Archer IS the easiest class

• This thread is now in the proper section :)
    Why do you think I play archer when I’m high? AND I STILL top the scoreboard. It’s because it’s easy as hell. Not only this, but I found success with archer even as a noob, and I NEVER played it, but when I did it was easy. And there are many people just like me. (Trust me, you get shot by them all the time ;) )

• I SHOULD MENTION that this is all in the context of the PUBLIC scene…not competitive.

However be careful how you interpret what I said. Don’t get me wrong, archer takes skill (obviously some archers are better than others) but the learning curve is tiny; if there is one at all. Because of this, archer is probably the most accessible class in the game; in addition to the fact that it is the class most familiar to fps players.

• @parkrangerstan:

Why do you think I play archer when I’m high?

I can’t play chivalry during that period of time. Actually I gave that up when I met the love of my life.

• @gregcau:

I can’t play chivalry during that period of time. Actually I gave that up when I met the love of my life.

The new Asian chick in your sig?

• @ChuckingIt:

@gregcau:

The new Asian chick in your sig?

Yes, its eternal love.

• @gregcau:

Yes, its eternal love.

Well congrats man. Hope it all goes well. Ok, now back to whatever this thread is about.

• I think thats mainly because of three factors:
    (1) very high projectile speed
    (2) very low projectile drop
    (3) pinpoint accuracy
    So the main obstacles real Archer had to deal with are just removed or simplified in Chivalry. This makes Archer gameplay a simple point&click affair especially when using an Crossbow (though Crossbows are meant to be easy to use). Simplification is not a bad thing as we still got a game and no hardcore simulation. But maybe adding some realism would hlep to make Archery more enjoyable and rewarding.
    So maybe a comination of the following could be considered:
    (1) reducing projectile speed to make it harder to hit a moving target over distance
    (2) increasing projectile drop to make it harder to hit over great distances
    (3) adding some (nonrandom and periodic) crosshair movement* to avoid unrealistic precision making it harder to bypass shields and cover

*similar to what some games do to sniper rifles

• Its not the easiest class to start off with.

Warbow and HCB. Then it becomes easy.

For a noob archer is pretty much the hardest class.

• I agree. One of your points, projectile speed, was a big buff for sure. Distance for leading a target is now decreased, thus dumbing down the difficulty for someone to play archer well. The archer class is moving more towards point and shoot :| I used to think archer took a lot of skill to master, but really it’s quite easy to become a “pub stomping” archer (again, this is not entirely the case in the competitive scene). However, they did nerf the initial projectile speed implemented by the latest patch, but it’s still too fast imo.

• You do realise that projectile speed was slowed down by up to 20% when they fixed the FPS issue in the hotfix. I noticed a big difference.

• Accurate depiction of people who play drunk/high and feel the need to let other people know about it

• Drugs aren’t illegal everywhere.

• Yes, however crossbow projectile speed is still buffed from prepatch.

• @parkrangerstan:

Yes, however crossbow projectile speed is still buffed from prepatch.

Hey all got buffed almost. Then all got slowed down but not to where they started.

HCB actually had some drop to it now and I can dodge their shots. Its not a laser Anymore.

• @Evil:

I think thats mainly because of three factors:
    (1) very high projectile speed
    (2) very low projectile drop
    (3) pinpoint accuracy
    So the main obstacles real Archer had to deal with are just removed or simplified in Chivalry. This makes Archer gameplay a simple point&click affair especially when using an Crossbow (though Crossbows are meant to be easy to use). Simplification is not a bad thing as we still got a game and no hardcore simulation. But maybe adding some realism would hlep to make Archery more enjoyable and rewarding.
    So maybe a comination of the following could be considered:
    (1) reducing projectile speed to make it harder to hit a moving target over distance
    (2) increasing projectile drop to make it harder to hit over great distances
    (3) adding some (nonrandom and periodic) crosshair movement* to avoid unrealistic precision making it harder to bypass shields and cover

*similar to what some games do to sniper rifles

I disagree here. Bow projectile speed atm is where it needs to be. They just slowed down all the projectile speeds with the FPS speed fix. The drop is notable and you have to adapt to it. You have to understand learning the drop does not take that long to engrave into your mind. You play archer for 50+ hours with a the same bow and you can easily have the drop in muscle memory. Now crossbows on the other hand in my opinion might need their projectile speed slowed down A LITTLE, just enough where you can actually see the arrow ;). Pinpoint accuracy is not true at all. I don’t know if others have noticed this and i don’t know if this has happens to anyone else but sometimes i feel my arrows do not come out straight in my bow. It seems sometimes go out to the left or right. Archery in pubs is one of the easiest classes in my opinion because most of the melee do not know how to avoid arrows or know how to counter arch. But in my opinion archery is at a good point and just needs some tweaking nothing like you suggested above because you were too general when you talked about those changes. :P

• Hard to play, easy to win with. Except, now it’s easy to play.

• From a realism point of view projectile speed is really low.

• @lemonater47:

Drugs aren’t illegal everywhere.

when you get older you become less of a prude and judgmental.

• What you say is true(However crossbow projectile is still faster than prepatch, but you skimmed over that fact) archer is still easy to play, that’s a fact. I picked it right up and wrecked with it…what a joke. Also, I was letting you know I play “high” to make a point. Archer is so easy you can play it high as fuck and succeed. Or did you miss that part?

• What a compelling argument. :?