[ARCH] Javelin Basic Tips

• @jeremiahn:

Just registered and this is the first thread I read…waiting on the download…

I Enjoyed the video and am looking forward this style of a skirmisher.

Come on man, don’t let your first class played be the archer. :)

• It’s my archetype. Backstab +50% sealed the deal.

• I’ve seen a pretty deadly maneuver used to compensate for the boring predictability of javelin melee by a few skilled players. In close/mid range charge up a throw, then while your character is still lifting up the jav you can cancel(feint) with Q and stab as fast as you can. The animation looks strange and because you are charging a throw (maybe at unsafe distance) it causes your enemy to charge in to attack, but your stab comes out too quick and interrupts their attack. The beauty about this trick is that canceling a melee throw costs no stamina whatsoever, so you can constantly charge a throw, and cancel it as many times as you want with no stamina drain. This will help you mix up your opponent and make them second guess engaging you just because you are winding up.

• @jeremiahn:

Just registered and this is the first thread I read…waiting on the download…

I Enjoyed the video and am looking forward this style of a skirmisher.

I was very disappointed when using javelins when I first started out. They are much more ranged based than the skirmishers of AOC. The melee is pretty much a joke with javelins and their range damage is huge, making you just an akward archer that fights at a too close for comfort range rather than a quick versatile close range support monster that skirmishers were.

• @nermanater:

I was very disappointed when using javelins when I first started out. They are much more ranged based than the skirmishers of AOC. The melee is pretty much a joke with javelins and their range damage is huge, making you just an akward archer that fights at a too close for comfort range rather than a quick versatile close range support monster that skirmishers were.

When I was reading this post, I recognized a very familiar reply coming to mind–one that I espoused for years on the Daoc Hunter IGN board. It occurred to me that the peculiar familiarity extended to the two “classes” Hunter and Javelinerooni, so much actually that it is a little shocking. I won’t bore you with a breakdown of it. But basically, Hunter was a punishing class to play unless you played it in a specific way–as an opportunist (as opposed to a faceroller.)

I have had very satisfying success when I stuck to the plan. There’s just something about that heavy jav toss! But if I get tunnel-vision, it’s over. I’m trying to learn to utilize the range the melee jav provides. That will come with time. The way I look at not having parry etc. is it is forcing me as a new player to utilize a narrow set of tools. Hopefully that means I will become competent with effective use of kick for example.

• Weapon Tracers. Look at them, study, learn what you can do with them. Most players think the stab goes straight forward but it does not. All javelins begin their stab slightly behind you to the right and come in from an angle, giving your stab a curve of sorts that you can exploit to your advantage. Run to the right and try to stab around a shield. Or run straight at him, turn left and use your silly tracer to hit around the shield with the beginning of your attack. Feign running away by darting left while stabbing your opponent off-screen.

thx very much now i can enjoy the heavy jav :D

last time i kinda frustated why so hard to melee attack using jav (always out of range although the enemy is in front of me)

• I would really love to see more Javvy Archers in the competitive community. 10/10. Tempest, my clan, has and is accepting Javvy archers.

• i am working on a new video for the javelin guys,if you want to give more advices and tips i might add em to the next video and give you credits :)

• @AndreaTheArcher:

i am working on a new video for the javelin guys,if you want to give more advices and tips i might add em to the next video and give you credits :)

normal jav
    archer hunt
    balance melee and range

light jav
    no ammo box
    hit and run playstyle
    on melee situation you can have more variation like stab > kick > throw
    too much enemy with shield

Heavy jav
    hardest (low ammo and short range)
    high reward
    aggresive melee (feint on stab also can work)

what if enemy use shield in 1 vs 1 situation

hit their shield is BETTER than you throw the jav and missed it on ground
    why?
    because you can take your jav back from their shield :P

• @Machinata:

@AndreaTheArcher:

i am working on a new video for the javelin guys,if you want to give more advices and tips i might add em to the next video and give you credits :)

normal jav
    archer hunt
    balance melee and range

light jav
    no ammo box
    hit and run playstyle
    on melee situation you can have more variation like stab > kick > throw
    too much enemy with shield

Heavy jav
    hardest (low ammo and short range)
    high reward
    aggresive melee (feint on stab also can work)

what if enemy use shield in 1 vs 1 situation

hit their shield is BETTER than you throw the jav and missed it on ground
    why?
    because you can take your jav back from their shield :P

Thanks for your tips,but you will see in the next video how to beat people with shield and the kick + throw is a great way to take off guard the enemy :)

• yap kick + throw is awesome and it works perfectly with light jav

• @AndreaTheArcher:

avoid fighting 1v1 with javelin,you can’t delay the attack or make it faster and you can’t combo.My advice is to swtich to secondary weapon or use shield parry + throw to take the enemy off guard,but it’s a high risk move

No wai, i’m epic in 1v1 with the javelin 8-) . I melee only (unless my target starts to run away which can be a nuisance) with the javelin and tend to prefer the heavy javelin.

With the shield punch it helps to aim for the right side of the target and down slightly. (someone else has already mentioned pulling the stab to the left side of the target).

Someone else already kinda mentioned this: “never get hit…” (they said); chances are you will die or be 1shot.

Personally I no longer use the javelin player much anymore, even though it is epic at 1v1, because there has been a new bug lately when you hit people in windup and they do not get flinched. This results in a hit trade and, more often then not, your death. So IMO don’t bother with this loadout until this bug is fixed.