Control Scheme Suggestions

• Hey guys I wanted to make some suggestions to streamline the control scheme of Chivalry.

Dodging
    Currently done by double tapping a movement direction.

The problem with this is because dodging is such a reflexive action taking 2 key presses to execute it makes it feel sluggish.

To keep the number of hotkeys down I suggest making shift when tapped dodges you in the current direction you are moving. If you don’t want to combine it with sprint, then using alt is probably the next best alternative (no pun intended).

Feinting
    Currently done by pressing Q.

The problems with this is it just doesn’t feel very natural and it adds another unnecessary hotkey.

Using right mouse button to feint accomplishes 2 goals, streamlines the number of hotkeys and it’s a natural reaction because you associate that button in you mind as an defensive action it ties well together.

Slashing
    Currently done by pressing left click, left swing is done as a combo after a right swing.

The problem is you are not able to start with a left swing limiting high level play.

By adding m&b style control scheme to left click (move the mouse slighty to the left or right before a swing to choose your swing direction) you makes combos feel more satisfying because they have to be manually preformed and it gives you more control over your actions.

Thrusting and overhead swing stay the same just the slash lets you choose the swing direction.

Zoom with archery
    Currently done by the Alt key.

The problem with this is right mouse button is not used with the bow so why not use it?

Making zoom with a bow right click is a better alternative because it’s easier to hit and it more logically as a control carried over from other shooters.

Well that’s some of my suggestion let me know what you think.

• No just no.

First of all you can rebind keys so do not force anything there, Q works fine as default and it is already “streamlined” enough, no need to dumb it down til it just gets stupid. The controls and the feeling of the game is really good as it is.

Secondly, if you add that WotR style of moving the mouse to choose the direction of the hit , it will just feel a lot more un-natural and slow. One of the main reasons i dislike wotr aside from its casual approach is the mouse/combat-controls.

No offense, but sometimes suggestions like this worries me that the core of what they’ve achieved with Chivalry will be changed for the worse if something like this was implemented. If anything then core-changes should happen in the alpha, not when its close to a final product.

• I believe starting from right to left is much tactical and realistic, because the character holds the sword to his right, and thus it’s natural to expect that he would move it from that angle, to bring it to left he should move it first to position and then swing it, except if he holds it in left idle position all the time, which would then create teh same problem for right swings.

• @-Slash-:

I believe starting from right to left is much tactical and realistic, because the character holds the sword to his right, and thus it’s natural to expect that he would move it from that angle, to bring it to left he should move it first to position and then swing it, except if he holds it in left idle position all the time, which would then create teh same problem for right swings.

The whole idea of having to move the mouse as if it was the independent control of only the swing and not the character would not be a good one, WotR system feels very clunky in comparence to chivalry because it has this idea.

Here is were balance , common sense and realism has to be thought through carefully.
    Such a drastic change of controls could have a huge impact on the current gameplay.

Keep it the way it is.

• I agree with allowing right mouse button to both zoom with bows and feint while attacking.

• @heady89:

No just no.

First of all you can rebind keys so do not force anything there, Q works fine as default and it is already “streamlined” enough, no need to dumb it down til it just gets stupid. The controls and the feeling of the game is really good as it is.

Secondly, if you add that WotR style of moving the mouse to choose the direction of the hit , it will just feel a lot more un-natural and slow. One of the main reasons i dislike wotr aside from its casual approach is the mouse/combat-controls.

No offense, but sometimes suggestions like this worries me that the core of what they’ve achieved with Chivalry will be changed for the worse if something like this was implemented. If anything then core-changes should happen in the alpha, not when its close to a final product.

Woah a lot of anger you got heady. The only suggestion I made that evens slightly game changing is the slash control, eveything else is just input hotkey difference.

You cannot bind feint as right mouse button because that would unbind block. This holds true for all other of my suggestions.

• Knil, welcome to Chivalry community :D

All of these suggestions have been suggested over and over again before. Some of them have been put to the test by the devs but we’ll just have to wait and see what of those gets implemented. I do agree with all of those suggestions as they make logical sense and would improve the combat for sure.

But the thing is people who’ve played AoC will not accept change and if there’s one hostile attitude floating around here it’s the mentality of “If it’s in M&B, it must suck”. :|

1. he’s been a member of this community since 2010…
    2. who even talked about m&b…
      3)I bet 100% there wont be a left to right swing, dont have hopes for it. And it doesn’t have anything to do with Age of Chivalry veterans being afraid of a change, it’s just the way things roll…

• Referring to the older threads regarding the same suggestions.

• Dodging
    Currently done by double tapping a movement direction.

The problem with this is because dodging is such a reflexive action taking 2 key presses to execute it makes it feel sluggish.

To keep the number of hotkeys down I suggest making shift when tapped dodges you in the current direction you are moving. If you don’t want to combine it with sprint, then using alt is probably the next best alternative (no pun intended).

I agree. I never liked double tabs in games. Chances are it won’t work the way you wanted it to…

Feinting
    Currently done by pressing Q.

The problems with this is it just doesn’t feel very natural and it adds another unnecessary hotkey.

Using right mouse button to feint accomplishes 2 goals, streamlines the number of hotkeys and it’s a natural reaction because you associate that button in you mind as an defensive action it ties well together.

Sounds legit. Was already mentioned before. I think we can agree on that.

Slashing
    Currently done by pressing left click, left swing is done as a combo after a right swing.

The problem is you are not able to start with a left swing limiting high level play.

By adding m&b style control scheme to left click (move the mouse slighty to the left or right before a swing to choose your swing direction) you makes combos feel more satisfying because they have to be manually preformed and it gives you more control over your actions.

Thrusting and overhead swing stay the same just the slash lets you choose the swing direction.

As I’m a M&B vet I’d like to have the opportunity to attack in that manner. M&B has also buttons for each direction but I’ve never tested it.
    The devs don’t seem to like mouse directional attacks very much.

• I have a Cherry Red Switch Mechanical Keyboard. If dodging is double tapping, no issue. :p

As for directional attacks, that is all I think Chivalry is really missing. I think it would make it a much more skillful game.

• @Mkilbride:

As for directional attacks, that is all I think Chivalry is really missing. I think it would make it a much more skillful game.

But there are directional attacks. They are just bound to different mouse buttons rather than how you move your mouse. I’d like the game to offer both options.

• I believe most of these, because of how much support they’ve already gotten, will make it into the game eventually, except the directional slashing. Personally I’m in favor of directional slashing as a way to mix up combat a bit more.

@-Slash-:

I believe starting from right to left is much tactical and realistic, because the character holds the sword to his right, and thus it’s natural to expect that he would move it from that angle, to bring it to left he should move it first to position and then swing it, except if he holds it in left idle position all the time, which would then create teh same problem for right swings.

Simple solution: when you choose to swing from left to right, or from down to up with vertical attacks of certain weapons (the polearms have this function as the second hit in a vertical combo and it’s a really awesome attack people often don’t expect), the windup time is slightly longer as you first move the weapon into position. This would allow you to use certain attacks that currently aren’t possible to use depending on where you’re fighting - if there’s a wall to your right for example, or if there’s a low ceiling which will prevent you from overheading with a polearm, but not upward slashing. It also make feinting more tactical. I really think it’d just be an all-around good feature that would raise the skill ceiling of the game even higher.

• Yea if it would increase windup and actually have an animation of you moving the sword to position it could be cool.

• I don’t have a problem with a slight delay if you start with the left swing, but it shouldn’t be artificially long. It doesn’t take that long to transition over.