Release Date… Take your time !

• If the game is not enough bug free on October 16th, wait a little before bringing it out on Steam! Do not feel obliged to release it at this date! I want you to make a big success, you deserve it! Take the necessary time so that everything is okay, so many good indies games missed their release because it missed them a few weeks of beta in more to be really ready, do not make the same error! In addition to that, the week you set for your release on steam is filled with big launchs, it is a risky bet, there are Dishonored, DOOM 3 BFG edition, 007 Legends, DLC Mechromancer of Borderlands 2 and Ravaged who go out at the same time!
    I don’t claim to know better what date must be chosen to release Chivalry, but i beg you to consider well all these factors and take the best decision out of it!

• They should delay it for at least two weeks. Wait until War of the Roses dies off (a month) and the other games launch until releasing.

• If you delay it the people anticipating the release will get more hyped and the people who don’t know about the game will not be affected, or at least that’s what I think will happen.

• The game is nowhere near finished in my opinion. They can’t stomp nearly all bugs when the release dat arrives, not to mention balancing of classes/weapons and fixing the netcode + numerous smaller issues. Even though they are already working nonstop (or atleast that’s the picture that we are given which I’m not doubting at all) time is not on their side. Postpone the release for a month or two even, but given how publishers pressure the developers and so on … I don’t see that happening. -.-

• I guess devs released that date not just because “oh why not”.Also seems unfair for those who pre-ordered without early acess and yes i am totally egoistic so i want to play it the date devs told me. Even if Torn banner guys will postpone release the access should be given for those who preordered the game on 16th october

• I agree completely on not releasing a game with some bugs. So far the game seems to be decent, but it still needs a lot of patching to solve the lag, high pings, some hit detections, etc. But you’re better off releasing a game late which turns out great than one that’s buggy. THat was one of the major issue with Red Orchestra 2, the game was amazing but it had such horrible optimization that it took them like 8 months to fix it up, and by then a lot of the people had lost patience and left. It’s crucial to release a well working game right away, many players don’t have the patience. We do because we love the game but you can’t say the same about casual gamers.

• i think gB asked tibbs why the game id being release early and tibbs said something along the lines of them wanting to release it along side WotR and that indie games die in nov/dec.

• I think the titles being released in the same period are being greatly exaggerated.

http://www.giantbomb.com/new-games/

November looks much scarier in comparison.

Dishonored looks awesome. SP only though, reminds me a lot of Bioshock.

• @Vox:

i think gB asked tibbs why the game id being release early and tibbs said something along the lines of them wanting to release it along side WotR and that indie games die in nov/dec.

But that’s a bad decision. WotR is getting a lot more attention on Steam than Chiv is, so most will head for WotR than Chiv. I think a Nov/Dec. release would suit it better, after WotR has come out and most of the fans have gotten hold of it. Then I think Torn Banner should put preorders up on Steam. If they do that, no doubt interest for it will rise through the roof as it did WotR. If it’s released on Nov/Dec, I feel like it’ll have more attention.

• @Andrew:

I think the titles being released in the same period are being greatly exaggerated.

http://www.giantbomb.com/new-games/

November looks much scarier in comparison.

Dishonored looks awesome. SP only though, reminds me a lot of Bioshock.

Yeah sorry about that, just saw on the link the exaggeration, i am french and i follow the website nofrag that you know from GDC, and we discussed on it the need that we feel for the game to be released later, until it is bug free, the titles being released was part of the argumentation, i translated it directly to this forum without checking the value of what has been said.
    Well it doesn’t change my opinion, i don’t think there is a time period for indie game as it could be for bigger/expansive game. I might be wrong but if it exists, i don’t think it is sufficiently important anyway compared with the weight of sales brought by a well finished game which solidifies its players base from the very beginning.
    If you try to fight in the same time release against WoTR you need to be definitely more polished because he is way more ready (longer beta behind and budget) and doesn’t take much risk compared to you, you will be way more exposed than he is if you choose this option.

• Games pretty fun, most won’t start complaining or wanting changes until you’ve played a little bit imho, so given that all the bugs get smoothed out, servers stay up and always refreshing in the server list and the like, I think it should be good.

Downside to release is you have to 100% not break the build, and one bad patch that you don’t fix the same day can devastate the game, so that does slow some things down a bit and makes iteration/experimentation harder to do.

Xcom + Dishonoured is scarry.

I think releasing alongside wotr is probably a good idea because you can piggyback off their marketing somewhat. Don’t like WOTR…TRY CHIVALRY (or visa versa). Plus you get it out now, just in time to justify a nice steam sale over the holidays. Though I don’t do marketing, and i’m pretty sure as a consumer only my perceptions are way off.

I know I wouldn’t be upset if I had bought the game in its current state (minus server crashes), but over time I’d definitely want to be reading ‘whats coming next’ posts to appease myself.

PS I feel like the Burn the village + push cart level (battlegrounds?) needs another stage ;)

• I don’t want to criticize torn banner’s work ethic, but I hope they have some serious balance and bug fixes this patch, because this game is nowhere near presentable and their isn’t a lot of time left.

• A new objective on Stonehill?

Now that you mention it, I’ve always felt the throne room was too exposed. Maybe place two metal gates on the second floor entrances to the throne room, that can only be opened from the inside and one large wooden door at the main entrance that the attackers have to break down with their weapons.

The defenders can enter the courtyard via the second floor, closing the gate behind them to defend the main door and buy some time. Once the door is broken down, the attackers can climb the stairs and open the gates for their allies and ranged units.
    This would provide an added layer of strategy to the last objective, which in it’s current form it’s little more than turtling in a corner fending off wave after wave.
    Obviously the Kings health would be reduced to compensate for the added difficulty.

• Hmmm i like those ideas Strudel

• I feel like Natural Selection 2, Red Orchestra 2, and this game, are all releasing to early.

RO2 released early for fan demand - game died because of it. - Had short beta, received tons of complaints, took six months to fix it, by which time the community died.

–—
    Natural Selection 2 - Game releases October 31st. It is getting buggier with every update and 20% of the stuff they planned to put in the game isn’t in yet and most likely won’t make release. Has has long beta test, listened to user feedback and in fact the community helped fix the game alot.

• They’ve also given all pre-order people a free copy of the game to gift to friends…which to me worries me actually. That’s very generous for a company that built an Engine from scratch, did not use Kickstarter, and has constantly struggled with a lack of funds and a very small (3-6) man team.

Of course this is to generate hype, through Word of Mouth…but a part of me is looking at it cynically.

Chivalry - Also seems to be releasing abit early without a beta test. Team seems very confident, as do beta testers…but once you’re in the wild with all these different systems, OS configurations, and driver versions…

I can only speculate on Chivalry, but I’ve seen enough games release to know what looks like trouble. Of course, I hope I am wrong. I couldn’t in good faith pay 49.99$ for beta access. Just didn’t seem like a smart investment.

Just wish more studio’s would follow the “When it’s done”, not when we need the money strategy.

• I have a feeling we will have bigger issues with ping and lag after release. When people use less quaility servers and such. Likely not as bad as RO2 and AA3 but still. UE3 is known for it’s issues with multiplayer. RO2 used a year to fix the lag issues… AA3 still has issues. (O btw RO2 is not dead. 1000’s play it each day.)

Heed my warning don’t **** up with the networking, a major shit storm will come after that which you can’t “fix” in time.

Lag spikes still happen, it destorys the gameplay -Everything! Lag makes it impossible to time blocks as they pass through your block. I would not release until you fixed that.

• @reapy:

Games pretty fun, most won’t start complaining or wanting changes until you’ve played a little bit imho, so given that all the bugs get smoothed out, servers stay up and always refreshing in the server list and the like, I think it should be good.

Downside to release is you have to 100% not break the build, and one bad patch that you don’t fix the same day can devastate the game, so that does slow some things down a bit and makes iteration/experimentation harder to do.

Xcom + Dishonoured is scarry.

I think releasing alongside wotr is probably a good idea because you can piggyback off their marketing somewhat. Don’t like WOTR…TRY CHIVALRY (or visa versa). Plus you get it out now, just in time to justify a nice steam sale over the holidays. Though I don’t do marketing, and i’m pretty sure as a consumer only my perceptions are way off.

I know I wouldn’t be upset if I had bought the game in its current state (minus server crashes), but over time I’d definitely want to be reading ‘whats coming next’ posts to appease myself.

PS I feel like the Burn the village + push cart level (battlegrounds?) needs another stage ;)

I agree with piggy backing. I noticed WOTR and im not a fan at all, tried Chivalry and love it. Love blood splattering the screen, heads rolling etc. Ive not suffered with any lag at all and i suppose i maybe lucky. 1 thing Chivalry has going for it is fun factor and i think sometimes games miss that. Ive already said num,erous times this games made me laugh like no other and thats in 12 years of online gaming.