Recognition of friends

• In some games you stumble upon this problem: you’re playing with a friend and every guy in your team looks alike. You can only see their names if you’re about 5 metres away and directly looking at them.

This was a major problem in Red Orchestra 2 and one of the reasons I didn’t continue playing it. It’s just frustrating when you finally found your buddy, then one of you dies and you need like 5 minutes to find each other again.

In Mount&Blade this was done fairly easy: everybody has their specific coat of arms above their heads plus they usually have their custom armor on. So there is absolutely no problem finding your mate.

How will this be solved in Chivalry?

I’d suggest that your Steam friends’ names will be highlighted ingame no matter how far they’re away or in which direction you’re looking. And if not the Steam name, than maybe the Steam banner above their heads. That’s how Half-Life 2’s coop mod “Synergy” did it. Works really well.

• I like it…I agree with it being a problem in many games.

I’ll try to play with my friend, but never find them or so.

• Isn’t this something you’re supposed to do by yourself?

I mean, why does the game have to tell you who your friend is.

Hop in a teamspeak and communicate with your buddy, give away your position to each other so you can meet, wait him at spawn so you can start teh fight together, etc…

I don’t think the game has to tell you “Hey look its your buddy”

• The whole point is eliminate hud clutter most games seem to spam all over your screen. As someone said above VOIP eliminates all these issues.

• @-Slash-:

Isn’t this something you’re supposed to do by yourself?

I mean, why does the game have to tell you who your friend is.

Hop in a teamspeak and communicate with your buddy, give away your position to each other so you can meet, wait him at spawn so you can start teh fight together, etc…

I don’t think the game has to tell you “Hey look its your buddy”

Sure, we’re communicating via skype. But that doesn’t solve the problem…

Even if we start on the same spot and run into battle side by side there’s a high probability you get lost in the heat of the battle… there are maybe 10 other team mates right beside us and everybody looks the same. Then if I manage to kill 1-2 foes I need to find my buddy again so I start scanning every team mate in my area. And if he got killed he has to run all the way to where I am and we have to find each other before proceeding. This would be highly unnecessary if he’d stick out of the crowd by any chance.

And here I’m talking about one buddy. The problem will only get worse if you’re trying to cooperate with 3-4 guys.

Knil
    The whole point is eliminate hud clutter most games seem to spam all over your screen. As someone said above VOIP eliminates all these issues.

I’m all for decluttering the screen. But 1-2 banners above your Steam friends’ heads will not be that much of a clutter. It’s only helpful.
    It’s not more clutter than a “defend the king” above the VIP’s head which is already in the game.

• Well, if they could add a toggleable thing like that it’s ok with me.
    I just don’t want them to spend time on such things, if they demand time.

• Emblem customization was a stretch goal on kickstarter, and because of how close the funding got to it I would not be surprised at all to see it make it into the game some time post-release. Probably not very soon though.

• Agree with the post about toggle ability, also agree that this should be low priority for devs. If you’re having difficulty finding friends in game, make use of VoIP and plan rally/rendezvous points ahead of time. If it’s not enough combine it with in game voice commands and/or taunts. You should be able to find your 3-4 friends if they’re all “standing by the trebuchet” flailing about taunting eachother. In the heat of battle, you’re entire team are your buddies. As much as you might like to watch a friends back more than another teammate’s, you should just be helping any fellow Agathian/Mason and less worried about your bros.

• Ditch your friend(s), problem solved.
    …Or was that just my extreme plan?

But yes, as reported I’m sure it’ll get done eventually, but there are so many other things that need changing/implementing right and it’s a small team.

• @CruciformSWORD:

you should just be helping any fellow Agathian/Mason and less worried about your bros.

How altruistic of you ^^

I see, you guys seem to prefer soloing in multiplayer games. When I play I use to stick together with my mates so we’re a small functioning squad within the greater “army” of ours. I see no use in skyping with my buddies as long as everybody is basically playing for himself maybe randomly running into each other from time to time.

• Soloing? No. I’ve already convinced a few of my friends at school get this game. We will use Skype, and indicators will be a non-issue for us (though I agree indicators would be a plus).

@Siegbert:

I see no use in skyping with my buddies as long as everybody is basically playing for himself maybe randomly running into each other from time to time.

Not following the logic there. You say you play as a tight nit squad within the greater army, but you play for yourselves and randomly run into eachother. Seems to be a contradiction i guess.

I was just merely pointing out some workarounds to help us all cope with the lack of indicators at this point in time. Some people might not have thought of them.

Here’s one more:
    I believe the devs have stated that clan servers will allow admins to customize team size. Rent a server, set it to the Arena map and elimination game mode, limit the number of people on a team to the number of friends you have, and all get on the same team. That way everyone on your team’s one of your friends (win). :P

• @CruciformSWORD:

Not following the logic there. You say you play as a tight nit squad within the greater army, but you play for yourselves and randomly run into eachother. Seems to be a contradiction i guess.

I’d like to try to play as a working squad. But that will be hard to organize if the game doesn’t deliver tools to quickly help me recognize who’s in it and who’s not.
    I’m not even asking for squad spawn like in Battlefield or War of the Roses. Highlighted names or banners above my friends’ heads would really meet my demands.

This has lastly been a major issue for me in Red Orchestra 2. They had squads but no feasible mechanic to quickly see who is who on the battlefield. So you were advancing to the front. Then your buddy gets shot.
    Next you literally need a couple of minutes to navigate him towards your location while the action is waging on (without you).

• Just noticed the “Helmet customization” option. So there is at least a bit of customization to stick out of the crowd. Hopefully we’ll see more :)

• I like C:MW’s simple hud just the way it is…

Like other people have said, communicate. If you die, just wait somewhere near the spawn until your friend dies and can join you. Dying is something that happens a lot in C:MW, I honestly think it’s best to just join the battle and know your friend is fighting beside you. Besides, if you aren’t communicating well then there is no point to fighting near each other…

• @Viper:

Besides, if you aren’t communicating well then there is no point to fighting near each other…

Who said we’re not communicating? How do you think communication helps if you’re one figure in a chaotic battle where every single player looks the same?

You will rush in, fight and die before you have the chance to figure out who is who…

• @Siegbert:

You will rush in, fight and die before you have the chance to figure out who is who…

Exactly, it’s a waste of time to join together with your friends…

• Don’t think so… in M&B me and a friend had developed some great working coop tactics that made us nearly invincible if we weren’t facing too many enemies at a time.

I really hope in Chivalry working closely together will play out just as good, given the various possibilities to attack or dodge.

Only fighting on my own in a battle will certainly bore me after a while.

• @Siegbert:

in M&B me and a friend had developed some great working coop tactics

So then it shouldn’t be that hard to find each other! :| I mean, their name appears on your screen if you look at them. That combined with good communication and I don’t see where the problem is…

• As I said:
    one of you dies, the other one is still around. Now #1 respawns, runs up the way to battle. #2 is still in there, fighting along his team mates. #1 approaches the battle field. He sees 10 people looking almost the same. He would have to go as near as 5 metres to each one of them and scan the names to find the correct one.

In M&B it’s like this:
    #1 respawns, he runs all the way to the battle field. He looks out for #2’s banner so he can directly go there and help. No problem at all.
    This is what I want. It’s simple, it doesn’t require much player name scanning, and it can be switched off in the options if you don’t like it.

What problem do you have with it?

edit: the coop tactics I was talking about come into play when closely fighting at each other’s side. The problem of finding each other is a totally different one.

• I miss the recognition of friends too. As you guys stated it is POSSIBLE to find each other, team up and then do something together, however it is a lot of work that can be easily avoided if there was my friend’s name above his head or an icon or something.

Right now everybody looks the same and it is impossible to tell the difference between your mate you are playing together with (and using voip) and everyone else. In shooters it is an industry standard to have squads that show your squadmembers in different colors so you know who your buddys are without searching for them. I am not suggesting to implement any squad mechanics though, that is not needed, but a way to show me my friends in my team would be VERY helpful. And with very helpful I mean the difference between “coop play is okay” and “coop play in this game is really awesome”.

It could just be an option so if you like to see your steam/ingame friends on your hud you can do that. I don’t know why you guys seem to be against convenience - I think it would be a great feature that would help me play with my friends a lot.