New attack mechanism

• At the moment i find a lot of people play a very defensive style of play (without realising that this is in fact what they’re doing) by refusing to throw a blow and instead wait and wait and wait for someone else to throw the first blow.

At the moment there are some disadvantages to throwing the first blow and i’d like to see a different approach for the more aggressive player to have in his arsenal.

I’d like to see an option where you can throw an attack, or ‘whiff’ an attack, that you know will make contact with your target in some way but is not actually the attack that you intend to do the serious damage with.

So following your whiffed attack you can then combo into your real attack, even if your whiffed attack is parried (without penalty), at riposte speed. The consequence can be that if you ‘whiffed’ attack does hit your target it does minimal or no damage (for balance sakes).

To be honest its very easy in 1 v 1 to just wait for the other person to start the first attack and then just out play them. I think this would add another card to play against the person who just sits and waits for someone else to start the first blow.

• Hello, I think your idea is very cool.
    I agree with you in that approacing an opponent can be tough some times. Especially facing an long ranged opponent.

I think an attack that 100% should hit and damage (If not blocked) the opponent should be there.

Such attacks is hard to come by. If equipping the Longsword as a knight, what kind of attack should that be?

We have the physical strikes such as the stab, the overhead and the swing.
    What if players could randomly throw a stone from the ground or some dust to stun or do some minor damage just to start their initiative.

Other “attacks” could also be there. I just came up with stones and dust just now. Maybe something else? I dont know. Very, very good idea though.

• isn’t this basically what a Feint, deliberate miss or drag-delay attack already does?

• Swing and miss combo.

Haven’t you heard of that?

Very good against a man at arms.

You bait them in closer an combo them.

Worse case scenario is a hit trade.

And it has a minimal stamina cost already.

• Yeah i know about the miss and combo, that is what i meant about ‘whiffing’ an attack (also including feinting in that term even though i don’t use feinting).

But this is not as aggressive as what i’m suggesting.
    What i propose:
    -costs less time, you are immediately attacking and hitting (as opposed to feint) forcing the target to either evade, block, or attack.
    -is more committed for both the attacker and the target: the attacker is closing in and going for a hit straight away, they’re not about to feint cancel and maybe back away. The target is also commited to making a decision.
    -Is more aggressive and decisive then any other combat opening that we have available for the scenario mentioned in the OP. The attacker already has his plan and he is executing it and intends to get as close as possible to his target and get the fight over with.

In my mind what this all boils down to is being given the other side of the coin compared to what we have now:
    -One side of the coin (as it is now) you sit and do nothing and get rewarded for it
    -The other side of the coin should be that you can be rewarded for being aggressive. This idea allows for that to happen.

• So in other words you want to make it more OP.

It should never be a 100% succesful tactic. Your attacker can do what he wants to do.

• I don’t want it to be OP,
    I just find it slow and boring when people refuse to throw an attack and seek to only fight via riposte attacks.
    I don’t think you should be rewarded with riposte attacks for sitting there and doing nothing. That tactic seeks to overcome by game mechanic, not by being clever and outwitting your opponent.

• @giantyak:

I don’t want it to be OP,
    I just find it slow and boring when people refuse to throw an attack and seek to only fight via riposte attacks.
    I don’t think you should be rewarded with riposte attacks for sitting there and doing nothing. That tactic seeks to overcome by game mechanic, not by being clever and outwitting your opponent.

In all honesty though… the scenario you are describing is why feinting is in the game. It is extremely useful even if a large part of the player base sees it cheap.

• Its similar to feinting, but with my suggestion your forcing the other player to commit to something, whereas, with feinting the target can just ignore the feint and parry the real attack (if and when it comes) or they can just go ahead and attack through the feint.

I think i’d call this mechanism ‘a switch’

• So you want an attack the enemy cant do anything about???

• ^^ that’s what it sounds like to me … you want them not to be able to force a parry against you, so that you have free will to shove your sword in his arsehole free of charge. Keep in mind that everyone else in the game will be able to do that so you’d change the meta of the game to using only that type of attack since it would virtually be a guarantee’d hit damn near. This IS what feints, whiffed attacks into combos, and drags are for.

• @Towe:

So you want an attack the enemy cant do anything about???

Not true at all. They can either:
    -attack first when they see you coming
    -hit trade
    -parry or block.
    -any of the above for the second attack that follows.
    -they can try and step out of the way
    -they can take the first blow and then attack before the second windup is complete.

I have realised though that what i am describing is already available but in a more superior form:
    riposte which comes at a greater speed….

:?

• judging by your OP, riposte is exactly what you do NOT want.

• But riposte is more powerful then this mechanism i was proposing….so the idea is dead in the water.