[WEP] Greatsword

• This is the stick we´re discussing today! A powerful, long, very skill based weapon that I´ve been getting into and it treats me great, even more, I should say, sometimes I don´t have to do that much work, the greatsword can do that for me :) .

What makes it unique and so great?

Besides having the ability to demolish an entire enemy team with more ease than any other weapon is the fact that every possible game mechanic can be used very effectively, these are the ones I´m talking about:

1) Footwork
    2) Combos
    3) Mouse-dragging
    4) Feints
    5) Jump strikes
    6) One-shots
    7) Kicks
    8) Ducks

All these tools are very possible and very powerfull. So let´s talk about those.

1) Footwork
    Using your footwork to evade strikes while winding up your own is your primary tool. The greatsword is very long and capable of creating extremely huge kill-zones with your slashes.
    Swapping targets is a skill by itself and thanks to the reach and good combo times you can bounce around multiple enemies and come on top easily.

2) Combos

Archers- die in 1 head shit or 2 with torso hits
    MAAs - Die in 2 hits
    Vanguards - Die in 2 hits
    Knights - Die in 3 hits

Pretty straightforward, luckily the latest patch has not touched the greatsword in regards to hits to kill. Against MAAs and Vanguards it doesn´t matter which strikes you choose and it doesn´t matter even against knights with one exception: You cannot 3-shot knights with 3 torso slashes. Since you´ll be comboing all the strikes together, this exception really doesn´t matter either.

3) Mouse-dragging

Stab-drags are great, you simple stab next to your opponent and then drag it into his body. Works well against shields.
    Slash-delaying is still very useful and people are still getting tricked by this, slash-accelerating is also great but I find that delaying works better for this weapon.
    Overhead-lookback is extremely fun if you can pull it off and hit :) . You simply look upwards when overheading, you don´t even need to combo, it still throws people off.
    Overhead-accelerating by looking down is very useful for parry->overhead, especially if you´re facehugging someone, there is almost no chance to defend against this, since the overhead strikes pretty much instantly. I don´t use it that much because I tend to miss a lot of OH-lookdown strikes. :D

4) Feints
    Nothing to discuss really, get close to someone, press LMB, press RMB, press LMB again -> win :D
    No, I really mean it is very easy to feint someone with this big stick. You can even feint shield users.
    If you feint left slash and then stab drag from the right you´ll get through easily.

5) Jump strikes
    Are also another way to bypass blocks. They´re great to pull off in the middle of your combo. You simply combo into stab or overhead and jump during the release. What´s so great about this is that since you strike from above, you´ll get a headshot almost everytime :) .

6) One-shots
    You want to train yourself towards slashing archers in the neck! It seems to me that if I strike an archer above the neck, I don´t get the one-shot kill. Do you have similar experience?
    So aiming your slashes in the heads is a skill that should be practiced a lot against all classes. It´s actually easier than it sounds, you just need to strike in the right height.

7) Kicks
    The new quick kick is soo great! Comes out really fast and knocks people back a lot, it´s a great way to deal with face-huggers. It is also a great escape mechanism: If you start to get surrounded, just kick the closest foe and GTFO!

8) Ducks
    I find that ducking is not very necessary lately, at least with the greatsword because it´s just so long and you´ll be keeping your distance a lot so the only use I see is against vanguards with similar setups: Greatsword, Zweihander, Bardiche. Against any other weapon I find that kicks are enough to keep distance and therefore evade strikes :)

Playstyle

You are a frontline soldier. Playing a support role is viable but that is not the most effective use of the greatsword at all! I find it´s best to use it aggresively, getting right in the fight, control that distance, flank, headshot archers, smoke their view, spawn camp a bit. I recommend staying a little bit further from your teammates but you should always help one-guy fighting multiple enemies. Just watch out for that TK as this stick can do a lot of TK :D

Archers
    Are, off course, a pain in any vanguard´s ass. There are really only 2 options to deal with them:

Flank them and kill them
    Smoke them

But both of these options are very risky, even the smoke pot throwing is just still soooo slow that you may get hit in the face.

Post here any further details, experiences, screenshots and questions! :-)

This is a game played at the very end of my Chivalry session, the messer is just on the screen because I got to be the king but the entire game was played with the greatsword :-), very, very, very powerful and fun!

• This is probably my favorite weapon for the VG. I love being able to effectively manipulate it in pretty much anyway. Great for slaying loads of archers as well. 8-)

• Good post, I love this weapon more than any other Vangaurd weapon. The Alt overhead throws most newbies off for some reason so if you overhead, use that! :D

• @FPSOtsal:

Good post, I love this weapon more than any other Vangaurd weapon. The Alt overhead throws most newbies off for some reason so if you overhead, use that! :D

Triple overhead combo is what I use to take down knights, confuses everybody, those strikes come out sooo slooooow :D !

• lol head shit

• @funthomass:

Archers- die in 1 head shit

Worst way to go.

I’ve also come to appreciate the greatsword as my favourite Van weapon. I sometimes pull out the flamberge for the added reach and to throw off opponents who have grown accustomed to my timings with the greatsword, but that’s about it. It feels very elegant and well-rounded for something so big.

• Not suprising, everyone that commented in this thread say they love the greatsword. Honestly, it’s too fast for it’s length. Seriously, the way they balance the claymore+greatsword is jacked up. They should have made the greatsword slower and left the claymore alone.

• @Jstorm:

Honestly, it’s too fast for it’s length.

Disagree ;)

• @FPSOtsal:

@Jstorm:

Disagree ;)

Who are you?

• @Jstorm:

@FPSOtsal:

@Jstorm:

Disagree ;)

Who are you?

We dont need another nova j.

• Like I said earlier, the only drawback of the Greatsword is the necessity to play as the vanguard = less health. CONSIDERABLY less health!! A lot of weapon can 2 shit him so easily, before the balance patch vanguards melted against the SoW (at least when I played the SoW).

Personally I feel the greatsword doesn´t need touching for the drawbacks are still obvious and will deny you from wanting to play it entirely…

• can’t this weapon 2 hit knights to the head? i think it can.

• @clayton-bigsby:

can’t this weapon 2 hit knights to the head? i think it can.

49 damage to knight in head I think. Or close to it.

I think 2 overhead headshots and a kick will do the trick.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@clayton-bigsby:

ah, i swear i’ve 2 hit knights with gsword… maybe not.

• @clayton-bigsby:

@NoVaLombardia:

@clayton-bigsby:

ah, i swear i’ve 2 hit knights with gsword… maybe not.

He probably took some falling damage or something, or had a little damage on him.

• @funthomass:

I know some people really hate archers but isn’t that needlessly cruel? ;_;

Alternatively FREUDIAN SLIP.

• @DemonicChocobo:

@funthomass:

I know some people really hate archers but isn’t that needlessly cruel? ;_;

Alternatively FREUDIAN SLIP.

The LS does it too :D

• This weapon is unfairly good, lol

• nice guide. But who is face-hugger?

• @funthomass:

A lot of weapon can 2 shit him so easily,

Hahahahaha.

I too love the greatsword though. Head shit!!