Archer staging area (bows only not xbows)

• In medieval times it wasn’t how accurate or sniper like you were with the bow that counted, it was how many arrows you could fire in a given amount of time (whilst being reasonably accurate).

I propose that if archers stand in a certain staging point they receive unlimited arrows and increased firing rate, but slightly reduced damage rate.

The way it works:
    -The staging area is marked by arrows pointing into the ground. (hence the unlimited arrows)
    -The staging areas are in a position that is well back from the melee action. This forces the player to fire their arrows up into the air and have them drop down on the enemy. (hence the damage nurf at the staging point - the arrows wouldn’t carry as much power as an arrow fired from close range)
    -increased firing rate because this method of fire is going to be more inaccurate then the standard.
    -(Bows only and not xbows because xbows can pretty much fire from one end of the map to the other without adding too much elevation.)

Doing it this way TB can control how effective this facility/mechanism is.

This would make TO games really interesting as one side might have their archers bunched together and firing rapidly at safe distance from melee. So they would have many arrows in the air but be less accurate as they are further away and just trying to pump out as many arrows as they can.

The opposing team might chose to let their archers just go separately and ‘snipe’ off the enemy archers in an effort to protect their melee.

Theoretically you could emulate this with the short bow and a number of archers focus firing one area, however, I want their arrows to "block out the SUN >:O "

• First off, i agree with you. In real battle situations, it wasn’t about accuracy as much as arrow Count. But also because there were a huge load of People, Standing in Formation. Not 10-16 People running around frantically :)

Why would they shoot faster if there are two or three of them? I don’t see the logic behind that. The arrow rate which Comes from that hill is gonna be increased by 100-200% anyway, since there is one or two additional archers assisting the on that is allready there.

I’m no sure about it, but i would guess TO would boil down to be like this: Try to avoid the heavy fire. Die repeatedly in arrow hails. Change to archer to have atleast the slightest Chance to give it back to those archers :D If you have a good defensive Position nobody would be able to reach you anymore, as you could just spam fire on a certain chokepoint.
    I Play as a Vanguard mostly. And equipped with the Zweihänder i can one-hit archers with an Overhead to the torso. But only if i reach them. Now charging one archer is pretty simple. But charging two or three… atleast one of them is gonna hit you while sprinting. And then you’re easy Prey for the other two, especially if they would have 10% faster fire rate. I just feel like the archers are strong enough as they are. Not really overpowered just viable for choosing.

I would like to try if it is possible to block out the sun in chiv :P A Team of 16 shortbows might be hilarious :D

• Yeah i get what you’re saying, i just don’t think that a group of 5-6 archers are going to be able to create a hale of arrows without some firing rate help. It’d be fun to see i think.

I too play VG (polehammer though), but i wouldnt be worried about an inaccurate hale of fire. I guess it would just be an experience to have - running amongst the arrows, with friend and foe, a like, falling about you…running amongst the arrows, then throwing a smoke bomb…running a bit more and then lopping some archer heads…or in my case splattering heads :)

• As if we didn’t have enough bloody archers already -__-

• There’s been far fewer archers in the TO games i’ve been in, i almost miss them ;)

• I guess thats true… 5-6 archers would not be enough to create a halestorm of arrows :)

Now that you say it, from a atmospheric Point of view it would be fabulous! Really feeling how much of a struggle it was to maneuver yourself over the battlefield, dodging arrows and always be vigilant, because one Moment of distraction and you got an arrow sticking out the back of your neck ;)

But then there’s also the question of Balance. And with a fire-rate buff when in Teams, the archers would be too strong imo.

But i can visualize the Picture you talked about in my head 8-) and it would most definitely be a atmosphere to behold.

• No. No no no no no no no no no. NO!

I’ve played Hillside last night, Trebuchet 3 was the last one to destory, the Mason team had fucking 9 Archers, 1 Vanguard and 2 Knights and it was a bloody mess!

At least 5 of those little pricks were camping at the Trebuchet and the rest was at Treb 2, nailing us from behind as soon as we were running on the bridge.
    Imaginging that they could be having increased fire rate or some other buffs is just devastating.

Yes, heavy arrowy fire would be more atmospheric and more realistic, but this game is about FUN. I mean you can punch peoples’ heads off with your fists.

So no. Your idea sounds fun in theory and on paper, but fighting 2 Archers with a small weapon is hard enough (if they’re not total retards and don’t know how to block or how to STAB YOU TO DEATH); Archers are imo way too easy to play and way too rewarding.

LMB spam is nothing compared to a lucky Warbow Archer. :D

Thanks, but no thanks. Chivalry is supposed to be mostly melee-focused and buffing Archers is not gonna convince anyone out there to play anything else but Archers.

• As an Archer I totally disagree on this. It makes no sense that you get a bonus from standing next to an other archer. This wouldn’t make TO games more interesting, it would kill it. There then will be enough archer limit servers or servers with archer being disabled.

And only imagine all the teamhits when there is a rain of arrows.

It might sound fun, but in my opinion this is a terrible idea.

• No. Hard coded bonuses like this are horrible for a game like this. If you want the “rain of arrows” effect, get together some archers and have them stand in a line somewhere near a chokepoint or objective and fire into combat. A team of GOOD archers can totally wreck a game all on their own.

Teamwork is an essential skill in a game like this

• @Event:

No. Hard coded bonuses like this are horrible for a game like this.

Agree.

• yes, please buff archers even more, they totally need it.

I hope you can detect my HINT of sarcasm.

• @clayton-bigsby:

yes, please buff archers even more, they totally need it.

What is wrong with you? Archers do NOT need ANY MORE buffs. Go play CoD if you want ranged combat!! /s

• ^^ i guess he didn’t detect the hint.

• What if there was an ‘archer staging area’ which is well back from the combat and then the archers would have to fire up and drop the arrows down into the enemy rather then firing flat line/sniper style.

@Event:

What is wrong with you? Archers do NOT need ANY MORE buffs. Go play CoD if you want ranged combat!! /s

I don’t play archer….i haven’t even unlocked the tier 2 xbow. There are very few archers on the servers i play on, its almost like they aren’t really part of the game.

• the only ‘archer staging areas’ are high ground built naturally into the level. Only 64 player servers (with half their 32-man team being archers) would be sufficient for arrow-spam tactics. The only reason Hollywood makes arrow spam seem so cool is because there are literally hundreds of archers near the frontlines raining arrows down on the enemy.

• 64 man servers are hardly even playable for most. The pings range from 100 - 1000

• @Event:

the only ‘archer staging areas’ are high ground built naturally into the level. Only 64 player servers (with half their 32-man team being archers) would be sufficient for arrow-spam tactics. The only reason Hollywood makes arrow spam seem so cool is because there are literally hundreds of archers near the frontlines raining arrows down on the enemy.

This is the reason you’d need a rate of fire buff when you’re firing from an archer staging area.

I have edited the OP to reflect everyones’ contributions and concerns.

This idea is not proposed to make archers OP but to better the atmosphere of the game and add another dimension to tactics.

• @giantyak:

@Event:

the only ‘archer staging areas’ are high ground built naturally into the level. Only 64 player servers (with half their 32-man team being archers) would be sufficient for arrow-spam tactics. The only reason Hollywood makes arrow spam seem so cool is because there are literally hundreds of archers near the frontlines raining arrows down on the enemy.

This is the reason you’d need a rate of fire buff when you’re firing from an archer staging area.

I have edited the OP to reflect everyones’ contributions and concerns.

This idea is not proposed to make archers OP but to better the atmosphere of the game and add another dimension to tactics.

You’d be surprised how much havoc a FEW good archers can wreak on an opposing team.

• Not to bash on you or shoot down your idea, but it seems like this would just encourage archers to be more useless than the vast majority of them already are. Good archers either stay with their team or pick off other people parallel or adjacent to their team. Or they provide counter-archer fire.

I’ve seen a lot of archers just sit at the “Event Horizon” (point of no return, sort of) at the spawn and try to do something like this, it just ends up being extremely irritating to their own team.

And an arrow being lobbed from a bow over a distance of, say, 200 yards would not decelerate upon it’s downward trajectory. To get an arrow that far, you would need a pretty good angle (I’ve done a bit of longbow long-range shooting in my time, using traditional gear) and it would in fact accelerate as gravity acts on it (assuming the fletchings didn’t overpower gravity) and it would approach a velocity near to that upon its release.

But in general, this game doesn’t revolve around AOEs and bonuses and the like. And then you need knights to get a bonus to HP if they’re in a group, and MAA gets a movement speed bonus and it just gets wacky from there.

• @Carolean:

Not to bash on you or shoot down your idea, but it seems like this would just encourage archers to be more useless than the vast majority of them already are. Good archers either stay with their team or pick off other people parallel or adjacent to their team. Or they provide counter-archer fire.

I’ve seen a lot of archers just sit at the “Event Horizon” (point of no return, sort of) at the spawn and try to do something like this, it just ends up being extremely irritating to their own team.

And an arrow being lobbed from a bow over a distance of, say, 200 yards would not decelerate upon it’s downward trajectory. To get an arrow that far, you would need a pretty good angle (I’ve done a bit of longbow long-range shooting in my time, using traditional gear) and it would in fact accelerate as gravity acts on it (assuming the fletchings didn’t overpower gravity) and it would approach a velocity near to that upon its release.

But in general, this game doesn’t revolve around AOEs and bonuses and the like. And then you need knights to get a bonus to HP if they’re in a group, and MAA gets a movement speed bonus and it just gets wacky from there.

Yeah. this is a skill based game. If you want arbitrary bonuses and skills, MMOs would be perfect for you.

Although, a MMO with chiv combat would be fuckin awesome.