregcau:

650 members and counting

Kinda boring to just duel rank 50’s. And never face people who you can easily beat.

Yeah I agree.

At least with live you get a mixture of people.

• @-Thylacine-:

Are you talking in general for new players or your own experience? You are definitely skilled at the game, I would say more so than me. So not sure why you’d have a problem fighting the Rank 50+ players.

I quite enjoy playing against higher skilled opponents, if I play against weaker opponents I seldom see myself get better. When I get my face smashed in, I work out what happened and how I can improve on it.

How did you improve your play style? Surely you can’t be milking all day!

• @Teocyn:

@-Thylacine-:

Are you talking in general for new players or your own experience? You are definitely skilled at the game, I would say more so than me. So not sure why you’d have a problem fighting the Rank 50+ players.

I quite enjoy playing against higher skilled opponents, if I play against weaker opponents I seldom see myself get better. When I get my face smashed in, I work out what happened and how I can improve on it.

How did you improve your play style? Surely you can’t be milking all day!

There’s hardly any variety in the promod. Everybody plays very similar to each other.

• @lemonater47:

There’s hardly any variety in the promod. Everybody plays very similar to each other.

Really? I found the opposite, I see play styles almost like a fingerprint personally. The way players move and react to situations are really varied in my experience.

• Dueling experienced players if fun but gets a little old, a populated TO promod server would be awesome, regardless of avg rank. The only way to do that is add it to normal browsers some how. anyway…

Back to my archers fucking ruin this game topic:

Archers should be divided into range or rogue melee, right now archers get range and 150% back damage. It should be split into two options; long range bows/xbows, with no melee options but fists, or melee with extra (6+) throwing knifes or maybe throwing stars or something along those lines. They would probably need added weapons for the melee rogue; or could just use staves and daggers. This would make long range archers a more tactical resource that the melees must protect if they want the added range benefit. Archers shouldn’t be a dueling class…