What is your definition of exploit in video games?

• I have my own views when it comes to exploit in video games, and it’s painfully obvious that others have their own. Since much of the criticism of my first post was basically about what my definition of exploit is.

So I have to ask, guys whats your view or definition of exploit? and how does that view affect what you identify as “exploit” in Chivalry? In another words: With your own definition of exploit what are some things in Chivalry that you can say “That’s an exploit”

• By unfair means, a method which someone uses to obtain an unintended effect.

Nothing in Chiv at the moment really comes close to an “exploit” IMO.

• verb
    Pronunciation: /?k?spl??t, ?k-/
    [with object]

1. Make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource):500 companies sprang up to exploit this new technology

2. Make use of (a situation) in a way considered unfair or underhand:the company was exploiting a legal loophole
    benefit unfairly from the work of (someone), typically by overworking or underpaying them:women are exploited in the workplace

noun
    Pronunciation: /??kspl??t/

A bold or daring feat:
    Despite a series of colourful exploits, his agents obtained little intelligence of value

The very definition of exploit is both positive and negative. This is a big reason why you will never have agreement amongst a large number of people.

Some exploits are technical to perform and allow players to execute a larger range of strategies. The ultimate example of an exploit that leads to excellent gameplay is the Rocket Jump.

Other exploits are clearly game-breaking. Accessing the sky box where you can shoot down into the world, but the world cannot shoot up into you. Is clearly no good. There is a spot in Moore where an archer can get up onto the rocks and be safe from melee attackers. This is clearly a mistake.

Overhead look-downs greatly accelerate an attack, however they are technical to perform (not necessarily hard, neither is a rocket-jump if you practice it a little) this, in my mind, puts them on the level of a rocket-jump or bunny-hoping and therefor OK. They are clearly not on the same level as a skybox walk for instance.

Ducks while looking down greatly reduce your height over a simple duck, again a technical maneuver, not necessarily hard although used incorrectly and it gets you killed. Again an acceptable exploit.

Basically all in all, there is very few exploits in this game on the level of the Skybox walk.

If people are upset by bending a game mechanic to perform on a level similar to a rocket-jump they really shouldn’t be playing a competitive game, as all competitive players will find mechanic bending techniques such as this and learn to apply them well.
    Whilst very few competitive players will jump up into a skybox.

• Something a Player does that is not an intended feature of the game and gives him an advantage.

• Purposefully performing ghost and phantom swings would be the example of an exploit. Combo feint to parry was not an exploit. Abusing how good archers and MaAs are right now is not an exploit. Increasing your FPS to improve arrow speed would be an exploit.

• @SOC:

Purposefully performing ghost and phantom swings would be the example of an exploit. Combo feint to parry was not an exploit. Abusing how good archers and MaAs are right now is not an exploit. Increasing your FPS to improve arrow speed would be an exploit.

Combo feint parry got perfected. Beforehand yor weapon teleported to parry position.

Combo feint attack was an exploit. But that got taken out a while ago. And many people confused it with speed hacking.

• @SOC:

Abusing how good archers and MaAs are right now is not an exploit.

Why must you always bring this up? No one in their right mind would ever correlate playing a certain class to exploiting.

• @lemonater47:

@SOC:

Purposefully performing ghost and phantom swings would be the example of an exploit. Combo feint to parry was not an exploit. Abusing how good archers and MaAs are right now is not an exploit. Increasing your FPS to improve arrow speed would be an exploit.

Combo feint parry got perfected. Beforehand yor weapon teleported to parry position.

Combo feint attack was an exploit. But that got taken out a while ago. And many people confused it with speed hacking.

There was a combo-feint-attack? That’s news for me when was this?

• a bug used to make a player play better

• @PaperChops:

@lemonater47:

@SOC:

There was a combo-feint-attack? That’s news for me when was this?

Can’t remember Exactly. Early this year it was fixed. You could do attacks faster than any combo.

• @DokB:

@SOC:

Abusing how good archers and MaAs are right now is not an exploit.

Why must you always bring this up? No one in their right mind would ever correlate playing a certain class to exploiting.

Some people do. Usually the same kind of people who thought combo feint to parry was an exploit, too.

• @SOC:

Combo feint to parry was not an exploit.

So, by bypassing the intended time between being able to feint out of an attack to parry, by making that attack a combo to achieve an instantaneous, animation-breaking parry, that’s not an exploit?

My sides.

• I don’t think many people have a problem with the definition.

It’s more that some people seem to think that an exploit is automatically a terrible thing for everyone. In reality exploits can be good or bad. Some leading to game-breaking in-balances and others leading to a depth in design that was never intended by the developers.

• @lemonater47:

Nope, you can still combo feint attack.

Although, it doesn’t work THAT much faster than normal comboing for 80% of weapons, for the Bearded Axe it still works.

• @2maidens1chalice:

So, by bypassing the intended time between being able to feint out of an attack to parry, by making that attack a combo to achieve an instantaneous, animation-breaking parry, that’s not an exploit?

My sides.

It’s funny, because you just described how live works. You can just straight up bypass recovery and parry because recovery isn’t a punished state anymore. So really, what’s the point of recovery now? Oh yeah, there isn’t one.

It’s posts like this that kill me because people don’t understand the same result is being achieved post-patch as pre-patch. You’re simultaneously defending and attacking the same concept between the two versions of the game.

• @2maidens1chalice:

My sides.

Simply doing attack on someone just standing there, and parrying at the last possible second is the same “animation-breaking” thing as you are describing. There’s no difference. You don’t see them parrying, your attack just gets parried.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@2maidens1chalice:

My sides.

Simply doing attack on someone just standing there, and parrying at the last possible second is the same “animation-breaking” thing as you are describing. There’s no difference. You don’t see them parrying, your attack just gets parried.

But they aren’t escaping punishment. That aren’t finishing up their swing. They didn’t make a mistake.

• @2maidens1chalice:

My sides.

Please contain your shitposting to /v/ and /vg/

• In terms of video games in general I’d say figuring out how a game handles certain events and finding exploits with them (look up the Ocarina of Time bottle glitch. In essence it allows you to write items into your inventory by the way that items are handled internally)

For chivalry the main exploits I can think of at the moment are highjump, longjump (both maa exclusive. I’m pretty confident that I understand how longjump works, not 100% sure on highjump) and Spiderman (I’m pretty sure any class can do it, although I only have a general idea of how it works). These mostly are a consequence of how the game handles dodging and ragdolling.

I don’t consider BOH’s, or drags exploits, but clever use of the real time strikes mechanics. There’s a big difference between delaying a strike and jumping up a tree.

• @Kim:

In terms of video games in general I’d say figuring out how a game handles certain events and finding exploits with them (look up the Ocarina of Time bottle glitch. In essence it allows you to write items into your inventory by the way that items are handled internally)

For chivalry the main exploits I can think of at the moment are highjump, longjump (both maa exclusive. I’m pretty confident that I understand how longjump works, not 100% sure on highjump) and Spiderman (I’m pretty sure any class can do it, although I only have a general idea of how it works). These mostly are a consequence of how the game handles dodging and ragdolling.

I don’t consider BOH’s, or drags exploits, but clever use of the real time strikes mechanics. There’s a big difference between delaying a strike and jumping up a tree.

Highjump, longjump and Spider-Man?

Are these the glitches involved with head jumping?