Idea for Archers

• A drawn back bow will slowly degenerate stamina over time. For the standard longbow, the stamina drain is the equivalent of the current amount of time you’re allowed to hold back a bow. For the Warbow, it’s a little more stamina drain per second, and for the shortbow, it’s very little stamina drained while holding the bow in drawn position.

• This sounds pretty awesome actually. It should be enough so that they can only fire two shots of a warbow before they’re out and have to idle/walk to recover. Firing in close quarters would come at a risk because of how fast they drain stamina when parrying heavier weapons. This would give more incentives for crossbows, so we could go back to reverting their arrow speeds and making them not so OP again.

This is definitely something worth thinking more about.

• Realism is always FTW. I like the idea.

• Whoa… One of the few ideas for archers that actually makes sense. I mean, heaps of other games have it.

• The more I think about it the more I love this idea. If the warbow drains all stamina in 2 shots, then archers would have to land both shots on an approaching target to kill them (unless they can oneshot the enemy). If they land one and miss one, then they have to make the conscious decision of walking backwards to recover stamina and fight, or run, as the enemy approaches. If they fire just one and the enemy is already too close, they still have the decision of fighting with half stamina or running. Either way, I think this sounds great.

• I’m all for this idea.

• @SOC:

The more I think about it the more I love this idea. If the warbow drains all stamina in 2 shots, then archers would have to land both shots on an approaching target to kill them (unless they can oneshot the enemy). If they land one and miss one, then they have to make the conscious decision of walking backwards to recover stamina and fight, or run, as the enemy approaches. If they fire just one and the enemy is already too close, they still have the decision of fighting with half stamina or running. Either way, I think this sounds great.

Agreed. It forces archers who use the Warbow to be more careful near melee combat (shortbow users should be able to stay relatively high on stamina if they’re taking pot shots and not taking forever to aim) and makes other ranged weapons in-line with bows since now you can choose between stamina-using bows or the long reload times of crossbows. Javelins also bridge the gap between ranged and melee, and while I feel a good user can be a little OP, that’s for a different topic.

• it’s not a good idea….now if you want to shoot an enemy running at you, if he doesn’t die of it, you won’t have any stamina to fight him, stagger, then die…booooring

• ever seen an archer not being able to shoot 2 arrows before being exausted? no? cause that just doesn’t make sense -_-

• @Mgqc:

it’s not a good idea….now if you want to shoot an enemy running at you, if he doesn’t die of it, you won’t have any stamina to fight him, stagger, then die…booooring

I wouldn’t make it as bad as only being able to shoot 2 arrows. But an archer should be punished for missing his shots. I mean, he misses all of his shots and he can now instantly swap out to his super fast secondaries in the blink of an eye, at any interval and he then enters the melee with full stamina while I might have lost half of my own due to sprinting like a mad man towards the archer?

The archer is the only class to have that ranged power, why shouldn’t they suffer in melee with a mechanic like this, I think it’s perfect. Punish though archers for plinking at me from 10 years away and missing.

• DokB is totally, totally right here.

• @Mgqc:

ever seen an archer not being able to shoot 2 arrows before being exausted? no? cause that just doesn’t make sense -_-

You try drawing a 130# Welsh longbow and see if you’re tired after that.

There’s no way a normal human being could keep up a fast and constant fire rate with one of those monsters. I’ve tried.

If you shoot that heavy of a bow too many times, you’ll have a ripped trapezius or worse. :|

• To add to this idea.

For stamina drain on crossbow use: Why not have a sudden stamina drain whenever you reload the crossbows? The crossbow stamina drain would represent the physical strain required to pull back on the bow mechanism or the physical strain on having to crank and wind the heavy mechanism on the Heavy Crossbow.

Of course it would be different for each of the crossbows, the Light Crossbow wouldn’t take much stamina to reload. The normal crossbow would take a bit of stamina to pull back and the Heavy Crossbow would take the most?

• @Carolean:

@Mgqc:

ever seen an archer not being able to shoot 2 arrows before being exausted? no? cause that just doesn’t make sense -_-

You try drawing a 130# Welsh longbow and see if you’re tired after that.

There’s no way a normal human being could keep up a fast and constant fire rate with one of those monsters. I’ve tried.

If you shoot that heavy of a bow too many times, you’ll have a ripped trapezius or worse. :|

You get used to it. And if you have the right technique you can keep fire for ages. Lock your arms and use your body. Push the bow away from you instead of pulling the string back.

Well the animation the archers is game have from 3rd person is the wrong technique.

Though keeping a bow pulled does get tiring. It can also cause your muscles to start shaking.

• What if landing a shot (doing damage, not hitting a shield) refunded a small portion of stamina back? I hate that idea but I can hear all the archers whining already and we’d probably have to come up with some crappy compromise for this.

• No they can just wait like the rest of us for their stamina to regen. If they want to keep up a continuous volley of fire then fine by me as long as their stamina gets depleted and doesn’t have a chance to regen. It should only take a second or two of standing still to regen the stamina from a single shot anyway, this time can be used to suss out where the next target is or to adjust your position.

• @DokB:

No they can just wait like the rest of us for their stamina to regen. If they want to keep up a continuous volley of fire then fine by me as long as their stamina gets depleted and doesn’t have a chance to regen. It should only take a second or two of standing still to regen the stamina from a single shot anyway, this time can be used to suss out where the next target is or to adjust your position.

I’d figure stamina would not start depleting until the bow was fully drawn (stamina would not regen while bow is drawing back) this way, if the archer wants, he or she can “panic fire” until the enemy is too close and then switch to melee, or take quick, unaimed shots in between stamina regen to take down still-standing opponents

• @Event:

@DokB:

No they can just wait like the rest of us for their stamina to regen. If they want to keep up a continuous volley of fire then fine by me as long as their stamina gets depleted and doesn’t have a chance to regen. It should only take a second or two of standing still to regen the stamina from a single shot anyway, this time can be used to suss out where the next target is or to adjust your position.

I’d figure stamina would not start depleting until the bow was fully drawn (stamina would not regen while bow is drawing back) this way, if the archer wants, he or she can “panic fire” until the enemy is too close and then switch to melee, or take quick, unaimed shots in between stamina regen to take down still-standing opponents

That’s what I meant (I think? :P). If you want to keep up a continuous rate of fire then you could notch and draw the next arrow immediately after loosing the first arrow which would again lower your stamina the longer you held it. If you wait two seconds in between drawing the next arrow (hence a now slower rate of fire) then this would mean that the archer regens the stamina from their first shot.

• This needs moar attention!

• @Event:

A drawn back bow will slowly degenerate stamina over time. For the standard longbow, the stamina drain is the equivalent of the current amount of time you’re allowed to hold back a bow. For the Warbow, it’s a little more stamina drain per second, and for the shortbow, it’s very little stamina drained while holding the bow in drawn position.

I love it!

Not only is it realistic, it also helps new players to judge how long they have time to aim. Really pissed me off that the bow was just lowered without any warning when I was new.

To not just nerf bows maybe stam drain on charging the sling, fixed amount per shot on javelin.

For light and medium crossbow fixed amount per reload makes sense, not so for heavy cause of the wrench. Maybe increase reload time on heavy?

Oh, and some stam cost for throwing weapons to balance it out.