Questions about archers and maa

• –-Warning: bad english, sorry—

Hello,

i have some questions for TBS and the community. I play mostly MAA

I am not complaining about changes or anything. I just want answer or knowing the reasoning behind your choices.

About archers (not the javelin)

-Why they do so much damage? Who decided and why??? They don’t take any risk in comparaison of the rest of the melee. I know lot of people who took an arrow in the knee and they are not dead. ;)

-Why they accelerate so much if the most of time they are camping or stationnary?
    -In addition, why they run so fast, even with the chase syst we take the half map to kill them. The most time they stay in the same place.

-Why they can change their weapon so fast? When you run zigzaging to kill an archer, he wait until you are 1 meter from him and hit you with an arrow, you have one pixel of life left and he can change his weapon and parry your fist attack or kill you directly…

About MAA

-We can’t attack while dodging, can’t parry while dodging, you have decreased the distance of dodge, you have slow down the dodge, we have cooldown between 2 doges, we have cooldown right after being hitted, we have bubble so we can’t sneak between ennemies (with dodge).

So my question is: what’s the purpose of the dodge? How do you want us it?

With these things about the dodge, i parry more but sometimes i am exhausted even if have stamina: why? what’s going on?

-After being hitted, everything is stopped, i can’t dodge/attack but i see many vanguard and knight not being so much affected by my hit, they can attack right after: it’s normal?

-Only the knight and vanguard can stun? How that works?

The most problem with this game is that nothing is explained. That’s why it is so “frustrating”. Being oneshoted 4 times by an archer who are not in the fight and you, you can’t reach the fight it’s frustrating too. You have better to play Counter Strike, it’s more fairplay.

• @Hohenheim:

There’s only one viable maneuver left for dodge and it’s terrible. Dodge back away from an attack and sprint forward to hit them while they’re either in combo or recovery.

@Hohenheim:

-After being hitted, everything is stopped, i can’t dodge

That’s a bug. You should be able to dodge during flinch.

Also, two handed weapons flinch for longer. This is necessary as many weapons could interrupt two hander combos.

• @BB:

This is necessary as many weapons could interrupt two hander combos.

Only a couple weapons, and only against comboes from a zwei and slower.

You’re forgetting that 2-handed weapons already reigned supreme, without question, and just got buffed more. Now, if you get hit, you are forced into attempting to parry the next attack (which could be a feint).

Before, if you got hit, you could read a combo-feint and attack to punish a combo-feint… that is no longer the case.

• @Hohenheim:

-Why they do so much damage?

Because medieval ranged weapons actually did a lot of damage.
    @Hohenheim:

-Why they accelerate so much if the most of time they are camping or stationnary?

Light armor makes you accelerate faster as you have less mass.
    @Hohenheim:

-In addition, why they run so fast

Same reason.
    @Hohenheim:

-Why they can change their weapon so fast?

Because its much faster to draw a knife than to draw a sword or an axe.
    @Hohenheim:

-We can’t attack while dodging

Stupid thing I know.
    @Hohenheim:

can’t parry while dodging

I can…
    @Hohenheim:

you have decreased the distance of dodge, you have slow down the dodge

Because this is Medieval Warfare not Unreal Tournament.
    @Hohenheim:

we have cooldown between 2 doges, we have cooldown right after being hitted

Try to do an agile dodge after you just jumped to the side or hot hit by something that put you off balance.
    @Hohenheim:

we have bubble so we can’t sneak between ennemies (with dodge).

Also kind of stupid but you can still do it to some extend. Just think of “getting blocked by the enemies weapon or shield”.
    @Hohenheim:

what’s the purpose of the dodge?

Well, the purpose of dodging is dodging aka evading attacks. And it does this quite well save for some bugs (sometimes you still get hit) - also this should be the main purpose - being primarily a defensive move. Offensive uses were too strong - but I still want them back (in a weaker form though).
    @Hohenheim:

With these things about the dodge, i parry more but sometimes i am exhausted even if have stamina: why? what’s going on?

If you are low on stamina you will hear the sound that used to indicate being out of stamina. Also if you block a very strong attack with a tiny weapon it drains a lot of stamina. If you drop at 0 you will get stunned but also receice some stamina back. So it might look like you never ran out of stamina.
    @Hohenheim:

-After being hitted, everything is stopped, i can’t dodge/attack but i see many vanguard and knight not being so much affected by my hit

Hittrading as Man at Arms is usally a bad idea. You will die (dead people are unable to dodge/attack) and they will survive thanks to their superior armor.
    @Hohenheim:

You can also do. But Man at Arms weapons are less heavy and drain less stamina.
    @Hohenheim:

The most problem with this game is that nothing is explained.

Try the Tutorial. It does answer some questions. For everything else look in the forums and just ask. And no, “omg so stupid you just instakilled me - lamer idiot this game sucks!!!111” is not asking. ;-)

• @NoVaLombardia:

Norse could interrupt the Broad, it really wasn’t that uncommon.

@NoVaLombardia:

Now, if you get hit, you are forced into attempting to parry the next attack (which could be a feint).

Before, if you got hit, you could read a combo-feint and attack to punish a combo-feint… that is no longer the case.

I don’t see a problem with this. If you can see the feint coming at the very least you won’t take a hit.

• @BB:

If you were speed-hacking, yes.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@BB:

If you were speed-hacking, yes.

Lol one time it happened while I was dueling for a scrim map. It’s completely possible.

• the Slowest total combo time of a broadsword combo (double overhead combo) is 1.0

0.35 release + 0.65 combo = 1.0

0.8 flinch time –-> leaves with 0.2

Norse windup is 0.35 for its fastest attack.

0.35 > 0.2

• @NoVaLombardia:

the Slowest total combo time of a broadsword combo (double overhead combo) is 1.0

0.35 release + 0.65 combo = 1.0

0.8 flinch time –-> leaves with 0.2

Norse windup is 0.35 for its fastest attack.

0.35 > 0.2

Haha just telling you what happened. Happened multiple times too. Was most likely the flinch bug the.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@BB:

This is necessary as many weapons could interrupt two hander combos.

You’re forgetting that 2-handed weapons already reigned supreme, without question, and just got buffed more. Now, if you get hit, you are forced into attempting to parry the next attack (which could be a feint).

Yes now they function just the same as their faster brethren 1hers after landing a strike.

• @Knil:

Yes now they function just the same as their faster brethren 1hers after landing a strike.

You could do the same thing to a 1-hander if they late feinted, even when you’re using a pole-axe.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Knil:

You could do the same thing to a 1-hander if they late feinted, even when you’re using a pole-axe.

Just how you can do that with a late feint on a 2her now.

1.1 flinch + .6 poleaxe windup = 1.7

Greatsword half of release .3 + combo time .7 + .2 feint timer + .5 windup = 1.7

• @Evil:

@Hohenheim:

-Why they do so much damage?

Because medieval ranged weapons actually did a lot of damage.
    @Hohenheim:

Light armor makes you accelerate faster as you have less mass.
    @Hohenheim:

-In addition, why they run so fast

Same reason.
    @Hohenheim:

-Why they can change their weapon so fast?

Because its much faster to draw a knife than to draw a sword or an axe.

Thank you for the reply but for theses questions i especially expect the respones of TBS. And i really hope they won’t give the same answers.

I’ve already done the tuto, you know i am rank 40 and play 300 hours. I think the reason why this game is more enrraging than the others it’s because nothing is explained: no death cam, when you try something (hit, dodge, parry) and you can’t you just want destroy your keyboard because nothing show you that you are in a cooldown,winup,stun… I guess is that.

• @Knil:

@NoVaLombardia:

@Knil:

Just how you can do that with a late feint on a 2her now.

1.1 flinch + .6 poleaxe windup = 1.7

Greatsword half of release .3 + combo time .7 + .2 feint timer + .5 windup = 1.7

Greatsword slowest total combo time is 1.25 (slash or overhead) – Release 0.6 + combo 0.65 = 1.25

+0.2 feint timer, but also -0.2 for unfeintable window, so 1.25 total time. + overhead windup of 0.5 = 1.75

1.7 (pole-axe) < 1.75 (greatsword) This is also assuming the best case scenario for the person trying to punish said combo feint. In practice, the feint will come earlier, and you will most likely not be hit in the first few frames. Also account for lag.

Regardless, this wasn’t what I was talking about. We switched the topic to a 1-hander, because you claimed 1-hander combo feints weren’t punishable pre-patch. So here we go; lets use the broadsword example again:

Most common combo was stab -> overhead (0.95 total time // 0.3 release stab + 0.65 overhead combo +0.3 feint time +0.4 overhead windup -0.2 unfeintable -> 1.45 total time.)

0.8 flinch + 0.6 pole-axe = 1.4

Once again, best case scenario, especially when accounting for lag.

Let’s compare that to pre-patch without the unfeintable window, making a 1.65 total time; this is where this starts to get reasonable. Especially if you were using something like a SoW or Longsword with that 0.5 overhead.

• So

i will never have an answer from TBS… i decided to put these questions on the forum and not send you an email because the community have to know. I was not at the beginning so i don’t know your reasoning about the classes, specially the archers.

Right now i disapprove your choices but if you explain the reason perhaps i will understand.

• @Hohenheim:

[Thank you for the reply but for theses questions i especially expect the respones of TBS. And i really hope they won’t give the same answers.[/quote]
    Why don’t ask Torn Banner then?

And why shouldn’t they give you the same answers? Chivalry is “medieval warfare” themed not “medieval themed fanatsy world without magic” themed (where ranged weapons deal puny damage and ranged fighers have to be physically weaker than close combat fighters).

I would be disappointed if a game that has “medieval warfare” in its name would scale down archery (a major part of medieval warfare) in the same way every MMO does it. By the name I expect Archers to be deadly and fast and I also expect Knight to both soak up and dish out a lot of damage (instead of just one) while being slower in exchange.

• @BB:

There’s only one viable maneuver left for dodge and it’s terrible. Dodge back away from an attack and sprint forward to hit them while they’re either in combo or recovery.

I dont know how you play MAA, but dodging sideways to avoid an overhead or get a position advantage in a 2vs1 works fine for me.

• when timed right it can dodge stabs and throws as well. and it can be used to catch people off guard.

• @BB:

@Hohenheim:

I dodge on the side all the time to attack the side of my enemies or confuse people in group fight and suddently attack an incoming enemy unaware I will go for him, yes it’s been nerf but it’s not useless!

• @Hohenheim:

–-Warning: bad english, sorry—

Hello,

i have some questions for TBS and the community. I play mostly MAA

I am not complaining about changes or anything. I just want answer or knowing the reasoning behind your choices.

About archers (not the javelin)

-Why they do so much damage? Who decided and why??? They don’t take any risk in comparaison of the rest of the melee. I know lot of people who took an arrow in the knee and they are not dead. ;)

-In addition, why they run so fast, even with the chase syst we take the half map to kill them. The most time they stay in the same place.

-Why they can change their weapon so fast? When you run zigzaging to kill an archer, he wait until you are 1 meter from him and hit you with an arrow, you have one pixel of life left and he can change his weapon and parry your fist attack or kill you directly…

About MAA

-We can’t attack while dodging, can’t parry while dodging, you have decreased the distance of dodge, you have slow down the dodge, we have cooldown between 2 doges, we have cooldown right after being hitted, we have bubble so we can’t sneak between ennemies (with dodge).

-After being hitted, everything is stopped, i can’t dodge/attack but i see many vanguard and knight not being so much affected by my hit, they can attack right after: it’s normal?

The most problem with this game is that nothing is explained. That’s why it is so “frustrating”. Being oneshoted 4 times by an archer who are not in the fight and you, you can’t reach the fight it’s frustrating too. You have better to play Counter Strike, it’s more fairplay.

I’m usually one to complain about imbalances, but it sounds like you just need to get better. Use footwork, timing and sheer willpower to overtake your opponents. Archers and MAAs are balanced right now.