Chivalry is actually better now.

• Upon reading the patch notes I was is disgust – almost threw up on my monitor. I took a needed break for playing 30+ hours a week with the intentions of returning and recreating the initial hilarity and fun that Chivalry provided for me. When I read the CU1 Patch 2 notes, my excitement to return was met with huge disappointment. How could the developers change the fundamentals of our great game so late into its lifespan? Im sure most veterans here asked the same question. I raged.

And then I actually played the game. I died a lot. My 5 or 6:1 KDR had reverted to maybe a 1:3. I was playing by the old rules. I could have easily quit and said this game sucks, but I was intrigued to learn it – to see if it really was a bullshit patch that ruined the game.

Ive concluded that it isn’t. Chivalry is actually better now.

I loved the old game, but I love this one, too. It has most of the old mechanics, and more. Stamina is actually a stat that people care about now, which adds a skill element as it needs to be managed. Feints and combo feints still work which makes me happy as a “no skill feinting noob.” Kicks now are versatile and more useful now (and deadly).

After playing for a couple weeks I can say that I steamroll people even more than previously. Im not sure why, exactly. I know that Im less susceptible to feints now, due to lesser emphasis on the “who opens up on their attack first wins mentality” of the previous patch. As a result, my defense and survivability has increased allowing me to get that last hit in on people. I also find that my own feints are even more effective. People apparently stopped feinting at some point, and the community as a whole falls for them just as much as originally. The lack of hit trading into combos and the emphasis on stamina conservation has made the game more about being precise with attacks (player skill) and less about using armor and speed (stats) to win encounters. In general, I feel like the combat is more fluid now and more enjoyable. It’s also more balanced now.

Except for the weapons. Yeah that weapons are all sorts of fucked up:

Spear and Brandi are wtf mode right now. How to you swing a fork faster than a dagger?

Longsword and SoW both were nerfed for some reason, which I don’t understand. They were popular weapons but no more or less viable than any other weapon in the hands of a pro. I could match or beat any pro SoW user with a GM or Maul pre patch. There were some godly SoW players like Bada and others who dominated everyone with the weapon, but their skill came from using the weapon and mastering its timing over many hours. Those players could have used any weapon as effective.

Axe overheads are too slow now. Dane axe is no longer viable which makes me really sad. Unnecessary changes IMO.

A lot of claymore complaints but I cant weigh in as Ive only learned recently of its ridiculousness.

I will state that Im very happy that the bad weapons were made more viable. Flails, Quarter Staff, and Poleaxe seem much better thank god.

Overall though, Im happy. Weapons need some adjustments, but I feel that most of the outrage is simply from those who havent actually taken the time to check out the new changes and play with them for some time. I do disagree with the idea of changing a games fundamentals so late, but the changes were for the better and now the game is being played as it was originally intended to by the developers, which is always a good thing. Give the new patch a chance, it’s not bad!

I apologize for the lack of editing, time to go back to work!

Glenn

• Agree for the most part. I like most of the mechanics changes, but the weapon balance is abysmal to the point of being unfun.

• @Mechapope:

but the weapon balance is abysmal to the point of being unfun.

Its actually better than before but overshadowed by some serious overbuffing.

• @Mechapope:

Agree for the most part. I like most of the mechanics changes, but the weapon balance is abysmal to the point of being unfun.

So far, the only weapons that are really clearly OP right now are Spear and Brandi.

We’ve had over 6 months to figure out what was OP and UP pre-patch, yet people throw out how many overpowered weapons there are within the first week, especially when a lot of clans flat out refuse to scrim.

Basically just condemning something before actually trying it (with enough substance; needs at least a couple months of scrimming).

• After I’ve played the patch for a few hours I’m starting to agree. I really do not miss those dagger speed overheads, overpowered dodge stabs and feint spamming. Hopefully once they fix the vanguard pokey sticks and claymore that are faster than one handers and the ghost swings the patch will actually be fun.

• @Xanith:

claymore that are faster than one handers

It may be a little desynced, but I have yet to see enough people use it and completely dominate with it no contest. We have a sword vanguard that still stands by his greatsword (and still shows greater result).

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Xanith:

claymore that are faster than one handers

It may be a little desynced, but I have yet to see enough people use it and completely dominate with it no contest. We have a sword vanguard that still stands by his greatsword (and still shows greater result).

The claymore is a noob mower. Most experianced players can deal with a claymore user.

• Greatsword is the best VG weapon at the moment. Pre-patch I would say Claymore…

• @Hitom:

Greatsword is the best VG weapon at the moment. Pre-patch I would say Claymore…

I used the claymore tons pre patch but now I’m using the greatsword.

• I like aspects of the patch. Ill leave it at that.

• ive only been playing about 2 mths but game seems better to me now

• @Hitom:

Greatsword is the best VG weapon at the moment. Pre-patch I would say Claymore…

Correction… Best sword.

• I think the reason most clans aren’t scrimming is because its just not as fun anymore

• @Griefa:

Chivalry is actually better now.

um well

It is different. There a number of things I like.

There are a few key things I would change.

But I’m not on the ignored balance council and TBS kind of does their own thing.

Not saying it is bad, they made the game its theirs to do as they wish.

I think I could make a difference but they get distracted by my signature.

Anyway its time to move on from balance, focus on other things and maybe recircle later.

• @Lg:

I think the reason most clans aren’t scrimming is because its just not as fun anymore

And it is all over the new Combo Feint changes.

Time for new blood that actually enjoys the game then.

• nah promod bra

• @NoVaLombardia:

Time for new blood that actually enjoys the game then.

Must. Not. Engage. Idiot.

• It’s not even the same game

• @bada:

The irony.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@bada:

Yeah I’m an idiot

I know man, I know your pain.