Chase mechanic needs rework

• I know there has been a lot of small talk about this issue in many other threads where small points and objections have been brought up.

The current state of the chase mechanic is horrendous for Knight, while rewarding the lighter classes (Archers/MaA) and the Vanguard who doesn’t even need the chase mechanic most of the time due to his sprint changes.

This thread is for discussing how we can change the chase mechanic so it benefits all the classes, while trying to keep it fair all round. Even if this means making chase more beneficial for the cumbersome Knight and reducing its effectiveness for the lighter classes who are already naturally fast.

As it currently is, a sprinting MaA or Archer can easily keep out of range of a chasing Knight. Even if the Knight has a 100% dead centred aim on the MaA/Archers back he will still not be able to catch that class if the lighter class doesn’t stop sprinting.

What I propose is this:

We either increase the arc radius where chase gets activated. This means instead of this small 90 degree arc which is directly behind the player, it gets increased so even if they are slightly moving from side to side, then the chase can still take effect. In rebuttal to this, you might say that the chase would be activated when you approach a player from the side which you might say is wrong. I disagree however, as this simulates the player homing in and rushing in from the opponents blind spot so they can take advantage quicker of their lack of attention to their surroundings. Just like in real life, if you approach someone from their peripherals, then you would feel the inclination to accelerate and close the distance.

Or

We simply make it so whichever the class you are chasing, you get a chase speed which is 2-5% more than the classes max movement sprint speed. This will allow Knights to catch up to every class running away from him, while still keeping the speed of the lighter classes relatively the same. Example of this:

Knight chasing Archer: Knight gets 2-5% more movement speed than an Archers max movement speed.

MaA/Archer chasing Knight: MaA/Archer gets 2-5% more movement speed than a Knights max movement speed

While this might mean that a lighter class will actually be going slower than their normal max movement speed if they were to chase a Knight, I would simply say that you shouldn’t need to chase down a Knight as a lighter class so the sudden movement speed change will barely effect the outcome or the abilities of the lighter class.

I am of the opinion that every class should be able to chase down any other class, including the Knight.**

• I’ve been playing knight lately, and I’ve noticed it’s a huge problem. You end up spending a minute running them down and then get stuck on their “bubble”. Super irritating.

I like the 2-5% idea! Maybe a bit of a higher value, but that’s a great idea!

• @DokB:

The current state of the chase mechanic is horrendous for Knight

Knight was on the table to get a movement nerf anyways, so this fix served pretty nicely.

@DokB:

As it currently is, a sprinting MaA or Archer can easily keep out of range of a chasing Knight.

This however shouldn’t be possible. The MAA’s max sprint speed was kept as it was pre-patch for the this very reason.

Knights with proper chase speed boost should be perfectly capable of catching up to MAAs and Archers. If this isn’t true then it’s a bug.

• Last night I was playing a little bit of Knight and I found that there was no way in hell of catching up with a light class.

It must have been that the chase effect wasn’t activating because my crosshair wasn’t lined up perfectly but still, if its requiring you to have near perfect accuracy and be at a perfect angle to their back then surely it should be more forgiving.

If this is the case, then I’d say increase the radius on the players back for when chase activates for the person pursuing.

• @DokB:

It must have been that the chase effect wasn’t activating because my crosshair wasn’t lined up perfectly but still, if its requiring you to have near perfect accuracy and be at a perfect angle to their back then surely it should be more forgiving.

That was always the case though. Only changes to the Chase mechanic were:

-No longer activates when enemy isn’t running away from you(looking straight at you)
    -Activates from farther away

If MAA and Archer’s top sprint speed was increased than yeah again that’s a bug.

• @BB:

@DokB:

That was always the case though. Only changes to the Chase mechanic were:

-No longer activates when enemy isn’t running away from you(looking straight at you)
    -Activates from farther away

If MAA and Archer’s top sprint speed was increased than yeah again that’s a bug.

Yes but you can tell that they’ve made it an incredibly small area on the persons model which you have to have your crosshair centred on. Regardless I feel that the Knight still cannot catch up to the light classes. I’ve been trying my hand at this video evidence business but I’m having real trouble with recording stuff at the moment and my 8 year old set up doesn’t like me at all and BSOD’s at random intervals.

I’ll try to get something more concrete.

• @BB:

-Activates from farther away.

I believe there was an unlogged change as well. I don’t know why (possibly to make sure the person you are chasing is actually running from you), but there’s a 2 second timer in live before the chase boosts activates. This is plenty of time for a lighter class to actually get out of range before it activates I think.

In beta it appears to be lowered to 1 second, so maybe it will improve next patch.

• Your curser has to be pointing at their backs and it has to be red. Then the chase mechanic is initiated.

I can catch up with any enemy, with any class fine.

Chase mechanic is now an actual chase mechanic. Before it was just a speed boost in fights.

• @lemonater47:

Your curser has to be pointing at their backs and it has to be red. Then the chase mechanic is initiated.

Chase mechanic is now an actual chase mechanic. Before it was just a speed boost in fights.

That was then when just by looking at the enemy you got a speed boost. Now, you have to be directly behind them. Slightly off to their side? Too bad. Knight class? Enjoy never catching an Archer or a MaA who only have to step off to their side slightly to lose any pursuers.

I’m not saying that we go back to speed boosts just by keeping the enemy head on in your crosshairs. Knights can’t catch anyone except other Knights, coupled with the all round sprint disruption when parried which took away from most of the classes (I would go as far to say it effected the Knight the most because he relied the most on keeping agile if he didn’t want to get out manoeuvred).

• As a Knight I know chase is very hard now. I have chased archers and Vanguards but you have to chase them a fair distance across the map to catch up to them and have to be very exact with you mouse to keep the dot red.

Most of the time I actually view it as a speed boost because it’s too hard to actually catch someone unless they stop. For example I was attacking in Citadel, trying to get to the doors and a Vanguard that was near the spawn turned and ran. I was able to use the chase mechanic as a speed boost to get to the doors quicker but I had to chase him from the spawn to almost all the way to the top of the stairs to catch him. However I probably saved quite a few seconds.

Other times I’ve tried to chase archers and they get back to their allies too quickly to make it worth the time to get them.

• Chasing an Archer or MAA who is simply running the other way and zigzagging is a headache. You can’t even try to cut them off, because as soon as you look away, you lose all your built-up extra speed.

The change I’d like, following on that, is that you retain your speed boost for a short time after looking away AND attacking, so that those times where you start attacking, get stuck on their ass-bubble and stop sprinting, miss because of it, then lose all your chase speed because you swung and missed would be a thing of the past. Retaining it after you look away for several seconds means you can cut a corner or cut through a building briefly to catch up to them and not revert down to your regular speed.

I mean, just making it only activate when someone is turned away fixes any issues I’d see with making it easier to chase, since if they are looking away, you’re not in combat. All you’d be doing with these changes is make it less frustrating to chase down that little bitch Archer or MAA who only runs at the end of every LTS round.

• @Daiyuki:

Chasing an Archer or MAA who is simply running the other way and zigzagging is a headache.

I don’t know what you guys are saying was changed but if the patch notes are to be believed nothing related to what you’re describing would be any different in pre-patch.

• @BB:

@Daiyuki:

Chasing an Archer or MAA who is simply running the other way and zigzagging is a headache.

I don’t know what you guys are saying was changed but if the patch notes are to be believed nothing related to what you’re describing would be any different in pre-patch.

I never said anything was changed o.0 It’s just always been a pain in the ass and moreso because of the bubble, which I guess is the only change I mentioned.

Improving the chase mechanic to make it easier to close in now that it doesn’t work face-to-face just makes sense to me.

• @Daiyuki:

Improving the chase mechanic to make it easier to close in now that it doesn’t work face-to-face just makes sense to me.

Yeah that would definitely be really nice.

Bubble getting popped too would also be lovely.

• @DokB:

@lemonater47:

Your curser has to be pointing at their backs and it has to be red. Then the chase mechanic is initiated.

That was then when just by looking at the enemy you got a speed boost. Now, you have to be directly behind them. Slightly off to their side? Too bad. Knight class? Enjoy never catching an Archer or a MaA who only have to step off to their side slightly to lose any pursuers.

I’m not saying that we go back to speed boosts just by keeping the enemy head on in your crosshairs. Knights can’t catch anyone except other Knights, coupled with the all round sprint disruption when parried which took away from most of the classes (I would go as far to say it effected the Knight the most because he relied the most on keeping agile if he didn’t want to get out manoeuvred).

Its quite a big radius.

How hard is it for you to keep a dot on the back of another player?

• so…we need a massive magical speed boost triggered by running after someone? a slow knight in heavy armor, catching up lightly armored skirmishers by some magical incantation?

yes, i also think that MaA should get a health bonus when they face enemies. because as it is now, it is not possible for MaA to take more hits than heavy classes, so they should get slightly more when they face them.

…isn’t it a knights purpose to be the heavy class? lots of health, good power, but slow?

knights also can’t outreach archer, so i think their swords need more reach.

• @Deadpan:

so…we need a massive magical speed boost triggered by running after someone? a slow knight in heavy armor, catching up lightly armored skirmishers by some magical incantation?

It would make much more sense if TB just decided to add the Witch class already. I mean it’s been in development since forever and would explain so many things happening in this game.

• @Deadpan:

so…we need a massive magical speed boost triggered by running after someone? a slow knight in heavy armor, catching up lightly armored skirmishers by some magical incantation?

yes, i also think that MaA should get a health bonus when they face enemies. because as it is now, it is not possible for MaA to take more hits than heavy classes, so they should get slightly more when they face them.

…isn’t it a knights purpose to be the heavy class? lots of health, good power, but slow?

knights also can’t outreach archer, so i think their swords need more reach.

The chase mechanic is mostly so one class cannot endlessly kite another. Unfortunately, as it stands, you can pretty much always do that vs. a knight. Just run away, zig zag a bit, and rely on the bubble, and it is almost always possible to simply outrun them for the entire length of the map.

• @Dubjay:

[image:2k6sr25p]http://i.imgflip.com/2fhp6.jpg[/image:2k6sr25p]

Oh boy. It was my favourite activity to shoot someone then run back a few meters and shoot them again as archer.