An Example Mod - Quick Start into Modding Chivlary

• Hi, a friend asked me to give some examples of my work in the SDK so that he could get a quick start into understanding how modding works in Chivalry. Instead, I have created a small mod specifically to help people get over that first confusing step into modding UDK and Chivalry.

From the ReadMe:

Example Mod - by 'Champion of the Universe' Nabster :D

This example mod to Chivalry:Medieval Warfare will hopefully allow a quick start into modding Chivalry.
    It demonstrates the basics of modding game-modes, player controllers, pawns, classes and weapons.
    Programming experience is assumed. 
    Although some concepts of UnrealScript are explained, this is generally designed to give you the idea of the structure of 
    the game and where to start modding, not teach UDK or UnrealScript coding.
    Much can be learned about specific game features by reading the code provided by TBS and experimenting, using this as a starting platform.

Place the ExampleMod folder in Chivalry SDK's Development\Src\ folder.
    Please read the information on the wiki below before starting. This will tell you how to compile the mod and run it for testing.
    [url]https://tornbannerjira.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CHIVCOM/Chivalry+SDK[/url]

I suggest you look in the ExCustomLTS first, and follow the chains to all the other classes from there.
    I've tried my best to explain everything as clearly and accurately as possible.

Good luck, and have fun. ;)

Download Here

Feel free to leave feedback or questions below (no guarantees I’ll have the answers though :D).

• Nice! Should help people getting into SDK a lot easier than from stumbling around in the dark like we did :)

• so tried to build the example mod u give by following what the https://tornbannerjira.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CHIVCOM/Chivalry+SDK#ChivalrySDK-Cookingacustomcontentpackage says i builded the scripts it creates SDKTEST.U i launch the contentsdk and try to do open AOCLTS-Moor_p?game=ExampleMod.ExCustomLTS it opens the map but not the costum gametype any ideas how to fix this?

• @YodadaJew:

so tried to build the example mod u give by following what the https://tornbannerjira.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CHIVCOM/Chivalry+SDK#ChivalrySDK-Cookingacustomcontentpackage says i builded the scripts it creates SDKTEST.U i launch the contentsdk and try to do open AOCLTS-Moor_p?game=ExampleMod.ExCustomLTS it opens the map but not the costum gametype any ideas how to fix this?

Sounds like you didn’t set up your UDKSDK.ini for building your scripts.

From the linked wiki:

Edit UDKSDK.ini in Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare Beta\Config and add a line like this: (YourScriptPackageName should match the name of the directory you created above)

ModPackages=YourScriptPackageName

So to compile the ExampleMod (assuming you kept the folder name the same in Development\Src) you need:

ModPackages=ExampleMod

• @NabsterHax:

@YodadaJew:

so tried to build the example mod u give by following what the https://tornbannerjira.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CHIVCOM/Chivalry+SDK#ChivalrySDK-Cookingacustomcontentpackage says i builded the scripts it creates SDKTEST.U i launch the contentsdk and try to do open AOCLTS-Moor_p?game=ExampleMod.ExCustomLTS it opens the map but not the costum gametype any ideas how to fix this?

Sounds like you didn’t set up your UDKSDK.ini for building your scripts.

From the linked wiki:

[quot[image][/image]e]Edit UDKSDK.ini in Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare Beta\Config and add a line like this: (YourScriptPackageName should match the name of the directory you created above)

ModPackages=YourScriptPackageName

So to compile the ExampleMod (assuming you kept the folder name the same in Development\Src) you need:

ModPackages=ExampleMod

Yea thats what i did still doesnt work sadly :/

[image:1ya5no2x]http://i.imgur.com/ukaeajY.png[/image:1ya5no2x]

and here is what the build script does

[image:1ya5no2x]http://i.imgur.com/Zx26Wrg.png[/image:1ya5no2x]

• I think you have to edit the udksdk.ini in your game’s directory in Program Files, instead of My Documents.

• @r_:

I think you have to edit the udksdk.ini in your game’s directory in Program Files, instead of My Documents.

yup that works, would be awsome if it gets edited in the documentation though.

• Ah, I didn’t even see that the path name was wrong. :?

• UDKSDK.ini seems like it should be in “ChivBeta”\UDKGame\Config, but there is not a file called UDKSDK.ini.

Also, there is no directory, “Chivalry SDK’s Development\Src”, I don’t know where you are seeing that. Are you again referring to UDKGame\Config directory?

• steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfarebeta\Development\Src

and

steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfarebeta\UDKGame\Config\UDKSDK.ini

If you can’t find UDKSDK.ini in there, just create one:

[ModPackages]
    ModPackages=ModName
    ModPackagesInPath=..\..\Development\Src
    ModOutputDir=..\..\UDKGame\ContentSDK

[IniVersion]
    0=1378419556.000000

• steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfarebeta\Development\Src

All I see in the chivalrymedievalwarfarebeta directory is:

Binaries (directory)
    UDKGame (directory)
    installscript.vdf

Clearly I am missing the Development directory that is mentioned in this tutorial. Is this directory created as well as Src? I can go ahead and create a UDKSDK.ini file and edit it but I still need to understand where my mod directory needs to be placed. BTW, thanks for your reply. I will assume that a lot of the aforementioned tutorial steps exist in the realm of implied knowledge. Your help here is much appreciated by me and I am sure by any other newb developers who want to contribute to the Chivalry game.

• If you are missing files:

1. Right click Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Beta on Steam Library.
    2. Select Properties / Local Files.
    3. Click “Verify Integrity Of Game Cache”.

This should download any missing or locally modified files.