Vote Kick

• The votekick mechanic should be revamped. It’s bringing more problems than it was meant to solve. A group of friends’ votes can make all the difference in a votekick, which is what irritates me because they’re practically untouchable. Plus when someone gets votekicked, it’s permanent and you can’t join the server ever again. Sure, it gets rid of obvious hackers/teamkillers, but 50% of the time the person didn’t deserve the kick.

My solution?

• Give more information about the kicked person (number of teamkills, time on server, rank, k/d ratio, etc.)

• Lower the time you’re kicked from the server, preferably 1 day

• Higher the percentage needed in order to kick somebody (currently 55%)

Post possible solutions and share your experiences below…

• The time you are votekicked for is 5 minutes.

All that information is useless. Ping should be added.

The amount of people who push yes vary massively between regions. Down here random votekicks almost always fail with 85% to 65% no usually. A group of friends can’t change that.

That also means that a legitimate votekick often fails too. Or barely passes.

Its up to server owners to change it.

• I don’t even think it’s five minutes anymore- seems to be about three. I think the admin can actually ban you (as in, permaban) but a votekick won’t do it.

I got kicked yesterday for “being a fag” and it passed (66%!), because logic.

I heated up some coffee, checked out anything new on the forums, and then rejoined. After having yet another votekick lodged against me after joining, it failed, and then I promptly killed the fellow that arbitrarily kicked me, and he ragequit, and the server lived happily ever after.

The End.

• @Carolean:

I don’t even think it’s five minutes anymore- seems to be about three. I think the admin can actually ban you (as in, permaban) but a votekick won’t do it.

I got kicked yesterday for “being a fag” and it passed (66%!), because logic.

I heated up some coffee, checked out anything new on the forums, and then rejoined. After having yet another votekick lodged against me after joining, it failed, and then I promptly killed the fellow that arbitrarily kicked me, and he ragequit, and the server lived happily ever after.

The End.

Guys that abuse vote-kick down here usually get kicked themselves by the community. Though now that there’s more admins on our servers they get banned from all of them.

Admin kick has no 5 minute ban. Which is annoying. Though can be used as a warning. I use that as a “physical” warning during this period with all the noobs. Banning someone from the game on net servers Is like banning someone from the entire game. With 80% of Australia servers being games on net and 95% percent of player playing on them at peak times it becomes very hard to find a game again. And bans are perma bans which is annoying. An you can’t ban straight to a global ban list you have to add them manually. Which means you have to do all these conversions with their 64bit steam ID the game gives you with the getplayerinfo command.

Whenever I play on any other server that’s not games on net they are full of all the dicks. That’s the problem. Banning people mean they all go to the few servers they sent banned from. Meaning more well behaved players go to our servers.

The 4 official servers we have never have anyone on them.

There was one group of people that were votekicking people. One claiming to be admin with the username admin. And their votekicks were getting successful. This was before I was admin and I tried explaining that an admin had to log in and they wouldn’t use votekick. Took a while to convince people.