[ARCH] Javelin Basic Tips

• @funthomass:

It is a great guide, you should have mentioned that getting good with the javelins takes long time, much longer than some of the melee weapons. I´ve spent 2-3 days playing just with the short-spears before I started to do really well.

2 more things:

You need to know where are the ammo boxes on the maps as on some maps´ stages there may not be any or stupidly placed. Going back and resupplying yourself helped me generate a lot of success!

Salvaging javelins from dead bodies is also very important, saves you time.

True,i forgot to mention those things,thanks for the input funthomass

• nice video on the ranged use of the Javelin class. i’d highlight though that it’s also a melee class, and you should be doing a lot of stabs and shield-pokes, preserving the Javs for intimidation and opportune targets.

• @Deadpan:

nice video on the ranged use of the Javelin class. i’d highlight though that it’s also a melee class, and you should be doing a lot of stabs and shield-pokes, preserving the Javs for intimidation and opportune targets.

SAdly i’m not good at stabbing with the javelin and the shield to parry takes a lot of stamina and it makes really hard to respond to melee attacks,but i’ll train and see if i figure something out

• Nice intro guide, it gives you a nice diving board for getting into the mindset of a javelineer. Here are a few more doohickies to consider if you want some more nitty gritty stuff:

Weapon Tracers. Look at them, study, learn what you can do with them. Most players think the stab goes straight forward but it does not. All javelins begin their stab slightly behind you to the right and come in from an angle, giving your stab a curve of sorts that you can exploit to your advantage. Run to the right and try to stab around a shield. Or run straight at him, turn left and use your silly tracer to hit around the shield with the beginning of your attack. Feign running away by darting left while stabbing your opponent off-screen.

The Buckler. It’s tough but it’s actually better now. Take advantage of your overhead; it’s fast and can catch opponents off-guard. Your attack begins off screen just like the stab, and you can actually hit people behind you and directly to your left with it. This means that you don’t have to attack people directly in front of you with both of your attacks. In fact, you can actually hit anything 270 degrees in front of you given that their in range! The buckler also has some knockback to it, so you can use it as a pushing ability if you need to, maybe even enough distance to throw a short spear if your gutsy.

Another thing to note: The javelin stab will never hit anything on the left side of the screen. The buckler will never hit anything on the right. Plan your attacks accordingly.

Never get hit in recovery! If you do, you’re dead. Similar to the crossbow, a javelin recovering from a throw will repeat its reload animation after getting hit. The last patch brought down recovery times by a significant amount (35% in the heavy’s case), but the risk is still there. So if you feel like taking a close range throw, you better not miss. If you do, your options are duck or die.

If you land a stab on your opponent, stab again. Javelins are faster now, you can usually squeeze a second stab in if your opponent goes for a counter attack instead of parrying. And who says javelins can’t combo?

Backstab. The javelin is uniquely suited to take advantage of the backstab ability for than juicy 50% extra damage. If you want to maximize your damage output, don’t get engaged in 1v1s but instead run around to different engagements and try to squeeze a backstab in to help a friendly. A note on special dazes: Even with 2 seconds of stun time, I still haven’t been able to pull off a backstab after a shield bash, so the actual surface area you’re given to make a backstab is more or less the area between your opponents shoulder blades. If you manage to get a backstab though, please share!

• @dilbadil:

Nice intro guide, it gives you a nice diving board for getting into the mindset of a javelineer. Here are a few more doohickies to consider if you want some more nitty gritty stuff:

Weapon Tracers. Look at them, study, learn what you can do with them. Most players think the stab goes straight forward but it does not. All javelins begin their stab slightly behind you to the right and come in from an angle, giving your stab a curve of sorts that you can exploit to your advantage. Run to the right and try to stab around a shield. Or run straight at him, turn left and use your silly tracer to hit around the shield with the beginning of your attack. Feign running away by darting left while stabbing your opponent off-screen.

The Buckler. It’s tough but it’s actually better now. Take advantage of your overhead; it’s fast and can catch opponents off-guard. Your attack begins off screen just like the stab, and you can actually hit people behind you and directly to your left with it. This means that you don’t have to attack people directly in front of you with both of your attacks. In fact, you can actually hit anything 270 degrees in front of you given that their in range! The buckler also has some knockback to it, so you can use it as a pushing ability if you need to, maybe even enough distance to throw a short spear if your gutsy.

Another thing to note: The javelin stab will never hit anything on the left side of the screen. The buckler will never hit anything on the right. Plan your attacks accordingly.

Never get hit in recovery! If you do, you’re dead. Similar to the crossbow, a javelin recovering from a throw will repeat its reload animation after getting hit. The last patch brought down recovery times by a significant amount (35% in the heavy’s case), but the risk is still there. So if you feel like taking a close range throw, you better not miss. If you do, your options are duck or die.

If you land a stab on your opponent, stab again. Javelins are faster now, you can usually squeeze a second stab in if your opponent goes for a counter attack instead of parrying. And who says javelins can’t combo?

Backstab. The javelin is uniquely suited to take advantage of the backstab ability for than juicy 50% extra damage. If you want to maximize your damage output, don’t get engaged in 1v1s but instead run around to different engagements and try to squeeze a backstab in to help a friendly. A note on special dazes: Even with 2 seconds of stun time, I still haven’t been able to pull off a backstab after a shield bash, so the actual surface area you’re given to make a backstab is more or less the area between your opponents shoulder blades. If you manage to get a backstab though, please share!

Great tips man,those are really helpful,good job :)

• yeah, dragging to the left with a stab increases chances to hit, or to get around a shield, or to stab them in the back if they try to run around you to your left. and a lot of players aim their shield at your Javelin, so sometimes the shield-poke can get around from the left.
    and do try not to hit allies to your right when you stab.

also your Javelin has to charge up quite a while, but enemies can’t easily read it, and the actual stab is a pretty quick motion, so while Feints are probably not very useful, with good timing you can often stab them while they’re charging their attack by running into them, sometimes you’ll flinch them, or sometimes they’ll miss if you dodge their attack right after hitting them, although sometimes it’s a hit-trade which is almost always in their advantage (be very careful of Maul, Double Axe, Bardiche and Zeihander, as they one-hit-kill you).

but often there are better options for you than a straight up engagement, at least against a skilled oponent. both with stabs and throws, and lets not forget backstab bonus, the Javelineer is quite an opportunist, but not a rogue. it’s far better in 2 v 2 or 3 v 3 than 1 v 1 in my experience. i love pretending to go after one enemy, only to turn and backstab/throw the other whose facing my ally.

sorry, you guys got me going.

• @Deadpan:

yeah, dragging to the left with a stab increases chances to hit, or to get around a shield, or to stab them in the back if they try to run around you to your left. and a lot of players aim their shield at your Javelin, so sometimes the shield-poke can get around from the left.
    and do try not to hit allies to your right when you stab.

also your Javelin has to charge up quite a while, but enemies can’t easily read it, and the actual stab is a pretty quick motion, so while Feints are probably not very useful, with good timing you can often stab them while they’re charging their attack by running into them, sometimes you’ll flinch them, or sometimes they’ll miss if you dodge their attack right after hitting them, although sometimes it’s a hit-trade which is almost always in their advantage (be very careful of Maul, Double Axe, Bardiche and Zeihander, as they one-hit-kill you).

but often there are better options for you than a straight up engagement, at least against a skilled oponent. both with stabs and throws, and lets not forget backstab bonus, the Javelineer is quite an opportunist, but not a rogue. it’s far better in 2 v 2 or 3 v 3 than 1 v 1 in my experience. i love pretending to go after one enemy, only to turn and backstab/throw the other whose facing my ally.

sorry, you guys got me going.

True man,hit-trade is common,especially with the heavy javelin and parrying takes away a lot of stamina against two handers,1v1 should be avoided if possible.

• yeah. except if they’re wounded. i just remembered if they’re wounded enough you kill them with your stab and that should prevent the hit-trade.

• ^ Jousting! I do not recommend trying this with the short spear =)

• With the heavy javelin you can be one deadly mofo. Both at range and in melee.

• This game can be so frustrating.

What should i do against a guy who goes up to my face and just combo slashes me in all eternity with a weapon that is faster than mine? Keeps bashing me into submission.

Whenever i block, either by hitting “F” or left-mouse button, i can’t seem to land a counterattack afterward before he hits me once again doing his combo thingy. Eventually i run out of stamina because of all the blocking. They never block, feint or kick me they just spam the same combo over and over again.
    Is there enough room, enough time, to theoretically land a strike after i’ve shield bashed him? I always get too cocky after shield bashing and try to strike him, but he gets me first; my attack fails; i stagger; i get impaled.

I am becoming pretty good with the shield, but all i usually do is run around blocking people who, obviously because they don’t know better, just mindlessly keeps bashing at me. Usually i end up with a score that says 3/10 or something and then i quit and the only kills i do get is from a lucky throw.

Also, a question, does overhead battle-hammer stagger/paralyze? Sometimes when i get hit, i just stand there and can’t block or parry.

• @Elessar:

This game can be so frustrating.

What should i do against a guy who goes up to my face and just combo slashes me in all eternity with a weapon that is faster than mine? Keeps bashing me into submission.

Whenever i block, either by hitting “F” or left-mouse button, i can’t seem to land a counterattack afterward before he hits me once again doing his combo thingy. Eventually i run out of stamina because of all the blocking. They never block, feint or kick me they just spam the same combo over and over again.
    Is there enough room, enough time, to theoretically land a strike after i’ve shield bashed him? I always get too cocky after shield bashing and try to strike him, but he gets me first; my attack fails; i stagger; i get impaled.

I am becoming pretty good with the shield, but all i usually do is run around blocking people who, obviously because they don’t know better, just mindlessly keeps bashing at me. Usually i end up with a score that says 3/10 or something and then i quit and the only kills i do get is from a lucky throw.

Also, a question, does overhead battle-hammer stagger/paralyze? Sometimes when i get hit, i just stand there and can’t block or parry.

avoid fighting 1v1 with javelin,you can’t delay the attack or make it faster and you can’t combo.My advice is to swtich to secondary weapon or use shield parry + throw to take the enemy off guard,but it’s a high risk move

• Whenever i block, either by hitting “F” or left-mouse button, i can’t seem to land a counterattack afterward before he hits me once again doing his combo thingy. Eventually i run out of stamina because of all the blocking. They never block, feint or kick me they just spam the same combo over and over again.

yes that what’s happens against light weapons. very annoying. you can’t do anything at all except block, and after four or five hits your stamina is depleted and you’re dead.

i concur with Andrea, even though i think Javelins or Heavy Javelins are stronger melee weapons in most situations than a secondary (because of damage and reach), you don’t want to be caught out one on one with your Javelin in your hand against a MAA, or an Archer with his secondary out, if they know what they’re doing.

• My favorite class, nice guide! Allow me to add a few of my thoughts:

1. Melee: For most situations, I actually recommend switching to your secondary weapon without the buckler. The javelin melee tracers are tricky to learn, and the ability to combo and riposte is essential against multiple opponents or a skilled duelist. The buckler stamina/view issues are also a problem in large fights. I usually only engage with javelin melee against opponents with their back turned. I should note that TB considers the stab animation and punch tracers to be bugs, and will be fixing them soon! Hooray.

2. Loadout Choice: Generally, either the first javelins or the short spears will be the proper choice for engagements. The heavy javelins are pretty unremarkable in my opinion. Usually, if the opposing team is archer heavy, I will take the standard javelins as the ability to oneshot archers is invaluable. If the opposing team is more melee heavy, I’ll take the short spears which have great DPS and absolutely destroy melee classes when thrown well.

3. Throw and Shield Bash: This is pretty much the bread and butter for javelineers. Basically, land one javelin at mid range, and when they get eager to finish it in close range, counter with your shield punch, which is much faster than most anticipate. This one-two combo will rack up the majority of your kills while preserving your ammunition. The secret to this is to learn how to aim at evading opponents. Don’t panic when you see them coming at you and immediately throw, take your time and lead your shot. Most people will not vary their running patterns beyond zig-zagging left and right predictably, so lead accordingly. If they do mix in pauses and random dodges, pretend to throw one, cancel, and engage in melee.

4. Again as Dilbadil pointed out, but I must re-emphasize it: Never get hit in recovery as you will be stunned and subsequently unable to raise your buckler in time for any ensuing combo. I think Sly mentioned that they consider this to be a bug, but I am not entirely sure.

5. Footwork: Footwork is very important for archers as they have low armor values. Make sure you have a good understanding of footwork, and if you can, incorporate ducks, which can be extremely powerful in the right situations. Why block if you can just evade?

• The javelins are terrible melee weapons. They are great for throwing though. The only time I use my jav’s melee is when I’ve landed a thrown jav. Otherwise I’m much better off switching to my shortsword and putting the crapukler away. Riposte is much better than a Buckler block (stamina draining, vision impairing, uncountering piece of junk).

• Just registered and this is the first thread I read…waiting on the download…

I Enjoyed the video and am looking forward this style of a skirmisher.

• @jeremiahn:

Just registered and this is the first thread I read…waiting on the download…

Come on man, don’t let your first class played be the archer. :)

• It’s my archetype. Backstab +50% sealed the deal.

• I’ve seen a pretty deadly maneuver used to compensate for the boring predictability of javelin melee by a few skilled players. In close/mid range charge up a throw, then while your character is still lifting up the jav you can cancel(feint) with Q and stab as fast as you can. The animation looks strange and because you are charging a throw (maybe at unsafe distance) it causes your enemy to charge in to attack, but your stab comes out too quick and interrupts their attack. The beauty about this trick is that canceling a melee throw costs no stamina whatsoever, so you can constantly charge a throw, and cancel it as many times as you want with no stamina drain. This will help you mix up your opponent and make them second guess engaging you just because you are winding up.

• @jeremiahn:

Just registered and this is the first thread I read…waiting on the download…

I was very disappointed when using javelins when I first started out. They are much more ranged based than the skirmishers of AOC. The melee is pretty much a joke with javelins and their range damage is huge, making you just an akward archer that fights at a too close for comfort range rather than a quick versatile close range support monster that skirmishers were.