In Game Moderation

• I’m wondering if the devs have ever actually banned someone from the game, temporarily or not. I’ve seen players here that make the League of Legends player base look like heaven.
    I think a big part of this is the fact there is absolutely no moderation. People can do whatever they want without any punishment. I am currently VERY angry because I was just in a game where a guy got kicked. He came back next round, trolled more, got kicked again. Another round, more trolling, kicked again.
    He then brought in multiple clan members and kicked two innocent people successfully. There are more toxic players in this game than any other game I’ve ever seen, and there’s absolutely nothing being done. It completely ruins the experience of the game. Especially because you can’t mute them over text. You can mute their voice, but not texts.
    Having such an absolutely horrid player base is detrimental to a game. It’s why I left LoL for DoTA. I’ve met a few very nice players in my time playing this game, but I’ve seen FAR more toxic players. Any form of moderation at all would be wonderful.
    Thanks.

• Yeah, something should be done. Maybe if there aren’t enough active employees available or whatever that could do it, Torn Banner could find some trusted and reliable members of the community to help out and moderate player behavior. They, themselves, would also have to be monitored to make sure they’re not abusing the power granted to them as well. I don’t know, but there really should be some kind of way to get rid of trolls and generally toxic people in the game. If I could play without people flaming or abusing animation glitches, that’d be wonderful.

• We’ve only banned hackers.

• If someone is flaming and being a hard enough troll to warrant a kick. Then a votekick should suffice, since everyone else should have a problem with it too. Now if its like a small number of people and most of the people are griefing the server, then I recommend reaching out the moderator’s steam group to get that rectified. But for normal play, go the democratic way and people will press yes if the trolling is really bad.

• In my experience the trolling has only recently gotten worse, and I’m willing to bet it’s the atmosphere introduced by all the sales people. More players will likely mean some less serious players, and some less serious players will likely mean some hardcore griefers and trolls are around.

I know everyone always said the community was bad before, but I always got the impression a lot of it was badasses just rolling over lower levels and making it harder for them to want to play anymore. Now I’m beginning to experience the frustrating part of the community, and it’s your normal trollers just trying to piss people off and make your experience as bad as they possibly can.

One thing I see more often now that I can’t kick for is in duel modes (a lot of the reason you can’t kick for it, unless it’s the last match and people are watching it). some players will accuse me of hacking (hacking=combos, because they don’t know about combos yet), choose the fastest character class (archer or maa), and literally run from me. There goal is just to run, while I pursue. The last guy told me “hackers don’t deserve to win” and ran the clock down until I was on the final countdowns (past the 30 second warning). I finally got him, but it’s just absurd there’s nothing I can do about this.

I had 4-5 of these matches yesterday.

Also experiencing a lot of purposeful team killing at spawns, even in LTS matches. Saw the king get ganged by his own team again yesterday… the usual stuff, it still happens.

• @SlyGoat:

We’ve only banned hackers.

One more, you give an answer that misses the point. We’re talking about offensive/racist people. We’re tired of playing with such trolls… Will you do anything against that or don’t you care ?

• @Junanagou:

One more, you give an answer that misses the point. We’re talking about offensive/racist people. We’re tired of playing with such trolls… Will you do anything against that or don’t you care ?

We currently don’t ban for people who type mean things in chat. Like I said, the best thing is to votekick the person who is hurting your feelings. If enough people feel hurt as well, then the vote will succeed.

• @ChuckingIt:

We currently don’t ban for people who type mean things in chat. Like I said, the best thing is to votekick the person who is hurting your feelings. If enough people feel hurt as well, then the vote will succeed.

If you had read my post you would know that he had been kicked THREE times. After that a few people left and he got his clan buddies to come in and completely abuse the kick system by kicking the people who were kicking him. So, no. It will not always succeed.
    A lot of the time, Toxic players are either very new players who can’t control their rage at never getting kills (which is excusable) or high ranked players who are cocky douchebags (which is not excusable).

• @sirwartooth:

If you had read my post you would know that he had been kicked THREE times. After that a few people left and he got his clan buddies to come in and completely abuse the kick system by kicking the people who were kicking him. So, no. It will not always succeed.
    A lot of the time, Toxic players are either very new players who can’t control their rage at never getting kills (which is excusable) or high ranked players who are cocky douchebags (which is not excusable).

If you had read my first reply you would have seen

@ChuckingIt:

Now if its like a small number of people and most of the people are griefing the server, then I recommend reaching out the moderator’s steam group to get that rectified. But for normal play, go the democratic way and people will press yes if the trolling is really bad.

My first reply said if it got out of hand due to a group, then contacting a moderator is the way to go. We can temp ban them.

• 1. Was this on an Official Server? If yes, we have power, if not, it’s not the devs nor the mod’s responsibility here.

2. Even if it is an Official Server, “policing” them all is not feasible, and we also do this voluntarily. Users have a range of options to help specify who they want to deal with, votekick and mute options being the main ones, as well as the ability to switch off chat.

3. We will not permaban because someone’s feelings got hurt. It is hard to draw the line on what is “offensive”, and would result in how things are in real-life today where saying “hello” or even looking at someone can bring “offense”. We’d rather people be free to express themselves in this 18+ game, where that expression isn’t directly aimed at someone else that is.

4. If someone is being a dick, votekick!

5. If that doesn’t work, (or there are more of them than legitimate players) AND it’s on an Official server, check to see if one of us mods are online in the Mod Group (link in my sig), add us temporarily, tell us the server, and we can come and help out (if not busy with something else. again, this is voluntary, I’m at work all day so even if I’m on Steam I may be doing something personal like cooking or whatever).

6. People just being general tosspots will be given a warning, then kicked if continue. If they attempt to rejoin and carry on with the same behaviour, temp bans will be issued. We can also cancel ongoing votekicks.

It is not the developer’s responsibility to state how players play or behave, only provide tools to help players personally customise their social options, which they have done. Saying that I don’t like twats in games either, but still this is the fault of the players themselves, not the game.

I’ve personally banned one hacker I believe, and only kicked a couple of others. Never had to do much more than warn.

• It was on an official server, and he had been kicked 3 times. My feelings weren’t “hurt”. It’s just that it makes it hard to want to play with such an obnoxious playerbase.

• That wasn’t aimed at you specifically, it’s that we’ve been called to ban users for alsorts of silly reasons, just because someone said something that another didn’t like (and didn’t even mean it in any negative way).

Just trying to highlight that we can’t really go laying out bans willy nilly for that sorta stuff. The votekick system gives the facility to handle it, otherwise again we mods have no problem with coming and giving them a slap if their intention is purely to make the experience shite for others. :)

Just don’t expect us to police the servers that’s all.

• Huh didn’t know you couldn’t mute text, thats lame.

p.s. I think you can.

• More than a handful of moderators for official servers would be nice

• @Josh:

More than a handful of moderators for official servers would be nice

Agreed

• It’s the internet.

There will be trolls, morons, trolls, pisspots, trolls, and more trolls. It’s just the way it is.

I’ve been arbitrarily votekicked a few times, and what I’ve learned is that, most of the time, if the majority of the server wants you gone, you f*ed up somewhere.

Sometimes just being the only player using chat in a heated battle is enough for people to get butthurt. Sometimes, people will kick you for the sheer hell of it. Just find one server, establish yourself in its ecosystem, and you’ll usually have a much more positive play experience.

• If you find something someone says offensive do not reply. Don’t get yourself in any arguments at all.

And if there are others in the chat try making yourself sound like a nice guy.

Don’t retaliate to teamkills.

Or anything for that matter.

• Lemon’s

here

to

save

the

day!

• besides the occasional berating people for inferior skill, grammar or ethnicity, or ganging up on vulnerable people such as young children, or psychologically destroying someone with incessant bigotry, insults and belittling, or encouraging suicide, i don’t see that much negativity going on.

i kid. i see some hassle, but nothing i’d consider serious, although the racial slurring is a bit awkward

• @Deadpan:

ganging up on vulnerable people such as young children

Game is 18+ :P

And more mods wouldn’t necessarily help. There’s still no guarantee that any of them would be online and available, with it being purely voluntary, and also due to that and if there were lots of them, it would be hard to manage to make sure you don’t get anyone abusing their power or mistaking who’s the aggressor.

This isn’t like Blizzard where they have an entire professional, trained, paid, employed, contract bound and audited department for such things. Also the more “Official” support is put in place for Chivalry, the more people will expect that is consistently maintained (how far into the future?) and also put in place for Torn Banner’s future games. A tad too much to expect from an indie studio.

You’re still in the same situation with Private servers anyway, just of course those can appoint as many admins as they wish and have to manage a smaller amount of servers. I can’t remember ever having servers being policed when I used to play counter-strike and so on, we just relied on vote kicking or someone knowing one of the server admins and giving him a shout, or simply switching server if someone was being an arse.

Some of the mods for forgive / punish teamkills worked well though, as well as a larger array of admin tools (slap / immolate / explode etc) to deal with people being arseholes. I hope Torn Banner implements a few of those.

If there were no tools such as votekick, muting voice / chat, switching chat off and so on, I’d be agreeing though, but as it stands now, mods are (and should be) a last resort. We’re just here to give what little help that we can. :)