If you don't have secondary out when enemies are close…

• when you’re playing archer it’s your fault.

What happened to that? I remember when if you got near an archer in close range and he still had his bow/crossbow out then it was an easy kill, they would whine and everyone would say “good archers have their secondary out with plenty of time to spare when enemies get close.”

Now every archer has their bow/crossbow out in those ranges and do just fine. When did this change and why?

• @SOC:

Now every archer has their bow/crossbow out in those ranges and do just fine.

Could you elaborate on that? Do fine how?

Able to hit you and kill you with ranged weapons when you get close? Able to quickly pull out their side arms? Able to run away?

The last group of sales for this game has left me finding that archers will sit there and aim their bows at me up until their heads are cut off, but I’m sure you find much better archers to fight than I do.

• Hit you, kill you, land the shot, get their secondary out before you can kill them even after you land a hit in. In the old days if you had your primary out when an enemy was close you were automatically dead, no ifs ands or buts. They could try to run, but were often killed with the chase mechanic before they could get their secondary out. Why did this change all of a sudden?

• @SOC:

Why did this change all of a sudden?

Some good archers like to do this as well – high risk, high reward though.

It’s either because they’re feeling confident, or they realized you are too close for them to switch anyway, so they might as well go for the shot.

• I do like the ones that will still try to fully reload a heavy crossbow when the enemy they missed is 2 feet away. Maybe their PC’s are setup near a lot of opened tins of paint thinner and industrial glue.

• Personally, I find it annoying when I’m a vanguard or shieldless whatever and I’m zigzagging a crossbow who never fires his bolt until I’m 1 foot away. Even though it’s easier to run around them at the close distance, it’s so much easier for the archer to make the shot because the target is taking up more of the screen.

• @Coaster_Man:

it’s so much easier for the archer to make the shot because the target is taking up more of the screen.

Don’t zig-zag, if you are that close and you run in 1 direction around the archer, they can’t turn their bow fast enough.

What I like to do – say im running straight at the archer and he’s just about to finish pulling his bow back. Run right for literally 0.1-0.2 seconds then run left the entire way and around him.

They will most likely have turned too far to their left when they saw you run that way, and now they won’t be able to catch up to their right side.

• I meant that I would zig zag on my way to close the gap, but yes I see how your strategy up close would be effective.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Coaster_Man:

it’s so much easier for the archer to make the shot because the target is taking up more of the screen.

Don’t zig-zag, if you are that close and you run in 1 direction around the archer, they can’t turn their bow fast enough.

What I like to do – say im running straight at the archer and he’s just about to finish pulling his bow back. Run right for literally 0.1-0.2 seconds then run left the entire way and around him.

They will most likely have turned too far to their left when they saw you run that way, and now they won’t be able to catch up to their right side.

I never got how I am supposed to know when they are about to shoot. :?

• @akazi:

Mindgames, son.

• @akazi:

If they’re using a crossbow you just have to guess, with bows almost everybody good tends to shoot as soon as they can at close range, so evading at the moment they’re fully drawn quite often dodges shots that close.

More distance between you and the archer gives them much more confidence to spend time aiming and requires them to be more precise in prediction, so wait longer to evade at longer distances, you will eventually get a feel for when to evade based on distance and how you perceive the calibre of the enemy archer.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@SOC:

Why did this change all of a sudden?

Some good archers like to do this as well – high risk, high reward though.

It’s either because they’re feeling confident, or they realized you are too close for them to switch anyway, so they might as well go for the shot.

Yeah a lot of archers are doing this now. Nothing has changed other than some people deciding to do it this way.

If they hit you you flinch and that’s time for them to get their secondary out.

As then your also on low health.

Just very easy to miss the shot.

Though they have realised that most players will dodge the arrows untill they swing. An when they start swing they stop moving side to side and are just combing straight on.

Some archers have realised this and adapted to it.

The noobs tr and do this an often die.

Its far safer to switch early.