Keep Objective Information on UI or verbally display it

• Heyas,

I found this game in the Steam Summer Sale and i just cant stop playing it. One of the biggest problems i am seeing is that the objective progress information is not clear enough. What i mean is this:

Team Deathmatch Games

When i first played, i joined a TDM server. TDM is pretty straight forward to understand in any game so i clearly knew what i needed to do. The issue was i had no idea what the current status of the teams was. It wasnt until i actually stopped respawning that i realised we were almost dead.

I understand the information is put into the chat box as text, but it simply isn’t visible enough. I also understand that you are potentially going for a minimalist UI design where you try to keep the player screen free from clutter.

So a few suggestions i was thinking of:

1. Display the actual lives remaining on the screen for both teams
    2. Verbally call out the milestones - 10 lives remaining etc…. - so no UI changes but atleast some verbal notification that you are running out of lives.
    3. What Team Fortress do in this regards is really good i believe

I believe this information would make people have more urgency in regards to the value of their life if they knew easily where the team was up to.

Objective Games

Once i discovered objective games, i never left - Its great to see such diversity in what objectives you have to do - i’ve really enjoyed them.

My suggestion for this is again keeping players informed of what the current status is.

1. Display the time remaining to capture the next objective. Whenever the time was winding down in Team Fortress, people would start to band together to do 1 last push into the objective. I dont ever see this type of thing and i believe a big part of it is no one can easily know what the current status is.

2. Verbally highlight the key times, 5 minutes remaining, 1 minute remaing, 30 seconds remaining etc…

The game is awesome, but i just wish the objective status information was just clearer to help promote better team play.

p.s. You cant drag and drop the “verification” when trying to register a user on the forum on a mobile device - should make that part of the code mobile friendly or change the verification when mobile is detected.

• Isn’t all this information explained when you press tab? It’s explained in the tutorial. Also, the chatbox does keep objective information updated as progress is made, such as in TDM every time the resources reach 25%, 50%, 75%, 95% and finally empty. In TO, in big light green font it says every time an objective was completed or made progress, such as intervals on how many peasants are killed, or when the granary is burned, or when a king’s family is killed.

Though I think Citadel could use some updates, too. Like how many shots left are on the wall every time its hit with a ballista, cage % call outs, slave % call outs, and door % call outs.

• @SOC:

Though I think Citadel could use some updates, too. Like how many shots left are on the wall every time its hit with a ballista, cage % call outs, slave % call outs, and door % call outs.

This would actually be amazing. Such an iffy map at best, but this would definitely help it.

• The locks break slowly on the cages.

And they objectives are displayed in green in the chat box. For TDM they get updated.

Tab when your dead is a good way to find out what objectives need doing.

• I understand the information is in TAB and in the chat box - but its just not accessible enough that it will modify peoples behavior in the game.

For instance, in TDM, unless you contantly have TAB opened, you dont know how many lives you have left so dont know at what point you need to be changing play style. If people can easily see a counter or verbally get told that there are no more respawns, i guarantee you that more people will play with the objective in mind. i.e. you will get better games

Same with the Objective based maps. The only thing missing from Objective based maps is the time remaining before the stage is over. If you tell the entire team that their is only 1 minute remaining, you watch the impact it has on how that team plans there “last hurrah”. Its going to encourage better teamplay.

My source on all this? Team Fortress - go play it and see the difference displaying the objective time and verbally reminding the players of the time when it comes to objective maps. The team really bounds together in those final minutes.

I have noticed the subtle music getting louder / faster in the final 2 minutes of the games in Chivalry, but its not enough for the average gamer.

• @PowerFang:

I understand the information is in TAB and in the chat box - but its just not accessible enough that it will modify peoples behavior in the game.

I do not want the screen cluttered with this kind of information.

When you become more experienced you are better at determining the passage of time and a quick tab will provide info. Besides, does it really change your behavior - you should be striving hard for the objective all the time anyway.